AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to finish my HTPC soon and I have a few questions. The box itself is built and ready to be put online. I am just not sure of a few details

1. What capture card to use for Standard-def TV from an RF source? That is, just the wire running to the HTPC and then to the TV. My card of choice for this is the PVR-250, I don’t believe that the PVR-350 will let me do this

2. Will I be able to run S-video out of my radeon 9000 pro, for TV playback, or do I have to use RF out?

3. I have an Asus P4PE motherboard; will the digital out be fine when going to a Yamaha receiver?

I am looking for any help and pointers on this. I have read all the DVD ripping guides on the forum and I believe that I will be doing that also. I would like to use this computer for three things.

1. PVR

2. DVD Player

3. Music Server

Is this asking to much for one box to do? I have 2 80 gig Seagate hard drives now. I suspect that I will run out of space in the not so distant future, but I believe this is a good starting point.

Thanks for your help,

Ted

· Registered
149 Posts
Just about any capture card can handle the RF in, including the PVR-250 and 350. The video out will be handled by your video card. Most ATI cards will output either S-video or composite, but you should check the specs before you buy.

The more important question is your PVR software of choice. Snapstream (3.0 beta) and Showshifter are both well suited to standard video output. Another option (my 1st choice) is myHTPC. Although myHTPC does not yet have PVR capabilities, these are coming very soon and the menu interface is perfect for your needs.

Andrew

· Registered
109 Posts
Or try SageTV it works with the PVR-250 or PVR-350:)

· Registered
92 Posts
Or as an alterative you could try the xcard from sigmadesigns.com with sage tv this will act like a true pvr signal in pvr card xcard output via svid / comp or if you have it rgb scart. having been through this myself i found the xcard the best output to tv card. (that is standard def). also it is a hardware dvd decoder etc and works well with sage tv.. the problem i found is that these graphic card designers just stick the tv out feature on as a gimick. i one worked well no tweaking i would buy it.

if you have a plasma or projector or hidef theese radeon cards etc are wonderful but you become quite limited at standard def . i purchased both an ati and a hercules cards at pc world both claming to do tv out via svid or comp. my god i would not even let my baby watch that. and at about $200 a piece it was an insult they both went back and i got the xcard. and since its worked flawlessly.

watch timeshift dvds

timeshift tv.

encoded loads of jpegs to mpeg for 42" slide show

regards

jc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.