AVS Forum banner

441 - 460 of 1954 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
or I feel that way...


I have a dsm 520 running hardwired to a dlink n router with tversity loaded on my computer. Sharing is on, service starts, I can see it on my network from the computer. But, when I start the dsm the only server ti finds in my pc server which is the dlink server. What am I doing wrong? I think i need step by step with this product
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
What do you mean you can see it on your network from your computer? Try the Tversity forums. There are a lot of DSM-520 users there. Many of the problems seem to be that the Tversity server doesn't start. Try turning on WMV 11 or Windows media connect and see if the DSM can see them. That will tell you whether it's TVersity or the DSM.


Alan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts
Update on the new firmware:

Date of Reply: 3/16/2007

Products: DSM-520

Operating System: Windows XP Pro


I do not have a date of release at this time



Great, just great
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Ok, so I'm finally ready to buy my 520. Now I have to figure out how to configure it to work with my wireless network, or to just plug an external HDD to it directly.


I have a g wireless router. It has 3 extra ethernet ports on it, so I thought I would maybe get a network hard drive enclosure and an internal HDD then plug it into the router which the 520 would access wirelessly. Will this work? Would I need to install anything on the new drive other than my video files?


I have roughly 300 movies to store (they are burned on DVDs now) and I want to store them in the same place. I am using a laptop as my primary machine and I do not have any "spare" desktops to use as a server or anything. and I don't want to keep my laptop on all of the time... AND since I'm certainly not very smart when it comes to networking, I'm posting this question.


I think my other alternative would be to get an external drive and plug it into the USB port on the outside of the player. I assume that I wouldn't need to put anything else on the drive besides the media I want to play in that case.


So in a nutshell, I have 300 movies I want to convert to Dvix or Xvid and store on a Harddrive. I do not want to keep my laptop on all of the time to serve up these movies. How should I configure my storage to server up to the player? And is there anything else I need to know before I pull the trigger and spend some bucks on the 520 and "stuff".... Please help with some advise, as I've read all 15 pages of this post and I'm still rather confused. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhatten99 /forum/post/0


So in a nutshell, I have 300 movies I want to convert to Dvix or Xvid and store on a Harddrive.

Do you know how long it will take to convert 300 movies to XVID? Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhatten99 /forum/post/0


Long term goal... but thanks for the sentiment.

I'm really not trying to harass you, so I apologize if this sounds snotty, but what is the justification for such a project? Is it that hard to put in a DVD that will have (arguably) better video quality? I've had this discussion on other boards and I've yet to hear a compelling argument for having an XVID video library that large. Unless I'm missing something, at roughly 2 hours per movie, you're looking at 600 hours of conversion time just for the luxury of choosing a video from a menu instead of from a book case. Just seems like a lot of work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhatten99 /forum/post/0


I have a g wireless router. It has 3 extra ethernet ports on it, so I thought I would maybe get a network hard drive enclosure and an internal HDD then plug it into the router which the 520 would access wirelessly. Will this work? Would I need to install anything on the new drive other than my video files?

It depends: you need to make sure your enclosure has embedded AV UPnP server. You can buy such enclosure or assembled NAS with the server. Or you can buy enclosure, which allows the server to be installed. But the latter is available only through open source projects: error-prone, unreliable and time-consuming. (now I hear all kinds of angry messages and insults flying my way)

Quote:
I think my other alternative would be to get an external drive and plug it into the USB port on the outside of the player. I assume that I wouldn't need to put anything else on the drive besides the media I want to play in that case.

You assume correct, but drawbacks: unsightly cable sticking out of in front of the 520 (USB connector only in front) and hard drive whining next to AV receiver and it does not go away even when you turn everything else off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon /forum/post/0


I'm really not trying to harass you, so I apologize if this sounds snotty, but what is the justification for such a project? Is it that hard to put in a DVD that will have (arguably) better video quality? I've had this discussion on other boards and I've yet to hear a compelling argument for having an XVID video library that large. Unless I'm missing something, at roughly 2 hours per movie, you're looking at 600 hours of conversion time just for the luxury of choosing a video from a menu instead of from a book case. Just seems like a lot of work.

But when you tried such luxury once you're not going back: my wife had exactly the same argument.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter /forum/post/0


and hard drive whining next to AV receiver and it does not go away even when you turn everything else off.

Some USB HDD enclosures have spindown technology so that wouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter /forum/post/0


But when you tried such luxury once you're not going back: my wife had exactly the same argument.

So, your wife actually says "Wow, this is SO much better than putting a DVD in the drive."
I'm just curious how she shows her gratitude for your uberness. Mine complains that it takes too long to navigate TVeristy to play a CD. Movies would probably be more of the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon /forum/post/0


I'm just curious how she shows her gratitude for your uberness. Mine complains that it takes too long to navigate TVeristy to play a CD. Movies would probably be more of the same.

She fires up 520 herself every time we have guests, good enough for me.


It's not the same for movies because it's just 300 of them and you, probably, have a few thousands MP3s. It's well known problem with all media players on the market today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter /forum/post/0


It's not the same for movies because it's just 300 of them and you, probably, have a few thousands MP3s. It's well known problem with all media players on the market today.

Nah, try TVersity and you'll see what I mean. It takes several clicks to get to the proper folders. It drives her nuts. Customization of the navigation tree is supposed to come in a future version. Then she'll be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter /forum/post/0


She fires up 520 herself every time we have guests, good enough for me.

