AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ht is approximately 3696 ft^3. All openings in the room can be shut. I currently have a VTF-2. While I love this sub, it does not give me the impact in the chest during movies that I am looking for in this space. It used to in my smaller ht, but not in this one.

I have been looking at various options (i.e. vmps, svs, stryke diy, vtf-3...etc.), but the one intriguing me the most that seems to best fit into my budget level ~$650 is the upcoming HSU STF12. Dr. Hsu has emailed me stating that the STF12 is equal to the VTF-3 locked in max output mode. I have done exhaustive research on this site and others regarding the VTF-3 and it's different output modes. I have read in a couple of places that max output is the preferred mode over max extension for the VTF-3.

My questions for VTF-3 owners are:

1. Is max output really the preferred mode?

2. If the STF12 is in fact a VTF-3 in max output, will it fill my ht with the desired "slam effect"? (I will probably be using it along with my VTF-2)

FWIW, I do not listen to organ music.

Thanks.

Kent

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
Kent,

I own a VTF-3, and have it in max extension mode. The reasons I have it this way is because I know it will go low if needed, and that is the way I initially set it up. I once set it up to max output, and saw a 2-3db gain when I set the SPL with my meter.

My room is only about 2300 ft^3, and with the gain only up a quarter turn, it is more than enough for my room.

Since you are in the LA area...you are more than welcome to check it out. And you can just make an appointment with Hsu Research and drive over to Anaheim.

The STF-12 (which I just read will be named the STF-3), looks like an outstanding value.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:
My questions for VTF-3 owners are:

1. Is max output really the preferred mode?

2. If the STF12 is in fact a VTF-3 in max output, will it fill my ht with the desired "slam effect"? (I will probably be using it along with my VTF-2)

FWIW, I do not listen to organ music.

Thanks.

Kent
I have both the VTF-3 and VTF-2 and use both in deep bass mode. With the VTF-3 I simply did not need any more output (spl) down to 22Hz (high output mode). It sounds like the STF-3 will be the best choice if you want that slam which all happens above 22Hz anyhow. No matter what people say there really is very little in most recordings below 22Hz (besides organ). I think at $610 the STF-3 looks pretty well ideal for most people who are not organ fanatics. Ask Sasha at Hsu, but the release is Oct 1st according to the web site so all the answers will become well known as to what people think of the new STF-3. The price looks absolutely excellent, and knowing Hsu research the sound will be well up with the best in this category. Hsu never seem to fail to live up to most peoples expectations especially for the great prices.

Ddvaidson

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.