AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm losing a lot of sleep over this Dish vs. DirecTV issue!

I am leaning towards DTV (which I already have) and purchasing the TU-HDS20. Why? Although I would really like CBS-HD, the reality is that I will be doing my majority of viewing of standard channels. The panny is reportedly the best at upconverting 480i. (I know I could buy an iScan and Dish, but that would be out of my price range)

Does it upconvert considerably better than your set? I have a Toshiba 65H80 and standard channels are horrible. Will I be looking at a marked improvement or is this asking too much?

Do you upconvert the 480i to 480p (hybrid mode) or to 1080i?

Did the software upgrade fix the slow menus to your satisfaction? or are they still too slow compared to other units?

Please let me know anything else that will help me! (yes I know the fan is noisy!)

Thanks!

Dean

·
Registered
26 Posts
I upconvert. It does look better. Considerably better, well, I think it looks better than the internal doubler in my Mitsu RPTV. Sometimes I also upconvert to 1080i and it seems more lifelife than 480i. You still get some artifacts, but not as many as 480i. Since I use Tivo, I'm in 480i pretty frequently, as any other setting tunrs off the NTSC outputs.

I am very happy with the software upgrade's impact on the menu speed. Of course, now that I have Tivo, I use its program guide instead of the Panny program guide, so it is less of an issue.

Overall, despite the fact I had to exchange my TUHDS20 for a new one and Panny customer service is bad, I do like my unit, a lot! HD OTA is just amazing when the show show originates in 1080i. Just wish i could control the resolution from my Pronto.

Lee

·
Registered
464 Posts
I use mine in hybrid mode on my Tosh 55x81. After being brow-beaten about the slow speed, and lousy, really lousy remote, the software update placated my wife enough to just complain about the remote only every other day! It does do a better job upconverting than the IDSC, and the aspect button on the remote is a great feature. I also would like to second, third, and fourth the remark about Panasonic customer service being lousy. They really "create a vacuum with their mouths"!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.