AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First - I have been lurking around here as a guest for a few days, as I am in the market for purchasing my first plasma, and am trying to get as much info as I can before biting the bullet and making a purchase. This forum was recommended to my by one of the members of a forum I admin, and so far I am glad to be here. Now, as an admin, I constantly harp on new members to search and read before posting "silly" questions and such. While I have tried to do so here myself, I find that there are a lot of threads with a LOT of pages - some of them 100+. And with things changing fairly quickly in a years time or so (5th gen to 8th gen screens), I find that some info listed in threads to be outdated (many threads started over a year ago). So with that being said, I appreciate your patience in bearing with me - and I also appreciate any assistance provided.

My "new" home (old farmhouse) has a very open floorplan downstairs - living/dining, kitchen, and family room are all open to each other. So to me, a wide viewing angle on my new TV is very important. That limited my choices to LCD or Plasma. After reading regret stories from those that bought smaller TV's, I think 50" is what I will want - which pretty much makes my decision plasma. I do have HT gear - but I have not reinstalled it in my new home. I have a Dish Network receiver, but do not see the need to pay for HD programming at this time (for a handful of channels I hardly have time to watch). There are some OTA HD channels availible. I have a premium Xbox 360 (with most all of the 360 games) that I have been waiting to open until I get an HDTV. So, about the only time I'll be using the HD portion of the TV is when playing a DVD, Xbox, or OTA primetime shows. The rest of the time it will most likely be on a cartoon channel for my kids or something.

I've looked at televisions in the few "big box" stores that we have where I live. This includes Costco, BB, smaller Sears and WalMart. I've pretty much decided that a ticket item this big I won't purchase from an e-tailer. I've seen the Panasonic and the newer Pioneers. I've also seen the Visio, and then the lower-end RCA's, Maxents, etc. And while I would prefer to have the built-in tuners, I would be glad to settle for a TV without such in exchange for a considerable cost savings. PICTURE QUALITY AND BLACK LEVEL IS MOST IMPORTANT TO ME.

One of the things I've been told is that LG is pretty much who makes the displays for most everyone nowdays. If that is true, I am curious as to what is really the differences in many of the TV's.

Now - I've been impressed with the picture quality of the Pioneer 5060 series. Good color, black ratio, etc. What I haven't been impressed with is the reviews of the company in regards to warranty issues and dead pixels (also been looking at other forums). This seems to be the weak spot with the Pioneer units. Speaking of which, the 5061 on display at our brand new (months-old) BB store already has dead pixels. But on the same note, so does my mom's one-year-old LCD computer monitor. I have not heard of the dead pixel issues being as prevelent with other manufacturers, so any feedback regarding this is appreciated. The Panasonic unit that our local Costco had in stock a month or so ago (didn't record the model number) seemed to be as good as the Pioneer they now carry (from what I understand is the 5050 model). Comparing it side-by-side to the Visio P50HD, I was actually quite impressed with the Visio. I would say that the black levels, picture quality, colors, etc. were pretty darned close - and the Visio was considerably less expensive (but no tuner). One thing I did notice was that the Visio did not show some small "stars" - there was an image which included a black space scene, and some tiny pinpoint size stars. The Pioneer unit showed them fine. They were not visible on the Visio until they got a little bigger. This was about the only major difference I could see, and may also be due to the way the Visio was set up.

I would probably consider purchasing a Panasonic unit, except they are impossible to find. Warranty/pixel issues with the Pioneer are making me hesitate on it. I am kind of leaning towards the Visio, based upon it being about 40% less than the Pioneer, and the impressive picture quality for it's price range - but still kinda want the built-in tuner (I am aware of being able to order a tuner from Visio's website). And I am also leaning towards purchasing from Costco, of which I am an executive member, due to it's liberal return policy (which I don't believe in abusing).

I would appreciate any advice or comments. I hope this will not migrate to the "...mine is better than yours..." type of posts which seem to eventually happen to many threads here.

Thank you for your patience and any information you can provide :) .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Due to the overwhelming responses, I decided to go ahead and purchase the Vizio from Costco. However, when I got there today I found them all sold out except their display unit, which was reduced in price by $300.00. No box, unknown where the remote was. A quick check on the mfg. date being F28 (July), and I had to pass. More are supposedly on order, unknown when/if they will show up. This is the first time they've been out of this unit. In fact, they had two in stock yesterday.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Welll I am in your same position and I have the money to buy the Pioneer, but the visio has better Contrast to my eyes. I already have a projector and another bigger lcd in the house, so I am looking for a decent plasma. I will be purchasing tomorrow. Costco's return is what really nailed it for me. The visio has the same electronics in it as the pioneer from what I have been told. Go to another Costco and buy it. All of them have the same return policy...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.