AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here

Questions: Refurbished Vizio from Tiger Direct

8226 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  westa6969
So I'm looking to purchase an HDTV very soon. mostly for gaming and movies.

Well, I've noticed this refurbished 47" Vizio 1080p HDTV for only $999.99 on a sight called "tiger direct", and i was wondering a couple of things.

1. If anyone has ever had experience with tiger direct?

2. If its safe to go with something refurbished?

3. Is an extended warranty necessary?

I'm really tempted to buy this and i need some advice in case its a bad idea. It's a great deal and hard to pass up. I've heard nothing but good things from Vizio so I'm not to worried about that, but its mostly the site and it being refurbished that I'm worried about.

any input would be great, thanks a lot!
See less See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Tiger Direct isn't bad. Most complaints come with their dealings with less than satisfactory rebate companies. I'm from Miami where they have two retail stores. They have a lot of good deals. As for it being refurbished, it depends. More than likely, they simply are selling sets that are refurbished by Vizio, not themselves. So the question is, how good does Vizio refurbish their sets?

I've heard some of the best companies (Denon for instance) have the worst refurb standards.
I would caution against TigerDirect. I live in Naperville IL, where their first retail store was (iirc, might have been the second.) I have bought off and on from them when I desperately need things hard to find, but they have sold me numerous DOA Motherboards, CPU's, and other computer hardware. Their return policy is also a joke, because they sell so much OEM stuff and Refurbs that aren't always even marked as Refurbs until you call the manufacturer with problems and give them the serial number. I know it's harder to sell a DOA TV, but I can't recommend them with a clear conscience because of all the bad experiences I have had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOP /forum/post/12868308

I would caution against TigerDirect. I live in Naperville IL, where their first retail store was (iirc, might have been the second.) I have bought off and on from them when I desperately need things hard to find, but they have sold me numerous DOA Motherboards, CPU's, and other computer hardware. Their return policy is also a joke, because they sell so much OEM stuff and Refurbs that aren't always even marked as Refurbs until you call the manufacturer with problems and give them the serial number. I know it's harder to sell a DOA TV, but I can't recommend them with a clear conscience because of all the bad experiences I have had.

We have purchaced 2 TV sets from them, both being VIZIOs and love them both (37 & 47)
See less See more
They are owned by Systemax PC and recently have been buying up a number of the CompUSA stores during their bankruptcy. I've bought several times electronics and IT items without any issues whatsoever - not a TV though. Was impressed that during November they were doing Breast Cancer Fund Raising and they shipped everything in pink boxes/pkgs and they donated a portion of profits during that time - had made several purchases and all came in pink and was impresssed with that since my Sister was a casualty at 41 so I found that impressive and for those of us touched by this tragedy a heartfelt initiative I've rarely seen an internet vendor do.

However, I'm not a fan of refurb products and that has nothing to do with them as they are the market channel much like Ecost with refurb's and my example is where my 360 died the three red lights of death before MSoft extd the wrnty and got a refurb and then it died the same fate about 57 days later and turned out when I used the warranty the damn thing was already registered by another owner and was a year old and repaired when sold to me and of course Microsoft honored the warranty but then I was without the unit for 5 weeks during the repairs.

My point is that most refurbs have minimal warranties and were it not for Microsoft extension of it's wrnty I'd been stuck with a second $400 unit failure within 13 months. This isn't the Vendor fault as they are just rechannelling product at a lower price but it is a a gamble of sorts which I won't use again and would not use with a TV unless you had the chance to audition it in person - after all would anyone buy a refurbed Sharp that may likely have banding? With a TV your buying someone elses problem IMO and without the ability to audition that's a helluva risk and would not go there sight unseen on a TV. There are very few On-line vendors that allow panel exchanges when you read the small print and I believe Amazon in some cases when through them directly they have so it's truly a gamble on a refurb product when your manufacturers warranty is cut to 30-90 days often.

I've purchased all four of my LCD's via internet and saved alot but none have been refurbs and never got a bad one at all but I've made sure I had the full warranty on all and in the case of my 57" bought a 4 yr extd one to protect that high cost - but I would never risk such a purchase via the internet on a "Refurb" TV with that kind of money involved.
See less See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.