AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was hard to decide where to post these questions, but since ultimately the outout will be on a Panasonic plasma, this seemed like the best place.

For the past 6 years, I've been watching everything on my PT-42PD3-P which is a 42" 480p display and has served me wonderfully. Later this spring, I'm planning on upgrading my whole system (mostly) but I'm a little confused about upscaling SD and DVD's.

Here's what I have planned:

50" Panasonic V10 series plasma (coming in May)

Onkyo TX-SR706 receiver

Panasonic BD60 Blu-ray player (April?)

or

Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray player (if the price is right, I'd like a universal player for SACD and DVD-A)

From my understanding, ALL of these devices offer up-conversion to 1080P. I have a LOT of DVD's and in no hurry to replace them with Blu-ray just yet (although all new purchases will be Blu-ray if possible)

So let's see if I can follow the trail and how to know which would be best

#1 - Player does upscaling 1080p, passes through HDMI to reciever, which passes to TV as 1080P.

#2 - Player outputs native 480i(?) signal to receiver over HDMI, receiver then upscales to TV as 1080p.

#3 - Player outputs native 480i(?) signal to reveiver over HDMI, passes untouched signal to TV, TV then upscales to 1080p.

So, ultimately, which one results in the best picture quality? I know that Oppo is famous for their upconverting players but the 706 receiver uses the same Faroudja DCDi Cinema scaler that Oppo uses in the DV-980H player. I'll also be running game consoles like PS2 and original Xbox over component, so that's a concern too.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I don't know if I can really answer your question since two of the products on your list haven't been released yet but....the Faroudja DCDi, in spite of being a fine processor when it came out..has been surpassed by others in recent years. (such as HQV chips) Also, unless Faroudja has made changes...the DCDi doesn't play as well with plasmas versus other technologies. The bottom line is this...try it all and trust what your eyes tell you.

·
Banned
2,969 Posts
Srgilbert if I may can I make a suggestion? As I see that you like to game also why not go with the PS3? At the price both the Oppo and the Panny are going to sell for its about even with the PS3. The PS3 upconverts, plays SACD, and DVD-A. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
16,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 /forum/post/15589428

The PS3 upconverts, plays SACD, and DVD-A. Just a suggestion.

The PS3 does not play the actual high rez DVD-A track (no Sony product does).

·
Registered
16,007 Posts

Here's what I have planned:

50" Panasonic V10 series plasma (coming in May)

Onkyo TX-SR706 receiver

Panasonic BD60 Blu-ray player (April?)

or

Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray player (if the price is right, I'd like a universal player for SACD and DVD-A)

From my understanding, ALL of these devices offer up-conversion to 1080P. I have a LOT of DVD's and in no hurry to replace them with Blu-ray just yet (although all new purchases will be Blu-ray if possible)

So, ultimately, which one results in the best picture quality? /QUOTE]

It's impossible to predict whether the display or a BluRay player (all not even available yet) will do the better job upscaling. You'll have to try each way and see with your own eyes. IMO, the Panny BD players have not been good upscalers to date.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
difficult to say which would perform the best...you won't know until you test all options out. i have found that letting my display (Pio 5080) do all of the scaling works the best, so i pass 480i over HDMI from my blu-ray player to the TV. i am of the philosophy that the less the signal gets modified in the video chain the better.

·
Registered
544 Posts
No matter what Input you give your 1080P HDTV, in the end everything will be displayed on the HDTV in it's Native Resolution of 1080P. Wither the HDTV does it it's self, or the Blu-Ray Up converts the DVD, or your Surround Sound Receiver.

Personally I have my Onkyo 806 Pass-though the Video with No processing as that's really the best way to go. My Comcast Cable HD Box may output 720P or 1080i whatever the channel is, but my Display will be showing 1080P! My Blu-Ray and HD DVD players output 1080P, so no change done there, and DVD's get Up converted on any of HD DVD player, Blu-Ray player, or XBox 360 to 1080P. It's still DVD though, and some look better then others, but it's still NOT HD quality by far.

My setup is Panasonic TH-50PZ85u, with a Onkyo 806, with Klipish 5.1 Speaker setup. Xbox 360-HDMI to Receiver, Toshiba HD-A30 HD DVD player-HDMI to Receiver, Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray player-HDMI to Receiver, Comcast HD Duel Tuner DVR-HDMI to Receiver, and old Philip's TIVO-S-Video to Receiver, which everything goes out though a single HDMI cable to my HDTV. All Pass-though the Receiver. It leaves me with 1 free HDMI port on my Receiver since I have 5 HDMI Inputs, Plus another 2 free on my HDTV since I only have the 1 HDMI cable going into my HDTV and that's it. Cuts down on the wiring that's for sure. I don't care about SACD or DVD Audio or any of the other better Audio formats coming down the pipelines including Blu-Ray 3.0

·
Banned
2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/15590315

The PS3 does not play the actual high rez DVD-A track (no Sony product does).

I was under the impression that it did. Thanks for clearing up my misconception Bill.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Comparing 480i and 1080p using my Pioneer 410v and 42" Panny plasma, I find that the 1080p upconversion done by the player is superior to the upscaling of the television, offering a smoother more natural and film-like image.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh /forum/post/15592506

Comparing 480i and 1080p using my Pioneer 410v and 42" Panny plasma, I find that the 1080p upconversion done by the player is superior to the upscaling of the television, offering a smoother more natural and film-like image.

While my experience is limited to TH-46PY85P TV (called 46PZ85U in North America) and old SA-HT870 Home theater (that doesn't upconvert) - both made by Panasonic I agree that upconversion SHOULD NOT be handled by television (at least this model). When I upconverted through DVI/HDMI connection using POWER DVD on my PC picture looks A LOT better then when upconversion is left to TV (since SA-HT870 doesn't even have HDMI...forget that over scart/S-VIDEO it doesn't even de-interlace
). I am not sure about OTHER Panny TV models but I can be PRETTY sure that you should choose alternative upconversion method/device (HDMI interface is a must naturally
).

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh /forum/post/15592506

interesting, i thought the 1080p upconversion when i had the 410v looked pretty bad and introduced alot of artifacting , and that my 50" panny plasma did a better job. I got rid of the 410v after about 2 weeks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts