AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1954 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing a search on wireless media extenders today and came across the new DLink one: http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=438

I was wondering if anyone had new information on this. It looks like you can purchase it from DLink and a couple other online retailers but they don't give a release date. On Best Buy's website, it just says "coming soon".

This sounds like the perfect solution for me except for one thing. The supported audio file list doesn't include AAC. I could care less about being able to stream DRM protected AAC files from the iTunes Store since I've never bought one song there but a lot of my music files are in the unprotected AAC format since I use an iPod and imported a lot of my CDs in iTunes. Does anyone know if it'd be possible to play AAC songs with the DSM-520?

Additionally, does anyone know if it's capable of streaming VOB files from DVDs that I've ripped on my computer? If this thing can play AAC files and VOB files, I'm definitely picking one of these up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just ordered one this week. Although they are backordered, it look about as close as it comes to an easy plug and play solution to streaming music, rhapsody, napster, and pictures in HD as is out there.

We'll see - i'll let you know when (if it ever gets off backorder) i get it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Will this play vob files over the network? I am looking for a sleek device with HDMI to cleanly hook up to my LCD display. I can't find anything on the spec sheet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had just bought a DSM-320 which works great but I was interested in the 520 because of the HD. I emailed D-Link and they told me that it would NOT support HD photos, only video. This was very disappointing. They did say there was no technical reason why it could not. So hopefully a firmware upgrade in the future will allow this. Since I only use the 320 for pictures and music, I see no reason to upgrade at this time. And I would advise holding off until it can be verified that HD photos will work. I am actually shocked that D-Link would omit this feature.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
now that has to be the most retarded thing ever. you would think the first thing they would do is see what the competition has and at least equal the features. he roku has been doing hd photos for what a year now?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Like the DSM-320, this DSM-520 supports VOB under the Mpeg2 file type of the Server software. Look in the manual under server installation and you'll see VOB file type listed. Also supports WMV9 (not WMV8 or earlier) (720p only), AVI (MPEG4 layer only, 1080i), and MPEG2 (1080i). All this thing is missing is an ATSC tuner and 802.11n, then it would be close to perfect!

·
Registered
55 Posts
This looks like a cool device. My only issue is since it doesnt have an internal hard drive would a USB 2.0 Hard Drive be able to keep up with the speed of a 8GB VOB? My problem is I need to go wireless and Wireless G just isnt going to be fast enough most likely.

I have an MG-35 on order, but this device looks pretty sweet.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking of buying a USB 2.0 spec external HDD. According to the USB2.0 specs, it's faster than standard firewire, 480Mbps vs 400Mbps. That's roughly 60 MB / second!! Firewire standard improvements has increased to 800Mbps, but that's just a side note.

As a point of reference, Ethernet (wired) 10/100 LAN transfer rate is 100Mbps or 12.5MB / second, Blu-Ray transfer rate is 36 Mbps and HD-DVD transfer rate is 36.55 Mbps. DVD only requires 1,350 KB/s or 1.35 MB/s. I doubt the HDMI is the bottle neck since it can transfer uncompressed HD signals. In a way, I'm glad it doesn't have an internal HDD, it keeps the price down initially, and when you feel like upgrading, you could hook up an external USB2.0 HDD for your media storage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Okay so the Extermal USB HD shouldnt be an issue. How does this unit compare with the MG-35? I have an MG-35 but I would be tempted to return it for this. The only thing I dont like the USB port is in the front of the unit.

·
Registered
496 Posts
AFAIK the Dlink DSM-520 doesn't support IFO files, but they may implement that feature in a future firmware update or perhaps next years model. Since it already supports VOB files, there are ways around that issue.

As for a comparison, I like the DSM-520 more due to the HDMI connection, WMV9 support, MPEG Playlist file (m3u, pls), SRT subtitles, more photo file types (JPEG, GIF, BMP, TIFF, PNG), fits into any audio cabinet due to it's slim design, optical/coax audio pass-through not limited to only DTS, no issues with

So yeah, it doesn't support IFO files, but based on the other things it does support, I'm willing to give that up. So it depends on how important IFO support is for you guys.

I'm ordering mine later this week. I'll try to answer more questions in detail when it arrives.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Any idea when there may be an internal dvd version of this device available? I really like the device, but I want to be able to replace my DVD player with it and not have an additional device.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrixx /forum/post/0

Any idea when there may be an internal dvd version of this device available? I really like the device, but I want to be able to replace my DVD player with it and not have an additional device.

Maybe you can use an external DVD player w/ the USB port...

·
Registered
698 Posts
This device (and all related ones) always list "WMA" audio compatibility.

I was wondering if this automatically included WMA lossless? Can't find any info on lossless playback of these machines, for me this is very important.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves Smolders /forum/post/0

This device (and all related ones) always list "WMA" audio compatibility.

I was wondering if this automatically included WMA lossless? Can't find any info on lossless playback of these machines, for me this is very important.

Thanks for the info!

We won't know til we see one -- all of the other Sigmabased players don't playe WMA lossless so I expect we won't see it here either.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-y /forum/post/0

Maybe you can use an external DVD player w/ the USB port...

Woot!

I got this from the D-Link product info ppl:

Hello,

Yes, according to D-Link`s Multimedia Department this application can

be implemented. Please contact me if you have any additional

questions or product inquiries.

ADMIN NOTE: Conctact information removed
Gigabit Ethernet would be cool to have in a future product, too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have concern about this unit playing HD video.

Manual says it plays MPEG-2 HD 1080i up to 8Mbps.

As far as I know HD broadcast (1080i or 720p) and JVC HDV (720p) is @ 19Mbps, and Sony HDV (1080i) is @25Mbps.

There is no MPEG-2 HD video with 8Mbps.

What's up with that?

1 - 20 of 1954 Posts