AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the pd-42wv74 over the w/e and hooked it up with twc hd cable. all i can say is WOW! really amazing PQ and I didn't even tweak it other than changing to Theater Pro mode. Now i got some questions to see if you guys can help me out:

1. Is there any secret or hidden or service menu on this unit?

2. On 720p signals, why is the only aspect ratio mode available is FULL?

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Congratulations on your new plasma. I have the WX84 and also cannot be more pleased with the picture quality.

There is a service menu. However, I do not have access codes (and would also like to find that information out). I am trying to get a hold of a copy of the Service Manual for the plasma, as well. There is a site on Ebay that supposedly will sell the SM in a cd-rom. If anyone else has that information please post or send a PM. Thanks.

Are you using the DVI input or component 1 or 2? My cable box outputs at 1080i or 480i (SA4200HD) with Cablevision, through component connections. Therefore I would never have seen this issue on my component feed since I it has only received those resolutions from the cable box and a 480p setting from my old Panny RP56 DVD player.

I use the DVI for the Samsung HD931 DVD player. It locks in only to "full" at the 720p signal and does not allow any scaling (like the 10801 and 480p settings).

I thought that this occurred only on the HD WX84 model because it 's resolution is 1024 x 768 and 720p would be its "native" resolution. However, if the wv74 does this as well, then I am not sure why either?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks frawls1

A service manual would be great! Panny owners rule this forum, we are definitely the minority, but jvc really gives panny a great competition. all the extra features(free stand, media box, standard dvi-hdcp, attached speakers, slick silver n black looks) in my opinion put it over both the panny commercial and consumer models. I'm not trying to start a flaming war, but with the long back log for pannies, I think jvc is really a viable alternative with similar pricing.

I'm using DVI with time warner's pioneer hd box, it can output 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i. i can scale any channel except ABC HD at 720p which is strange to me. I'm afraid to call jvc's tech support cuz i think they are probably just useless like alot of customer reps for other vendors as well.

In the mean time, I'm really enjoying this plasma...thinking of buying another one for the bedroom :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've been trying to establish whether the WV74 accepts 720p and by this thread it does, at least via DVI, but without aspect ratio control. I suspect this is just HDCP. Does it accept 720p via component?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.