AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I prepare to build my next theater, I am very seriously deciding upon the fixed height option. The theater will be mostly movies - 80 percent at least movies. The remainder will be major TV events (Super Bowl, NBA Finals, etc... and those as HDTV), a bit of video gaming, and misc television watching.

So, the fixed height seems logical for me. This, of course, leads to questions.

1. Are there any projectors that can do this without a lense? My projector mounting will either be tough to reach above the seating, or in another room (rear projection). Either way, moving the lense for different formats will be annoying and not practical. I read in the sticky thread that the Sim2, Opt H79, Infocus 4805 can have custom aspect ratios, but I want to be clear on this point. (I'm leaning towards the H79 as of now, but the projector will not be purchased until next Spring so things will change by then.)

2. Is there any solution to the subtitle issue? From what I've read there 'may' be some options using a HTPC. I have many subtitle films in the collection that I enjoy, and losing the subtitles would likewise be annoying. To me, since I assume (if not now - as I may be told, sooner or later) that the projectors will work without lenses, the subtitle issue is as, perhaps even more, important to solve.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Quote:
1. Are there any projectors that can do this without a lense? My projector mounting will either be tough to reach above the seating, or in another room (rear projection). Either way, moving the lense for different formats will be annoying and not practical. I read in the sticky thread that the Sim2, Opt H79, Infocus 4805 can have custom aspect ratios, but I want to be clear on this point. (I'm leaning towards the H79 as of now, but the projector will not be purchased until next Spring so things will change by then.)
No you need a lens to turn your projector into 2.35 to gain all the resolution/brightness for constant height.

Prismasonic is releasing motorized versions of their lenses pretty soon. Look at the H series lenses. ISCO has motorized versions but they cost an arm and a leg.

Alternatively you can go with a Panamorph 752 and leave the lens on all the time. Then you use your projector/scaler to resize the aspect ratios.

Quote:
2. Is there any solution to the subtitle issue? From what I've read there 'may' be some options using a HTPC. I have many subtitle films in the collection that I enjoy, and losing the subtitles would likewise be annoying. To me, since I assume (if not now - as I may be told, sooner or later) that the projectors will work without lenses, the subtitle issue is as, perhaps even more, important to solve.
There are some standalone dvd players that can move the subtitles. For HTPC the only program that I know of is TheaterTek. Many of us are hoping that Zoom Player will implement this feature in the future.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Quote:
Is there any solution to the subtitle issue?
Learn more languages.

As long as we're using fixed-pixel projectors and watching movies wider than our panels...we'll need lenses.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey
Learn more languages...
Gave me a good laugh at the start of the day! :)

·
Registered
20,091 Posts
" No you need a lens to turn your projector into 2.35 to gain all the resolution/brightness for constant height. " -

That isn't necessarily true. I personally did not like the softer look these lenses gave the picture, and I didn't think the increase in resolution and brightness offset the softer look. For about the same price as a good lens and scaler you can do what I did - use two retractable electric screens - one 2.35:1 ( in my case 106" x 45.25" in CV 1.3 gain material ) and a smaller 1.78:1 screen ( in my case a 92" x 52" HCCV 1.1 gain screen ) and use the power zoom and focus on a H79 !! It works great!!

Technically speaking I don't have a constant image height set up, I have a " constant size " set up - about 4796 square inches for the 2.35 and 4784 s.i. for the 1.78 screen.

·
Banned
946 Posts
Hi Craig:

You did a very smart thing but you are still not utilizing all the pixels and the resolution available for your 2.35 movies. You are just fine with HDTV though.

What anamorphic lenses did you try with your H79 that made the PQ soft?

·
Registered
20,091 Posts
I had a prismasonic H1000. I thought it worked very well compared to my Panamorph / NEC HT1000 experiment. I still prefer the look without it, all things considered.

My only point here is one can have a 2.35:1 theater without a lens - there are alternatives. Folks that have been over to watch movies are stunned. When the 2.35:1 movie is over and you throw a 1.78:1 music video on, and the widescreen screen goes up while the 1.78:1 electric screen is coming down, they know I'm completely insane ( in a video mad scientist kind of way )!!!

·
Registered
20,091 Posts
When I finished our dedicated home theater room last Jan. as part of our remodel / addition, and I retracted the 2.35:1 screen after a movie while dropping the 1.78 screen and switching to HDTV ( the screens are hidden behind a valance covered soffit, with side curtains ) my wife said more than that - " this is sick " was her response! I knew my design idea was a success at that point.........

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Quote:
That isn't necessarily true. I personally did not like the softer look these lenses gave the picture, and I didn't think the increase in resolution and brightness offset the sofer look.
This is the first I've heard this...what do you attribute the perceived softness to?

·
Registered
20,091 Posts
The lens itself - " one mans film like look is another mans too fuzzy ". It is not as razor sharp with any anamorphic lens in place, but some people like the softer " film like look ". It's your money, and it's up to you!! The H79 still works on a Scope screen without a lens - no problem!!

By the way, the H1000 seemed much better than other lens I tried, but I'm sure the Isco lens is sharper still - it better be for the price!!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
It defocuses the image just enough to blur the SDE. When I get my setup mounted I'll take some closeup pics of what happens to the pixel structure in "Passthru" vs "Stretch" mode.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Quote:
" No you need a lens to turn your projector into 2.35 to gain all the resolution/brightness for constant height. "

That isn't necessarily true. I personally did not like the softer look these lenses gave the picture, and I didn't think the increase in resolution and brightness offset the softer look. For about the same price as a good lens and scaler you can do what I did - use two retractable electric screens - one 2.35:1 ( in my case 106" x 45.25" in CV 1.3 gain material ) and a smaller 1.78:1 screen ( in my case a 92" x 52" HCCV 1.1 gain screen ) and use the power zoom and focus on a H79 !! It works great!!
Craig, zooming is another way 2.35 can be achieved. But to gain all the resolution/brightness from the projector, a lens is a must.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
A really high quality lens with adjustable astigmatism (read Isco 3) should not soften the image at all.

My Isco Cinema DLP lens has absolutely NO negative impact on the image. Pixels and pixel edges are clearly visible and 1080 HD test patterns with alternating vertical or horizontal lines show clean clear razor sharp lines, edge to edge and corner to corner. This on a 5' x 13' screen.

This is after adjusting the anamorphic lens' astigmatism ring. As little as 1/8th of a turn in either direction shows softening of either the vertical or horizontal lines.

So, anyone who says that their anamorphic lens softens the image just hasn't spent enough money on their lens. :)

Vern

·
Registered
20,091 Posts
Quote:
So, anyone who says that their anamorphic lens softens the image just hasn't spent enough money on their lens.
-

That lens cost as much as many projectors cost. Which is why most of us don't own one.

Quote:
Craig, zooming is another way 2.35 can be achieved. But to gain all the resolution/brightness from the projector, a lens is a must.
True, but not at the expense of picture quality. Tom Sullivan ( Guitarman ) commented on the Prismasonic H1000 giving the picture a softer look - I'm not the only one to see it. To each his own....................

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Quote:
True, but not at the expense of picture quality. Tom Sullivan ( Guitarman ) commented on the Prismasonic H1000 giving the picture a softer look - I'm not the only one to see it. To each his own....................
Yep very true. If you don't the like the PQ the lens don't use it. You're the one watching movies in there all the time.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Quote:
It defocuses the image just enough to blur the SDE. When I get my setup mounted I'll take some closeup pics of what happens to the pixel structure in "Passthru" vs "Stretch" mode.
Looking forward to that. Making the pixels smaller can also make the image appear "softer", I guess, with less of that "digital sharpness".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.