I understand HOW it's used and why it would look cool to guests, but that's a superficial reason for doing it. I understand the navigation is improved. I'll give you that. It's probably faster to find a disc you want, but honestly, do you save as much time as you put into making the file? Is the quality the same as the DVD? Are you going to regret not waiting for H.264? I could also understand doing it to prevent wear and tear on discs, but you could also make copies to prevent that. I can also think of a few illicit reasons for creating such a library (Netflix dumps or selling originals), but nothing legal would inspire me to take on that kind of project when I have the perfectly good original discs sitting around. Especially when we have a never-ending stream of discs coming from Netflix.


I see this issue on a smaller scale with our music collection. I spent two weekends dumping every CD we have on the file server and I bet in the 5 months since we haven't played 80% of the files. The ratio would be even worse with video since we can't watch hours of video (if we had 300 DVDs) in the background while doing something else. The files would also take hundreds of hours longer to dump and convert. No thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon /forum/post/0


I'm really not trying to harass you, so I apologize if this sounds snotty, but what is the justification for such a project? Is it that hard to put in a DVD that will have (arguably) better video quality? I've had this discussion on other boards and I've yet to hear a compelling argument for having an XVID video library that large. Unless I'm missing something, at roughly 2 hours per movie, you're looking at 600 hours of conversion time just for the luxury of choosing a video from a menu instead of from a book case. Just seems like a lot of work.

I have a lot of burned DVDs and DVDs laying around in cases and I want to clean up the clutter, and just putting them on a piece of furniture wasn't really appealing to me, plus it's still not very organized and certainly not out of sight (let's face it, a bunch of DVDs sitting on shelves is not all that attractive in a media room..atleast not to me). Plus I like my DVR when I have movies or tv saved down on it. It's on demand... and now my video collection will be onDemand as well. It's that simple, and it's cool :) Good enough justification for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhatten99 /forum/post/0


I have a lot of burned DVDs and DVDs laying around in cases and I want to clean up the clutter, and just putting them on a piece of furniture wasn't really appealing to me, plus it's still not very organized and certainly not out of sight (let's face it, a bunch of DVDs sitting on shelves is not all that attractive in a media room..atleast not to me). Plus I like my DVR when I have movies or tv saved down on it. It's on demand... and now my video collection will be onDemand as well. It's that simple, and it's cool :) Good enough justification for me.

BTW, out of desperation, I found another interesting usage of 520: I brought back from Europe a few DVDs my DVD player absolutely refused to recognize. I ripped them to hard drive and voila. My friends were ecstatic, and not because of technology I used, but because they were seeing and listening to beautiful (and unique in USA at the time, I may say) Italian concerts on a big screen TV. That's way beyond luxury.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
I have been struggling with this whole media center -send it to your tv- play it the living room thing for about 6 months. I am embarrassed by the amount of money and all the stupid choices I have made. I thought I had found my answer in the dlink 520. Major not! At first, I was tickled I could finally get some of my computer media to play on my plasma Tv and stereo. But I found the 520 to be so damned slow that I might as well went into my computer room to operate it with the use of the 520. I ran into limitations of far down the alphabet I could go (G) on my playlists. Major frustration. Then, I found if you only played albums or artists within the A-E or the Z-S range it was find. But figure on about 15minutes to get to M (Half way through the A-Z


This is not a plug! It is the reality of what I have tried. I bought an xbox 360, coupled with vista ultimate, and now it functions the way I expect. It is fast and allows me to access all my media.. I get album art, time, artist, genre, etc. I get all of my playlists without freezing after g in the alphabet. I can create playlists, control volume, and access what I need. So, I just want to share my ecperience s and frustrations, money spent, and outright futility I have felt. So far, the Xbox 360 lives up to media center demands to my specifications (by the way, I do not play video games nor have any desire to) All I have ever wanted was my MTV


Wisardd1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter /forum/post/0


BTW, out of desperation, I found another interesting usage of 520: I brought back from Europe a few DVDs my DVD player absolutely refused to recognize. I ripped them to hard drive and voila. My friends were ecstatic, and not because of technology I used, but because they were seeing and listening to beautiful (and unique in USA at the time, I may say) Italian concerts on a big screen TV. That's way beyond luxury.

They were PAL DVDs, right? It is pretty cool that the DSM-520 will play PAL material on NTSC screens. The few times I've tried it the audio was out of sync by the end of the material. Did that happen to you? I imagine the timing gets thrown off because of the different framerates.


wisardd: You should have tried TVersity with the DSM-520. It takes a few clicks to get to your folders, but once you're there it's very easy and fast to navigate material. TVersity works with the XBOX 360 as well. Check it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon /forum/post/0


They were PAL DVDs, right? It is pretty cool that the DSM-520 will play PAL material on NTSC screens. The few times I've tried it the audio was out of sync by the end of the material. Did that happen to you? I imagine the timing gets thrown off because of the different framerates.

PAL - ? I'm not sure, there was nothing on a box or disc saying PAL, NTSC or whatever.

Lip-sync was perfect all the way to the very end, not a single hiccup. And each DVD was 2 - 2.5 hours long. Usually PAL material looks black-and-white on NTSC equipment, but all colors were in place.

What was unusual about them - it took about 1 - 1.5 hours to rip each of them, where normally it takes 8 - 15 mins. Ripping software reported control sum error for almost all blocks. I guess their mastering software did not write them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I bought and returned my DSM-520 the same day.


I record OTA HDTV with a pcHDTV HD-3000 and mythtv. The unit found the mythtv upnp server and could list the available recordings. However it could not play any of them without trouble. All 720p recordings played only audio. 1080i recordings could not play without dropping frame.


All in all, a very disappointing experience.
 
441 - 460 of 1954 Posts
Top