AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a question like this, it's obvious that I'm considering a PJ from our favorite "off-shore" dealer. :) I've never used PayPal before, but I've sure seen lots of comments from people who have experienced problems. Has anyone here who has ordered from "he-who-cannot-be-named" (no, not Voldemort!) had any problem using their credit card via PayPal? If I've never registered with them before, does it take a few days to clear? Is there a percent markup that I have to pay, or does the dealer pay this? Did anyone decide to wire money from their bank to his instead? I assume that would be faster?

Sorry about all the questions, but a few thousand dollars is a lot of money for me! (Otherwise I'd be in a different forum and buying from my local dealer!)

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
64 Posts
PAY PAL is not very helpful in assisting you when you have problems with the seller or buyer.

If you can just use your credit card, it should have better protection.

This comes from my own experiences, I do not use them anymore.

Tony

·
Registered
320 Posts
when you register with paypal it will take a few days to get you set up. you need to get a certain number (it'll be in your credit card statement) that paypal needs to confirm your account.

ap0the0sis

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I've used them numerous times without problem, especially when it is in a "controlled" environment like purchasing from your favorite japanese site.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I've had no problems with them. Numerous transactions.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey Geshund

I've used them alot even dealt with less reputable sites that didn't deliver

Emailed paypal and always got my money back

I've also used them for the same purchase and place that you are considering and no problems

So good luck john

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I also bought my Marantz 12S1 from Kwon using PayPal with no problems. The transfer was even faster than a bank wire. BUT there is an additional cost of I think 3%.

BTW I have used PayPal for over 100 transactions over 3 years without a hitch. But I do regard it as a cash transfer, not as a CC payment with the protection that a CC company gives.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Brinkman
But I do regard it as a cash transfer, not as a CC payment with the protection that a CC company gives.
Exactly. I would NEVER use Paypal unless I was completely comfortable that whoever I was doing business with was highly reputable OR it was a small purchase and I was willing to lose the money.

·
Registered
177 Posts
gesundheit,

Since you are Canadian, you will be considered an international account. I believe it took me at least 4-5 business days to get my account finalized.

I have had only one experience with PayPal and it was positive.

I also believe that it would usually be the selling that would have to pay a fee, not the buyer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.