AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Countless hours of reading through the DIY threads has convinved me DIY route is the way to go and I am current at the stage of no going back. I have ordered the speakers form Erich and assembled the 2x 15" Dayton ultimax 22 from Part-express. I am about to wire the speakon and connect it to my Inuke 3kdsp. No matter how much I read, I am still confused and would hope some experienced folks here help me with my questions

1. My 2 subs will connect to 2 channels on the Inuke 3kdsp. The sub has RMS of 800W and max of 1,600w, and the Inuke is rated to deliver 2x1500w in 2Ohms and 2x900W in 4Ohms. How should I wire my sub to get to 2ohms? I read somewhere in the forum saying that wiring in series will give 4Ohms, whereas in parallel 2x2ohms will result in 1ohm (shouldn't it be 2ohms if wiring in parallel - I am confused). The subs have dual voice coils, don't know if that would make a difference?

2. Given the specs of my subs and the Inuke 3k, is the above wiring and connection ideal or is there other better alternative? Am I better of to go with the Inuke 6k? Addtional $150 would not be a problem. I don't think I will add more subs to my room though. 2 are the max I could do given the size of my room (9Wx15Dx8H)

3. From the AVR to Inuke: My AVR is Denon 3313, and looks like it has 2 output for subwoofer marked as SW1 and SW2 Preout. My understanding is I could use 2 RCA-XLR cable to connect my AVR to my Inuke and don't need a splitter? If so, what mode should I set my Inuke (stereo, mono or dual mono)?

4. Speakon wiring: since I will use 2 channels on my Inuke, I should wire the speakon on my subs +1 -1 and +2 -2 respectively (could you please confirm if it's correct?). I am using the 4 pole speakon plate.

5. For the speakon cable to go between the subs and amp, is there anything I should pay attention to?

Never in my life had I thought I would build a speaker myself, not to mention a subwoofer; and now I am doing it. It's all thanks to you guys here on AVS.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Months of reading through the DIY threads has convinved me DIY route is the way to go and I am current at the stage of no going back. I have ordered the speakers form Erich and assembled the 2x 15" Dayton ultimax 22 from Part-express. I am about to wire the speakon and connect it to my Inuke 3kdsp. No matter how much I read, I am still confused and would hope some experienced folks here help me with my questions

1. My 2 subs will connect to 2 channels on the Inuke 3kdsp. The sub has RMS of 800W and max of 1,600w, and the Inuke is rated to deliver 2x1500w in 2Ohms and 2x900W in 4Ohms. How should I wire my sub to get to 2ohms? I read somewhere in the forum saying that wiring in series will give 4Ohms, whereas in parallel 2x2ohms will result in 1ohm (shouldn't it be 2ohms if wiring in parallel - I am confused). The subs have dual voice coils, don't know if that would make a difference?

2. Given the specs of my subs and the Inuke 3k, is the above wiring and connection ideal or is there other better alternative? Am I better of to go with the Inuke 6k? Addtional $150 would not be a problem. I don't think I will add more subs to my room though. 2 are the max I could do given the size of my room (9Wx15Dx8H)

3. From the AVR to Inuke: My AVR is Denon 3313, and looks like it has 2 output for subwoofer marked as SW1 and SW2 Preout. My understanding is I could use 2 RCA-XLR cable to connect my AVR to my Inuke and don't need a splitter? If so, what mode should I set my Inuke (stereo, mono or dual mono)?

4. Speakon wiring: since I will use 2 channels on my Inuke, I should wire the speakon on my subs +1 -1 and +2 -2 respectively (could you please confirm if it's correct?). I am using the 4 pole speakon plate.

5. For the speakon cable to go between the subs and amp, is there anything I should pay attention to?

Never in my life had I thought I would build a speaker myself, not to mention a subwoofer; and now I am doing it. It's all thanks to you guys here on AVS.
The inuke 3000dsp should be fine if you don't plan on adding any more subs to your setup. If you plan on running a stereo setup, then the only wiring option you have is to wire each sub to reflect 4 ohms and connect each sub to it's own channel on your inuke. In this configuration, you can just wire the subs to the speakon using +1 and -1. If your plans are to bridge the inuke then you would wire each sub to reflect 1 ohm and then series wire the subs together to reflect a 2 ohm load. Then there is a specific wiring configuration for the speakon to put the amp in bridge mode. I've never done that so perhaps someone else will come along and add the instruction on how this is accomplished. You could also search the forums and google and I'm certain you will find out the speakon wire configuration to put the amp in bridge mode.

Reactions: owlvn

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
That sub is a 2+2 voice coil, Wired you would either make it see a total of 1ohm or 4 ohms final load per sub. Wired together with two you would end up seeing total of 2ohm or 8 ohms.

The inuke @2ohms puts out 1200 rms @ 4 its about 750. You can bridge the Inuke @4 ohms to be around 2200ish. That said I would not use the inuke 3k to power those subs. Putting them together for 2 ohm only gives each sub 600rms and that is underpowering those subs. I would give each 1000 easily or doulbe that for the matter.

You are much better off with getting the inuke6k if you call up samash.com and ask they should give you a discount I got all mine for $350 each shipped. This would give you a total load of 4ohms per channel and you would be giving each sub around 2000rms. You can set a limiter on the DSP if you where afraid of overpowering them. But its much cleaner power then running that 2ohm load. More power doesnt break subs, underpowering and distortion does.

I would rather you run the inuke 3k @ 4ohms per channel giving each sub 700ish watts than running them both off a single 2ohm channel. For the money I would actually suggest not getting the 15" Um15's and getting HT18's they are cheaper and you could run them in a sealed box if size is an issue. I have 12 of them and give each 1200rms and they love it.

