AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am planning on going HD soon, and my budget for a TV is $2000. That is max, and I would really like to get 5.1. Unless you tell me to save up more, thats it. With the Logitech speakers I am going to get for 5.1, I dont really need a sound box thing.

This is the TV I was looking at.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...UseBVCookie=No

And the speakers.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9486

Ok, what are the pro and faults of both of those?

Also, I have DirectTV. Do I need to buy anything for that TV there? Also, do I need a tuner for DirectTV? Or another box?

Thank you for answering this, I am a newb at this stuff.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Well since you asked for input....

The speakers you posted are really made more for use with your computer. I'd suggest you do a little research in the audio section of the forums. With a large screen TV you really need some speakers that will do it justice. Buy a separate receiver and some decent moderate cost speakers, and not Bose. You might have to double your $399 but it is well worth it. You might be able to get some decent speakers on Ebay, I got some nice Mission speakers (my preferred brand) that I'm using with my computer there for under $100.

If you want Direct HD you will need a new box, read the $99 thread here, and you might want some sort of antenna depending on where you live.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have those Logitech speakers hooked up to my computer. They sound great when I have my XBox hooked up and am playing a game with 5.1 sound. They may sound okay hooked up to the TV but I think they will be too small for any decent sized room.

Alan

·
Registered
22 Posts
gogogo111: concerning the d* portion of your question:

1. you will need to subscribe to d* hd to enjoy hd broadcasts. that will entail buying (their) hughes hr 10-250 hd dvr ($800 installed by d*). you may be able to buy that unit and the dish seperately, however, you will probably best served by making one call to d*.

2. you may be able to save a couple bucks by getting a tv with less buzzers and whistles.

2. you will probably want a capable avr to power your speakers (re-read matt l's advice) and process the hd signal to your tv.

3. you may wish to check out www.brickwall.com to protect your new toys.

cya, john

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.