AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy the Hitachi 51F59 in the morning at HH Gregg, think I am getting the 51" for $799.99 -$100.00 coupon I have.......so $699.99 + tax

I am just wondering if I should buy there extended warranty at HH Gregg or buy from somewhere else?? I deal with HH Gregg in person and have never had a problem but have heard some horror stories about their in house EW.

My other question is at this time i have Comcast digital cable, my cable comes in home and hooks up to a digital box the cable company gave me(my present tv is a 1981 25" RCA console) and then a cable comes out of box and to tv. I am not very AV smart and wonder with the new tv will I still need that box and if so should I get special cables? Should cable go direct in to my new tv?

Sorry for the same questions that has probably been asked a hundred times, but I looked thru 100's of posts and couldnt find answer.

Thank You!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
EW is a personal decision. I get them for big ticket items.

If the TV has an ATSC tuner, you can over the air HD programming without a cable box. If it has a QAM tuner, you can get unencrypted HD from your cable company without the box.

If you use the cable box, use either Component, DVI or HDMI cable to the TV.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB1986 /forum/post/0

I am going to buy the Hitachi 51F59 in the morning at HH Gregg, think I am getting the 51" for $799.99 -$100.00 coupon I have.......so $699.99 + tax

I am just wondering if I should buy there extended warranty at HH Gregg or buy from somewhere else?? I deal with HH Gregg in person and have never had a problem but have heard some horror stories about their in house EW.

My other question is at this time i have Comcast digital cable, my cable comes in home and hooks up to a digital box the cable company gave me(my present tv is a 1981 25" RCA console) and then a cable comes out of box and to tv. I am not very AV smart and wonder with the new tv will I still need that box and if so should I get special cables? Should cable go direct in to my new tv?

Sorry for the same questions that has probably been asked a hundred times, but I looked thru 100's of posts and couldnt find answer.

Thank You!

Can't answer your question about the EW from HH Gregg. Hitachi is supposed to have an excellent EW program, but not cheap.

As for cable, You will want to upgrade your digital cable box to the HDTV version. This TV does not have a QAM tuner, so you cannot get the digital channels from plugging the cable straight into the tuner.

When you do get the HDTV cable box, connect it to the TV using either HDMI or component cable connections (The RED, BLUE, GREEN cables), plus the audio (RED, WHITE) cables. If you have a surround system, the digital audio should go to the surround receiver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there anyway to get away from this Digital box I have to use to get digital cable channels?

If I am understanding everything correct. Comcast says I have to pay an extra $7 per month for an HDTV box.......shouldnt this HDTV box replace my digital box or will I have to use both boxes?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:

Is there anyway to get away from this Digital box I have to use to get digital cable channels?

If I am understanding everything correct. Comcast says I have to pay an extra $7 per month for an HDTV box.......shouldnt this HDTV box replace my digital box or will I have to use both boxes?

Thanks!

Do yourself the favor of getting the HD-DVR box from Comcast. Since the rate increase (did your Comcast bill go up too?), I beleive that the monthy fee for the HD-DVR is $11.95 (in central CA). I know that on my bill that total includes both the DVR fee and the HD package fee. And it's the only box you will have to use.

Totally worth it, I think. The ability to record/pause/rew/ff/ HD programming is so choice!
Most of what gets watched in my house are primetime network series (no reality shows!!!). Virtually all the evening dramas and sitcoms are now shown in HD. And we can watch 'em whenever we want in HD. Very Nice!!! And it's dual-tuner so you can record up to 2 things @ the same time.

·
Registered
852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 /forum/post/0

Do yourself the favor of getting the HD-DVR box from Comcast. Since the rate increase (did your Comcast bill go up too?), I beleive that the monthy fee for the HD-DVR is $11.95 (in central CA). I know that on my bill that total includes both the DVR fee and the HD package fee. And it's the only box you will have to use.

Totally worth it, I think. The ability to record/pause/rew/ff/ HD programming is so choice!
Most of what gets watched in my house are primetime network series (no reality shows!!!). Virtually all the evening dramas and sitcoms are now shown in HD. And we can watch 'em whenever we want in HD. Very Nice!!! And it's dual-tuner so you can record up to 2 things @ the same time.

is the ability to record a show and then fast forward over all the commercials. it's kind of sad when you think about it a half hour show is really only about 20 minutes. my wife and i love the hd-dvr

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigdaddye /forum/post/0

is the ability to record a show and then fast forward over all the commercials. it's kind of sad when you think about it a half hour show is really only about 20 minutes. my wife and i love the hd-dvr

Also nice is the ability to start a show that's still recording. Often can't wait to see 24 or LOST (when it comes back). Usually start those shows about 20-30 minutes after they start broadcasting. Get to see 'em the night they air, but still get to ff all the commercials.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone!

I ended up with the Hitachi 57F59A. I went to Comcast and got the HD Box and returned my digital box. I got everything hooked up but I have something happenign that kinda bugs me.

Comcast only has about 15 channels that are HDTV, when I go to them channels my picture is incredible!! It looks like a $3000 picture. My problem now is when I go to regular channels the picture just looks fuzzy compared to the HDTV channels.....I guess thats just becuase the HD looks so much cleaner.

WHen I scroll thru my COmcast channels I notice a lot of shows in primetime says HD.....now just because it says HD should I be able to get it in HD, or does it have to be on a channel that Comcast lists under HDTV?

I am really confused. I am AV stupid so thanks for bearing with me. I really appreciate everyones help!

Thanks,

Randy

·
Registered
852 Posts

Quote:

Thanks everyone!

I ended up with the Hitachi 57F59A. I went to Comcast and got the HD Box and returned my digital box. I got everything hooked up but I have something happenign that kinda bugs me.

Comcast only has about 15 channels that are HDTV, when I go to them channels my picture is incredible!! It looks like a $3000 picture. My problem now is when I go to regular channels the picture just looks fuzzy compared to the HDTV channels.....I guess thats just becuase the HD looks so much cleaner.

WHen I scroll thru my COmcast channels I notice a lot of shows in primetime says HD.....now just because it says HD should I be able to get it in HD, or does it have to be on a channel that Comcast lists under HDTV?

I am really confused. I am AV stupid so thanks for bearing with me. I really appreciate everyones help!

Thanks,

Randy

check and see if comcast has a list of channels on there website or just look at your guide for your cable. it should list which channels are hd and which are not. also if you hit info ( at least on time warner cable) it will say if it's hd also all of the hd channels from time warner are in the 700 range and i would think comcast is similar to twc with all the hd channels listed next to each other. hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I'm a new user of the 65" HItachi, same series as your 51 incher, and have Comcast, Nor Cal area.

Sports: Anything on FoxSportsBayArea channel 37is also on HD, but on another channel (920 I think), e.g. SJ Sharks Hockey, GS Warriors, Berkely/Standford College football, basketball, SF Giants, Oakland A's.

Anything on Comcast 34 (Sacto Kings) is also on another HD channel.

Anything on .VS 35 (Hockey, Tour deFrance, is on another HD channel.

Anything on FoxBayArea+Plus will not be in HD.

Any roundball game on the NBA channel in SD (normally an extra pay subscription) is simulcaast entirely free on INHD channel in HD, even without paying the subscription

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.