AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Question/problem (has happened twice): After a power outage the receiver no longer receives any digital stations (all analog OTA and satellite channels are fine). Even if I rescan, the stations are not found (signal strengths are 0). I have to unplug the receiver, wait 1/2 hour, turn it on and let the receiver automatically rescan for the stations to return. It is plugged into a very good surge protector. Is this normal?

Second Problem (weird one): After my last power surge, this problem started. When I surf to the digital station 4.1 (Washington DC NBC station)I get no sound. But if I then choose to the Analog station then go back to the digital station, the sound returns. If I then go to another station and then back to 4.1 the sound is gone again. Any idea what is going on. Only happens on 4.1

·
Registered
556 Posts
Quote:
First Question/problem (has happened twice): After a power outage the receiver no longer receives any digital stations (all analog OTA and satellite channels are fine). Even if I rescan, the stations are not found (signal strengths are 0). I have to unplug the receiver, wait 1/2 hour, turn it on and let the receiver automatically rescan for the stations to return. It is plugged into a very good surge protector. Is this normal?
No. I also have an HD5, Sharon (if that's your real name). I once in a while unplug my HD5 for a few minutes to solve the slow-response-time problem, and it doesn't forget the DT stations.
Quote:
Second Problem (weird one): After my last power surge, this problem started. When I surf to the digital station 4.1 (Washington DC NBC station)I get no sound. But if I then choose to the Analog station then go back to the digital station, the sound returns. If I then go to another station and then back to 4.1 the sound is gone again. Any idea what is going on. Only happens on 4.1
Huh? Is this with analog audio straight to your TV? If so, almost certainly a fault with the unit. If you are sending digital audio over the toslink to a receiver, you may have problems with the receiver and the AC3 stream. Write back and we'll talk. (I get 48 / 4.1 with no audio or other problems, other than extreme lack of HD content.)

The only things you might mess with are (1) reboot the unit. Umm, turn it off, hold the DOWN key on the unit while pressing power, release keys, IIRC. Don't know if this does a 'harder' reboot than unplugging, but worth a try. (2) Again, if you are using digital audio out, could be more subtle problems. Write.

------------------

R. Aster, scanning the forums

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm also having problems with my HD5.

Last week, I powered up the receiver and it asked me to insert an access card (there was one in it!). I powered it down, reseated the access card and powered it back up.

At that point, it would recieve OTA and satellite from the main satellite location (Sat A), but wouldn't get anything from the 2nd satellite (Sat B, the one with the HD programming on it).

My installer tried swapping the LNBs and bypassing the multiswitch to no avail. We tested the signal strength for the Sat B LNB with a handheld meter and were getting readings in the 50s. However, the receiver shows 0 for all transponders on the Sat B LNB.

Any opinions on what may be wrong?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The audio is digital, but I don't think it is the receiver (Denon 5700) because the other digital stations work fine. The signal strength is also 100.

I did not know about the hard reboot. When I get home I will try it.

Thanks

P.S. My real name is Sharon

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Many posts contain similar problems. I have had the same sound problems you describe. Sometimes it can just be a commercial that will cause the loss of sound. I suspect the problem is some combination between the encoder at the station and the receiver not recognizing a bit stream change. I would hope that Mits is aware of all of the various problems and will provide some fixes soon. The slow menus is by far the most troubling to me.

------------------

Steve,

(STOP DFAST SUPPORTER)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have two HD5 HD receivers! I have the sound problem on both at varying times. So, it is NOT the digital receivers, but it is a problem with the HD5...It is easy (annoying though), to correct. I merely go up or down 1 channel & back to the original channel..sound has returned!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sharon L:
The audio is digital, but I don't think it is the receiver (Denon 5700) because the other digital stations work fine. The signal strength is also 100.

Hi Sharon,

When there is any interruption to the DD stream to my Denon receiver (just a little AVR-3200; unlike you, I have a wife to report to http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ), like a signal loss or switching channels, the 3200 is likely to get confused and the tiny overload/error light comes on. You might check this on your receiver. If I switch to analog and then back (with the receiver remote), fixes it everytime. You can also test this by setting your HD5 for PCM output instead of DD. My Denon tolerates glitches in the PCM stream fine.

Don't know much about the DD spec -- is there perhaps a 're-synch' frame or something that some sources insert often but WRC-DT does not? Just a WAG.

------------------

R. Aster, scanning the forums

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hard reboot worked and I now get sound, but it is out of sync. What is the cause of out of sync sound, the TV station or the Mits box. For the only thing I watched on NBC over the weekend, Dallas game in HDTV, the out of sync did not matter at all.

Thanks for you help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.