Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have Directv (digital sat, not in HD) and looking at getting OTA HD. I am confuse as to what kind of receiver I need. For example, Zenith has several receivers, the HDV420 for OTA HD only and the SAT520 for Directv and OTA HD. Will the SAT520 work on my non-HD Directv?

I have read that getting a combo type receiver (Directv with OTA HD) requires signing up with Directv. What happens if you are already a subscriber but not in HD?

Thanks for you help :)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
You can hook up a Directv HD STB to your current dish (assuming its a single LNB dish for picking up SAT A) and when you activate it, you'll get all your current SD channels from Directv and the one HD channel that is currently on SAT A. That one HD channel on SAT A is HD PPV. If you get a 3 LNB dish you can also get the other HD channels that are on SAT B & SAT C. HDNet and HBO HD are on SAT B and Showtime HD is on SAT C. Any future HD channels are expected to be addec to SAT C, so it probably makes sense to upgrade to a 3 LNB dish rather than a 2 LNB dish.

HDNet is free with any Total Choice Package. HBO HD and Showtime HD are included when you subscribe to HBO or to SHowtime respectively. HD PPV is a pay-per-view HD channel. If any of your local stations are broadcasting HD/DTV channels you can also hook up an appropriate antenna and get those HD/DTV stations for free OTA.

If you want to keep your current SD Directv STB active and add the HD STB as a second receiver, Directv charges you $4.99 per month for the extra STB. There's no activation fee. And, you may be able to get Directv to give you a credit for the HD STB and a low cost dish upgrade possbily with free installation, if you call and ask for Customer Retention and explain that you want HD, but the equipment costs are high and that you're thinking about switching to HD cable because you don't have to buy the HD equipment.

Also, keep in mind that you need an HD-Ready TV to take advantage of HD.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wke39
I have Directv (digital sat, not in HD) and looking at getting OTA HD. I am confuse as to what kind of receiver I need.
Read the STB Synopsis thread in the HDTV Hardware forum.

For financial help from DirecTV with a new DirecTV STB, read this thread

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.