·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My theater room is:

Height= 8 feet

Width=11 feet

Length=26 feet

Material: ONLY DVDs (anamorphic 98% time, and HD content)

Seating area is 14 feet back from where the screen will be. I have complete control over light.

At what distance would I need to mount the X1 to give me a 106" image?

My concern is that the X1 will not be a good enough projector when trying to throw an image over 100". Is this true? At 14 feet will I see screen door effects? Is the resolution good enough?

As for the screen, I have heard the Dalite Cinema Vision is the way to go....any comments? Which would you prefer? It has to be 16:9.

Please help me out, as I am new to the world of PJs.....been using a 65" HDTV RPTV for a while now.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what distance you'll ned, but my X1 looks fantastic on my 108" Diagonal screen. It looks as good or better than my Toshiba HD Ready TV even at that size. The reason is because the X1 has a built in Faroudja deinterlacer (I thought this thing was all hype) and it does a GREAT job with DVDs. My X1 is about 16-17 feet from the screen I believe. It's really easy to figure out, because there is a zoom on the X1 and you can just pick it up and move it back until it fits perfectly. Very Very easy.

When you read up remember when most people here refer to the size of their screen they mean the width of the screen. So, you might have to get used to that or things could get a little confusing.

I would like to go larger with my X1, but I can't get a whole lot more of space where I'm projecting. I'm thinking of moving up 10-12 more inches diagonal if I can.

Screendoor is almost a non issue with the X1 unless you sit ridicuously close. 14 feet should be fine from you screen. If you can detect any screendoor simply very SLIGHTLY defocus (I forget which way to turn) and it will disappear without any noticeable effects on the image.

I am using a temporary screen right now. I was using a white screen, but I painted it grey to get better blacks. If you want to save money and have a high quality screen (some rivaling VERY expensive screens) read up here about DIY (Do It Yourself) screens.

I've tried a few types already. White was good, but I need blacker blacks, so I've even tried grey and a light tan brown. The brown looked incredible (once calibrated for that color correctly) at 70-80" in width, but it needed a bit of gain too look as good at my current size. So, right now I'm back to grey. I'm hoping to go try silver next.

The X1 is an incredible projector, especially for the price. It FAR exceeded my expectations. Just remember, hook your DVD player up to it via S-Video or component to S-Video (adapter), because if you go VGA you'll bypass the faroudja in the X1 and lose color and tint controls. If you go component to VGA (there's an adapter) make sure you have a DVD player with a good deinterlacer and possibly color controls (you lose color and tint controls also using VGA). To keep it simple just use S-Video cable or a component to S-Video cable (infocus sells these).

When watching in the dark set the X1 to "Film" mode. Presentation mode should only be used when there is some ambient light.

·
Registered
85 Posts
any other gotchas w/ the X1? the tip about using the s-video connection is great. i've read a couple of FAQs on the X1, but don't recall seeing this. do we have any data collected in a single thread that tells you how to maximize your X1? lastly, i'm still struggling w/ my 4:3 vs 16:9 screen decision. I watch SAT/CABLE/DVDs/HD/...i guess everything. curious what screen size you guys are going with.

·
Registered
130 Posts
80x60 here. The X1 is a 4:3 projector. 16:9 mode turns off the top and bottom pixels, and native mode for 4:3 turns off even more pixels (from the sides). So I'm gonna get a 4:3 screen, and let the Faroudja work it's magic.

The pj will be 15 feet from the screen, seating 10 feet from screen.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I was having trouble with the 4:3 or 16:9 screen choice before I recieved the X1. I went with 16:9 for a few reasons.

1: the 4:3 stretch wasn't near as bad as I expected. It was very tolerable for the material I watched. Strange, since I hated some of the stretches on rear projection tvs (except for Pioneers. Love the stretch modes on them).

2: 16:9 looks cooler

3: I didn't feel like having to mask for 16:9 everytime I watched something in 16:9.

I prefer to just stretch or play in 4:3 mode, move the projector closer, & watch with a little bit chopped off the top and bottom.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had my X1 for 2 weeks now and i've come full circle back to 4:3. at first the stretch didn't bother me at all, but it bothered my wife. my brother in law visited for a week and he thought the 16:9 was fine. by the end of the week he resorted back to 4:3 natively, as I have.

I'll deal w/ the masking when I'm watching movies, which isn't very often. I realize my viewing pattern is mainly standard def.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will go 16:9 for sure, as I watch no 4:3 material in my theater room.

I am now leaning toward the 5700 too....or maybe even the 7200. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
X1 @ 108" diagonal

In my home cinema I run an X1 at 106" diagonal. Projector lens face is at 17'0" and I use full zoom. Front seating is at 16'0", rear seating is at 21'0". I found screen-door effect and noise a concern in front seating, but from the rear seating the whole result is excellent. I play only wide-screen content. I project onto a white wall (BEHR 1050 from Home Depot) and I think the 2000:1 contrast ratio and Faroudjha are the secret to the excellent end result the X1 at a native 800x600 resolution provides.

I moved from a Epson XB7000 to the X1, and family / visitors all agree the X1 even at a lower native resolution is 300% better.

Regards

Rob

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another question....I purchased the X1 at a good price so I need to get a screen that will work both for the X1 and the 5700 if I decide to upgrade.

Any ideas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.