AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) On Audio magazines that I have read, they mentioned about different speaker cable brands running from 30 British Pound/meter to 120 British Pound/meter is this shenanigans or are they actually legit reviews? have any one heard of speaker cable company called van den hul?

2) What is the purpose of bi-wiring? I see that some floorstanding speakers have 4 instead of 2. Can you use speaker cable that is meant to be combined with volume control (4 different wire bundled into 1 cable)

3) Do you need both an Amplifier and Receiver for a Home Theater setup?

4) How is a high end Blu-ray player or CD player ($1000s) any better than a PlayStation 3?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
1) Waste of money

2) No real purpose except a way for speaker companies to up their price. Supposedly it gives you better audio quality, I have been hard pressed in noticing the difference myself

3) It depends on the speakers you have, how loud you want your system to be, and the size of your room. For 90% of home audio set-ups and users a quality AVR(receiver) will have plenty of power.

4) Its all perception, A higher end Blu-ray will have more outputs than a PS3 might yield slightly better video quality but I have found that the PS3 to be a great BD and CD player. Though I have never personally tested a $1000 Oppo against my PS3

·
Registered
19 Posts
1) All of those fancy cables are a rip off in my opinion.

2) Bi wiring does little to nothing. However, bi amping can be done. Bi amping is the use of one amplifier for the high frequency and one amplifier for the low frequency. In this case, a person would have a preamp running into a crossover which splits the signal to the appropriate amplifier. In my opinion, not worth it unless you have a lot of money. Even then i question the reason for Bi amping.

3) It really depends on your setup, but a reciever by its self should do ya just fine.

4) More features, possibly better sound/video.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.