The inukes are a bargain for the watt but you also need to have the power on tap to feed them. The ep4000 is also a great amp and wont power cycle when clipping like the inukes do, its rather annoying. They both like having a lot of juice sent to them on tap so the less stuff you have hooked up to your line the better. I would suggest not using a power strip at all and plugging the amp straight into the wall, if its a inuke6k a 20amp would be ideal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you plan on running a stereo setup, then the only wiring option you have is to wire each sub to reflect 4 ohms and connect each sub to it's own channel on your inuke. If your plans are to bridge the inuke then you would wire each sub to reflect 1 ohm and then series wire the subs together to reflect a 2 ohm load.
Thanks. Not mean to challenge your commetns, just want to clarify a few things for my learning.

1. What are the pros and cons of running stereo vs. dual mono? Does stereo mode give you more flexibility in term of making specfic adjustment to each channel vs. dual mono? I am doing 90% movie and 10% music.

2. Regarding wiring for bridge mode, you meant I connect 2 subs together (in series) and then from one sub connect to the amp? But I thought we should do the bridge when there is one only sub to get twice the power output form the amp?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are much better off with getting the inuke6k if you call up samash.com and ask they should give you a discount I got all mine for $350 each shipped. This would give you a total load of 4ohms per channel and you would be giving each sub around 2000rms. You can set a limiter on the DSP if you where afraid of overpowering them. But its much cleaner power then running that 2ohm load. More power doesnt break subs, underpowering and distortion does.

I would rather you run the inuke 3k @ 4ohms per channel giving each sub 700ish watts than running them both off a single 2ohm channel. For the money I would actually suggest not getting the 15" Um15's and getting HT18's they are cheaper and you could run them in a sealed box if size is an issue. I have 12 of them and give each 1200rms and they love it.

The inukes are a bargain for the watt but you also need to have the power on tap to feed them. The ep4000 is also a great amp and wont power cycle when clipping like the inukes do, its rather annoying. They both like having a lot of juice sent to them on tap so the less stuff you have hooked up to your line the better. I would suggest not using a power strip at all and plugging the amp straight into the wall, if its a inuke6k a 20amp would be ideal.
Looks like the Inuke 6kdsp is the winner. I heard people raving about dsp, though I have no clue how to use it yet. Regarding the woofer, I know that the HT18 is better in term of performance/price compared to UM15", but size is an issue and even with the 15", I still have to do sealed. Also Part express offer the package (woofer and box) at attractive price, so hard to pass.

Regarding the Inuke 6k, is $350 for the dsp version? Do I have to get a dedicated 20amp outlet just for the Inuke? Can I get away with using dual outlet on the same 20amp breaker, one for the Inuke and the other for power strip?

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
there are several ways to do it, but here is one.
this question comes up all the time, so here is a picture. I'm not sure if the red/black are reversed or not on the um15-22. in any case, just follow the colors.

both channels would be wired this way. the 2+ and 2- posts are NOT used on either sub.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
the 6000dsp is probably worth the extra bit of coin. that way at full power for the driver, the amp won't be clipping out at all.

20 amp circuit is not required.

the dsp in the 6000dsp is easy to use. can be downloaded prior to purchase. lots of folks familiar with it too, so any questions should not be a problem.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Thanks. Not mean to challenge your commetns, just want to clarify a few things for my learning.

1. What are the pros and cons of running stereo vs. dual mono? Does stereo mode give you more flexibility in term of making specfic adjustment to each channel vs. dual mono? I am doing 90% movie and 10% music.

2. Regarding wiring for bridge mode, you meant I connect 2 subs together (in series) and then from one sub connect to the amp? But I thought we should do the bridge when there is one only sub to get twice the power output form the amp?
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the benefit of dual mono over stereo is the ability to eq each channel separately. If my statement is factually incorrect, someone please correct me. I agree with lemon on getting the 6000. This way if you do, I know you mentioned you wouldn't, but if you ever changed your mind on adding more subs, then the 6000 would allow you to do so. I have 4 15s and as lemon has already stated, get the 18s so you won't regret not getting them like I am now:(

BTW if you do get the inuke 6000dsp, it's not bridgeable and it's only stable down to 4 ohms, so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
lol. i tried to answer that, but i guess it wasn't clear. :)

each wire for each channel to each sub is wired identically. the only difference is one gets plugged into channel A and one gets plugged into channel B.

2+ and 2- is NOT used on either cable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you LTD. But why at the back of the amp, it shows 1+ and 1- for Ch A, and 2+ and 2- for Ch B? I am just curious.

Would wiring be different between Dual mono and Stereo mode?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dang!!! Wish I could turn back time. I alreayd put together the cabinets, so it's too late to go back. Maybe that will be my next upgrade. Lesson learned.
1. PE is good about returns / exchanges if you wanted different subs.
2. What size are the cabinets? You might be able to modify them to hold the 460HO.
3. Or finish the build with what you have, I love my 3 UM15s and 2 iNUKE 6000dsp combo.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Thank you LTD. But why at the back of the amp, it shows 1+ and 1- for Ch A, and 2+ and 2- for Ch B? I am just curious.

I'll answer this one. Notice there is another "Channel B" diagram shown below the one you referenced. That is for the second sub. The 2+ and 2- shown above it is grouped with the "A" channel, because that's how you would wire a single plug (with 4 conductors) to Bridge the amp, and then you would only plug into output "CH A". You are not doing that.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts

that is for an alternative wiring method that will also work. in that case, you would wire subwoofer 2 to the 2+ and 2- outputs of channel A. since that methods tends to cause more problems and confusion, I suggested the other approach. both will work the same.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts