Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Totally new to the HT thing and only just stumbled across this site!

Even though I'm from the UK and most you guys are from the old US of A its still been interesting reading what you's are all up to, comments and suggestions!

As such I'm putting my questions to you guys!

I'm looking at the AE100 (theres a supprise :cool: ) and I'll be making my own screen from the method mentioned using black out material!

my questions!

the AE100 can display 4.3 images without stretching them sideways can it not (this is just to reasure me!) ?

my second question have any of you guys tried the Hoya FL-D filter on the projector?

and my third question was what company's are you's useing from japan to get these projectors! so far the cheepest UK supplier I have found is gona cost £1,265.96 uk pounds! now do any of you guys know how much if at all it would cost to get a projector from japan to me?

I look forward to hearing from you guys, and I've enjoyed reading the previous posts on what you guys have had to say!

Thanks in adavnce for any help!

Gav (The UK connection :) )

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
I would think that a simple 2-minute search of the forum would provide enough owner-comments to warranty direct inquiry to--but this would require about two minutes of your time, which I gather you do not have.

Also, you may get a faster, and more direct, response by AE100 owners if the thread's title was more appropriate to your questions. But, this is just common sense as interpreted by one 'old yank'. :)

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Come on, WanMan, that was a little rough. I run searches periodically and it always takes considerably more than 2 minutes. Why not offer your suggestions to this newcomer as to what to search for?

Hex, I think the answer to your frist question is yes.

Answer to third question is to hit the ********** tab at the top of your screen, where the icons for the Forum sponsors are shown.

Hex, I'd think long and hard about importing this or any other projector sans warranty. At $1.46 to the pound, I don't think you're saving enough money to justify the risk.

Run a search under AE100 and read until your eyes hurt. You'll be able to make an informed decision that way.

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Dan

Yeah I've read loads of previouse posts and other site's just thought I would ask specifically about the Hoya FL-D filter as I aint ever seen it mentioned before.

Also asked about the importing thing to see where people had used. Had thought about it before but never actual spoke to anyone who had imported a projector. I know the risks are greater that just buying in the UK and the fact the price difference wasn't that great was swaying me to just purchase in the Uk just incase anything went wrong and also not having the hassle of our customs guys!

the 4.3 thing is littereally a yes no responce! I believe it will just project it as a 4.3 and not stretch it, just wanted a quick confirmation of this!

So thanks, sorry if it seemed I aint searched through other posts but I had (actuall spent the last two days looking round the site and reading old posts :) )

Hex

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Hex,

I don't have an AE100 but I have no problem talking about it. :D

4:3 - Yes, with black bars left and right (mode 4:3), or expanding the image (JUST mode).

In Britain you've got to pay customs + VAT so it isn't so cheap. Also there's possibly a 20% chance you'll be needing your warranty.

Now that wasn't hard, was it?

Regards.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Sorry, Hex, if I seemed a little harsh. I was not trying to be, nor was I trying to be difficult. Its just a lot easier to get an appropriate response when using something like:

"Could not find answers to AE100 related questions I have ..."

"Can someone answer some AE100 questions? I can't find answers in previous AE100 postings, although they are abundant."

"Unanswered AE100 questions! I need help!"

Of course, this assumes that all threads on the AE100 have been read, but as only a mention that some of the threads have been read I did not know how thorough a research was conducted. Thus, my suggestions were in place, but I guess the method of delivery was out of line according to Dan.

Sorry. Still, do a SEARCH and read ALL threads on the AE100 on this domain. Then, find some owners (determined by reading all AE100 threads) and submit questions to them, OR start a AE100 thread identifying the projector(s) of interest so AE100 owners can quickly reply.

Sorry if this seems illogical or irrational.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No prob's WanMan and no offence taken!

Just feel a little rude sort of 'cold calling' on people by just dropping then an email, guess thats all this daft british conditioning you go through as a kid :)

But in future my posts will be more specific.

Cheers Grubert thought as much just wanted reasurance :)

Hex

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
WanMan,

In order for someone to read ALL the threads on the ae100, I garantee it will take the average person over an hour just to read through most of the threads. Although I have read most everything because I have been following the ae100 here, it is hard, and no short of exhausting to catch up on something and read threads starting from the beginning. It would take so long. His questions can be answered by posting questions, afterwards, he can learn more in depth by researching too.

I do agree you make a good point to search first, as it can help you, its just overwhelming how many threads and posts there are here. Having followed the ae100 for less than 2 months, I can only say that the ae100 information is scattered.

Also, good advice on the subject title, but I know from experience that some people post subjects like that in the hope that they will get more hits. Alls fair in love and the internet.

Hex,

I'm just a groupie saving up for an ae100, but I have gleened a good amount of info in preparation of my own setup :cool:

A subject title like this would have been cool:

"AE100 questions: displaying 4:3 - using Hoya FLD filter - purchase source from Japan ??"

I'm sure someone with an FLD filter will comment here, but I saw one in action and it smooths the picture and reduces screen door while not losing sharpness, at least in my short experience viewing that way.

The ae100 displays 4:3 straight, I wasn't not sure about stretching, but as a previous poster mentioned, it probably does not stretch.

The company that people buy from overseas can be found easily enough. Email or PM someone and they'll tell you. The company advertises on here too. If I type www dot company dot com it'll be asterisked out, so I won't bother.

Good luck in your ae100 journey :)

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Sorry [again], but I thought posting a thread with 'AE100' in the subject line would be the quickest way to get a response from AE100 owners. Color me bad.

I guess when I am scanning through the thread's subject lines I take interest in what the subject line says. Thus, for my personal interests in products A, B, and C, my eyes scan for those in the subject lines of the threads if I'm short on time. Going about reading every single thread to make sure I do not 'miss' something, or not performing a [keyword] search, can be very inefficient and waste time.

I would think that an AE100 owner would take more immediate interest in someone seeking info on an AE100 if this is reveal in the subject line. I'm simply offering a more efficient means to an end. The poster's original subject line was waaay vague, but he wouldn't be the first/last poster to do this, which has been discussed before.

Its not the 'question' that was asked, but how the question was asked that one can get the most appropriate answer in the most efficient manner possible. Aside from myself, only three other people responded. I bet if the same thread content was wrapped in a posting with 'AE100' in the subject that the number of responses would have been much greater (astronomical)?

The poster may have chosen not to perform a keyword search on the AE100 for threads to answer his questions [which in and of itself is ok] as a matter to save time, but time is wasted in that his thread title mentions zero of the AE100 and as such some AE100 owners might overlook it in favor of threads directly stating their subject matter (i.e. the AE100).

I would post an experiment by simply creating a thread with 'AE100' in the thread's title and bet I'd get a rather healthy and quick number of responses from owners, but since this deviates from discussing the product (because the focus is on appropriate/efficient thread titling) I doubt Alan would like it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I asked the question on the gripe of the week thread about setting up a FAQ on some of the more popular items of the day (today being the AE-100). make it sticky until the hits die down, put the proper disclaimers, blah,blah (c.y.a.) ;D Don't know if anyone responded. That thread got boring really fast :p

Any thoughts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.