AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an HD decoder last week and have been sampling the HD fruit so to speak.

Overall it is a mixed bag IMO. There is just not that much TRUE HD content out there or at least that I get. Most of it seems to be upcon standard def HD. These programs look a little better than the reg sat signal I guess mainly due to the higher bandwidth.

The HDTV promos seem to look best due to being shot in HD I think.

A couple of questions.

I have noticed that the HD image is much dimmer than standard def. I need to crank up my contrast and brite considerably when watching HD. Once the settings are up the image is stunning. It does not get washed out or bloomed like it does when settings are cranked on standard def.

IS THIS NORMAL?

Assuming this is normal when I crank her up am I causing more wear on the tubes or is it due to a lower I/P signal and all is equal in the end? In my mind it should be even as far as the tubes are concerned but maybe a little harder on the electronics?

Yes/no?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

Any HD tuner should output the industry standard of 700mv amplitude of RGB or perhaps there are settings in a menu that need adjusting; amplitude between standard and hi-def should be equal.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
We have found that the output of HD set top boxes is a real mixed bag. It is not unusual at all to have to crank up the contrast and brightness to get the picture looking correct. Tim, I honestly don't believe they are outputing anything close to a standard on any of the boxes. I have taked to MP about this extensively. It's a real problem.

OTA HD is pretty good for sports that are shot in HD and some of the prime time stuff is pretty good. If you want to enjoy some really great HD, check out HD Net or Discovery HD Theater, or even a lot of HBO HD has been pretty good of late. Also I have seen some PBS OTA HD that is really spectacular.

Terry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.