AVS Forum banner

1861 - 1880 of 1954 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
A friend who is a HT fan has a DSM 520. He is pretty happy with it but the inability (or lack of ease) of playing HD content does restrict his media choices a bit. I wonder if I should purchase a Popcorn Hour for Christmas for him? I have one and love it - perhaps the GUI isn't as nice as the D-Link one but there are numerous GUI's out there including the one supplied Swisscenter etc.

He's pretty technically literate, has a home LAN and builds his PC's so setting up a PCH is no problem for him. His only other HD sources (going to a Panasonic 50" HD LCD TV) is a HD cable box that decodes the QAM HD broadcasts on his cable system which are not encrypted.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi all!

Well, I've been very happy with my D-Link DSM-520, and I actually got a second one. So now I have one for the bedroom and one for the living room.

All great!

However, I recently invested in an xBox 360 and as it turns out it can do all of the functions of the DSM-520 (and then some).

I was so impressed that I even purchased a second xBox 360. So I have one for the living room and one for the bedroom, same setup.

My problem now!

I would like to sell the D-Link DSM-520's at a fair rate (they are used) but I have no idea how to go about selling these things. I've never used eBay.

I was wondering if someone here in the forum might be interested in these units and or has any info on the best way and place to try and sell them.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with these boxes, they are in perfect condition (minus the original box that they came in). I am only selling them because of getting the xBox.

And I did not get the xBox to replace them, until I discovered that they do the same thing, which I was unaware of. So it's only that the Xbox does do the same thing that I want to part with the DSM's.

Thanks again for any info (or interest in the units)

Rob

if interested I will give you my personal contact info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi just wondered if anyone else has been experiencing "video unavailable for playback" messages for every video when trying to access Youtube? The Mediamall sever on both my computers and dsm 520 all showing the same message for a few days now. Has Youtube recently changed it's method of streaming does anyone know?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I knew that MediaMall was negotiating with Netflix to stream their Instant movie content, does anyone have any updates on when, if, this is going to happen? I see Netflix is adding this content to Blu-Ray players and Tivo now, and was hoping it would be added to the 520.

Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes! I sent an email to MediaMall support on Sunday but haven't heard from them. It was working the weekend before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday sun /forum/post/14956682

Hi just wondered if anyone else has been experiencing "video unavailable for playback" messages for every video when trying to access Youtube? The Mediamall sever on both my computers and dsm 520 all showing the same message for a few days now. Has Youtube recently changed it's method of streaming does anyone know?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi

The answer to my previous question seems to be yes but it's the other way round. I got a very abrupt and short reply from mediamall saying that "since recent youtube server changes certain videos no longer play" but they'll will on Play On their new (and more importantly for them) money making server. I downloaded Pay On - this completely removes active tv as it installs and it's just a basic menu file system like home content videos music and pictures. It's also full of crap content that is only available in the U.S. and guess what -no youtube access there either. So U.K. users like myself who bought a dsm primarily for youtube on tv are frankly.. stuffed. Ever get the feeling you've been cheated.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I dug around on YouTubes website. Apparently they came out with a new API on the 20th. So I'm guessing that this is what broke MediaMall's app?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Uh, no...at the moment it will not play on their new Play On server program. There are postings on MediaMall's forum that they are receiving an unsupported content message with Play On. Maybe fixing one will fix both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday sun /forum/post/14960196

Hi

The answer to my previous question seems to be yes but it's the other way round. I got a very abrupt and short reply from mediamall saying that "since recent youtube server changes certain videos no longer play" but they'll will on Play On their new (and more importantly for them) money making server.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well here's hoping. It looks like mediamall aren't interested in active tv anymore since PlayOn came along so the only way we'll get access to youtube again will be by default. I really hope the other services on the server don't go the same way.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would think that they would make an update with their ActiveTV app as well. D-Link is using it as part of their marketing. Besides, Play On is technically not supported by MM. Their primary target was PS3 and Xbox users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday sun /forum/post/14967218

Well here's hoping. It looks like mediamall aren't interested in active tv anymore since PlayOn came along so the only way we'll get access to youtube again will be by default. I really hope the other services on the server don't go the same way.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlanza1054 /forum/post/14938000

...I would like to sell the D-Link DSM-520's at a fair rate (they are used) but I have no idea how to go about selling these things. I've never used eBay.

I was wondering if someone here in the forum might be interested in these units and or has any info on the best way and place to try and sell them.

I bought mine brand-new on sale from BestBuy for $120. It's now selling for $200.

Google Shopping has them going for around $150:

http://www.google.com/products?clien...=1&sa=N&tab=wf

My recommendation: eBay them w/o a minimum price. Research has shown that auctions not requiring a minimum bid actually sell at higher prices than those w/ minimum bids.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've emailed with Media Mall engineers in the past. I was having difficulty with PlayOn and the 750. The person I emailed with said they do not plan to support the 520 in any way (this includes PlayOn). In addition, they do not plan to support ActiveTV anymore. This is why the 750 no longer supports it and no longer appears in the advertising. They are moving forward with PlayOn as their only streaming software.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well that makes the 520 officially dead from my perspective. It's kind of unfortunate that the PS# and the XBox markets are killing development for uPnP boxes.

Alan

·
Registered
15 Posts
It has been a while since it was asked so I might as well be the one to do it. Will there be a 1.08? With the talk of the 520 being dead I want to know if I should be looking at eBay for a buyer. If 1.08 is a possibility I will hold out a little longer. I like the box. just wish some of the issues it has would be addressed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok... I goofed. I mentally added one to the version I wanted instead of the version I had.

So, any possibility of there being a 1.07?

·
Registered
99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffeen /forum/post/14978537

I've emailed with Media Mall engineers in the past. I was having difficulty with PlayOn and the 750. The person I emailed with said they do not plan to support the 520 in any way (this includes PlayOn). In addition, they do not plan to support ActiveTV anymore. This is why the 750 no longer supports it and no longer appears in the advertising. They are moving forward with PlayOn as their only streaming software.

The new version of PlayOn came out the other day and it works with the DSM-520 beautifully, I think it's a good replacement for ActiveTV myself, never liked AT much at all..

with Playon all of these services are now put to you with a file structure instead of bloated slow loading menus..

Netflix, Youtube, Hulu.. they all work quickly and flawlessly.

it's really fantastic, the difference since the last release is staggering.

I found it worthless, but with this weekends update.. I'm buying the software. it went from Meh to Wow with that release.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit410 /forum/post/15006020

The new version of PlayOn came out the other day and it works with the DSM-520 beautifully, I think it's a good replacement for ActiveTV myself, never liked AT much at all..

with Playon all of these services are now put to you with a file structure instead of bloated slow loading menus..

Netflix, Youtube, Hulu.. they all work quickly and flawlessly.

it's really fantastic, the difference since the last release is staggering.

I found it worthless, but with this weekends update.. I'm buying the software. it went from Meh to Wow with that release.

Sounds like it's worth trying to beta test, I wonder if one could presume

that the bits are the same regardless of the media server...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayOnManual /forum/post/0

1861 - 1880 of 1954 Posts