AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am about to purchase a sony 1031q from a member of the avsforum.

He said that he had two of them when he turned it on but one of them was not as bright as the other one. I think the one he is selling to me is the one that is not brighter.

He said that there were no wear on the green or red tube but for the blue tube it is even within the raster - what does that mean?

thanks, and it will be shipped to me. I heard that ppl here tried shipping this model but it never worked?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Depends on the tubes. SD-130's are the dimmest, then SD-187's, then 07MS being the brightest. They are all interchangeable.

I think I got the numbers right... I'm tired....

I guess he means the blue is worn, but the raster is evenly filling out this wear. Tubes are fairly easy to get for this projector. No worries.

If you get it in working shape, you can always enhance it later.

Marc

·
Registered
16,935 Posts
I have slight 4:3 wear on my Blue SD-187 and I use the area inside the wear area with great results [ my 1031Q throws a very nice image ] .

-- Wear is fine as long as it is not Burn .

-- Best of Luck with the shipping ,

--- Jason

·
Registered
496 Posts
"I heard that ppl here tried shipping this model but it never worked?"

That all depends on how it is shipped and how it is packed. As an example, I have shipped several 10XX units via UPS, with ZERO problems. On the other hand, I know Curt has stated he had one smashed by UPS. I believe we both double box, double bubble, etc, so it wasnt the packing. My suggestion: If you are after a parts machine, no fear is needed with UPS. If you want it to work 100%, consider shipping it strapped to a pallet - and in any case insure it for a grand, since you can easily prove the list price on the unit is more than 1g...

As for which is brighter - it does depend some on the tubes as Marc said. But there is an often overlooked adjustment. I have seen some of these units be so dark you would think the tubes were fried. Properly readjust the G2 (On the focus/g2 block) and gain controls (on edge of the board next to the convergence board) and you will probably be able to see the light. BTW- in my experience these controls often need to be adjusted due to previous people "playing" with them...

--Kieth

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aw man...

there is also a problem with shipping. Which would be better? FedEX or UPS? Or forward air? I heard about that but do they ship it to your house? Because I have no car and I never heard of forward air before.

·
Registered
16,935 Posts
FedEx would be the better choice with no car since Forward Air has to be picked up at/near your local airport [ from what I have read ] . I think FedEx will be a little more $$$ but worth it IMO .

--- Best Wishes ,

--- Jason

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Forward Air only does depot-to-depot (airport to airport) transportation. Basically they hitch rides on whatever they can find cheaply. If you're in Quincy, then getting out to Logan to pick up a projector without a car is going to be a challenge. Do you have any friends with jogging strollers? That might carry a 1031q. Otherwise, you may be looking at Bax (all around a good outfit in my limited experience) door to door.

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might need a blue 6" crt tube. How much is it for a used one that is 07ms?

Or do you poeple know where I can buy it for less than $100? Because on ebay, there are some for like $39.99 but it ended already.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Blue tubes in good condition are always hard to find. I think you will find good blue tubes (read:guaranteed good) will cost 300 bucks, give or take, used... If you find one for 40 bucks, I can almost promise its busted/roasted. Hindsight being 20-20, and realizing it costs 600 bucks to rebuild the tube "to new condition", it almost always better to find a PJ with good tubes to begin with.

On the positive side, Ive seen 10xx units through a very acceptable picture with tubes that were complete toast. It really just depends on how critical of a viewer you are.

Why not wait till you get the unit before making a decision??

--Kieth

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
i second keith's motion...just wait til you get it and fire it up and see what you're up against.you may very well be surprised and not feel the need to start changing things right away...

one of the first things i did when i got mine was to take off the lens assembly and clean behind my crt's...wasn't that dirty,but thought it might be a good idea..

brickie

·
Registered
16,935 Posts
Actually that is a great idea brickie since the Sony 10XX/12XX line is known for having a dark dusty build up on the tube faces from the HVPS after time .

--- Jason

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Actually, I got quoted $300/tube for new 07MS from VDC (same price for SD-187's as well). I don't think you can retube an SD or 07 tube...

What you really need is for people to quit bidding $400 for 1040Q's, so you can them for parts...

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Could be. He might have gotten mixed up as to which tube we were talking about...

Echow - The eBay auctions that were at ~$40/tube were definitely SD-187's. The seller put in 07MS as a search term trap, and it was confusing until you read the text/looked at the picture. I recently paid $40 for a 07MS red tube, but the guy who sold it to me shipped it via USPS in a flimsy old cardboard box (that was used to hold reams of paper) with only newspaper for packing material. The completely expected happened, and now I'm waiting for him to figure out how to refund my money.

Net-net: even if you find a bargain on tubes, make sure the seller knows how to ship the things, or else you won't be getting your bargain on tubes...

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Worth it just for the tubes. Throw the rest away and stick them in a 1031.

Marc

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.