AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did post in the help me choose an LCD thread, but I think what I'm goign to ask branches into a lot of different things and wanted some comments form people with hands on experience (preferably from both LCDs).

I have no shame in admitting I'm an AV noob, and the first step to solving that problem is to admitting you have one.

I'm currently deliberating between either of these two TVs, due to their superb image quality for a budget price and their low input lags which would be ideal for me since I want them primarily for gaming and secondary blu ray watching. TV is of no concern.

My original thought was to get a 32″, since my puny CRT I currently have is only 22″ and the 10″ upgrade would make a big difference to me. I could go 37″ but I've read about buzzing problems which I am very sensitive too, is this still an issue with the later models or should I just forget it? I don't think I could consider a 40″ as I'll be sitting around 5.5/6ft away from the screen, and my brother's 42″ plasma at that distance looks way too huge. Would a 40″ be just as bad at that distance?

Gaming is my top priority, and the Wii will be connected to it, so it's good to know that both LCD's have great up-scaling (Another reason for the 32. I might not notice artefacts on Wii games as much as I would on the 40, if at all. (They would REALLY bother me if I could see any). And, if it's good enough, I'll even hook up the 360. I'm used to having my face really close to the U2311 that I currently use for 360 gaming as it helps with sniping, so I'm hoping the 32 or 40 will enable me to sit back and still play as well due to larger screen area.

I don't plan to watch much TV on it, if at all, so that's not a concern. However, I DO want to start watching Bluray's - and this - is where the C580 worries me. Is there any updates from Samsung at all regarding the 24p playback issue? Is it fixed in newer models? For all intents are purposes, the C580 sounds IDEAL. Except, of course, for the 24p issue. For a test, I do have an MKV file of Advent Children at 24p, and I watched some of it on my U2311 (Displaying at 60p). From what I could see, it seemed fine to me. I think I did notice some jitter', but I don't even know if that was jitter at all, or just something intended. What exactly is jitter?

I have heard that the C530 takes a lot more calibrating than the C580, that's fine. I plan to get a colorimeter anyway to help me calibrate the U2311H's. What meter and software would you guys recommend for calibrating? Will it work for both the TV and monitor too? I don't find the calibrating issue that much of a deal-breaker since I plan to properly calibrate either of the LCD's I eventually buy.

Finally, I've read that you can determine what panel type you have by looking through the vent. What serial numbers should I be on the look out for? I'm reading that the S-PVA panel has better quality, and the MVA is more advanced (Slightly lesser quality but no ghosting) which would make the MVA the most desirable option. Am I correct in thinking that? Also, is it possible to get the MVA panel in either the 32 or the 40, in the UK? I'm not sure how sensitive I am to inverse ghosting, as I have yet to come across it myself.

Sorry for the barrage of questions, hopefully you guys can shed some light.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC155
My original thought was to get a 32″, since my puny CRT I currently have is only 22″ and the 10″ upgrade would make a big difference to me. I could go 37″ but I've read about buzzing problems which I am very sensitive too, is this still an issue with the later models or should I just forget it?
It is best to avoid the 37" models, but you can try it if you wish but make sure to purchase it directly from Amazon UK, so you can easily obtain refund without and fuss.

Quote:
I don't think I could consider a 40″ as I'll be sitting around 5.5/6ft away from the screen, and my brother's 42″ plasma at that distance looks way too huge. Would a 40″ be just as bad at that distance?
I find 1.8-2m perfectly fine. It takes a while to adopt but I actually prefer it now.

Quote:
Gaming is my top priority, and the Wii will be connected to it, so it's good to know that both LCD's have great up-scaling (Another reason for the 32. I might not notice artefacts on Wii games as much as I would on the 40, if at all. (They would REALLY bother me if I could see any). And, if it's good enough, I'll even hook up the 360. I'm used to having my face really close to the U2311 that I currently use for 360 gaming as it helps with sniping, so I'm hoping the 32 or 40 will enable me to sit back and still play as well due to larger screen area.
Unfortunately you will notice aliasing on both the Wii and on the X360. Since Wii games are rendered in 640 x 480 without any form AA, the level of aliasing will be highly visible.

Also, going from 0.20-0.25 black to 0.03 (40") will be highly obvious. Games such as Alan Wake will appear as it should on on the C580 with S-PVA panel.

Quote:
I don't plan to watch much TV on it, if at all, so that's not a concern. However, I DO want to start watching Bluray's - and this - is where the C580 worries me. Is there any updates from Samsung at all regarding the 24p playback issue? Is it fixed in newer models? For all intents are purposes, the C580 sounds IDEAL. Except, of course, for the 24p issue. For a test, I do have an MKV file of Advent Children at 24p, and I watched some of it on my U2311 (Displaying at 60p). From what I could see, it seemed fine to me. I think I did notice some jitter', but I don't even know if that was jitter at all, or just something intended. What exactly is jitter?
Telecine judder is when the motion in uneven. Since you're not sensitive to it(judging from be above), you should have no issue with the C580.

Quote:
I have heard that the C530 takes a lot more calibrating than the C580, that's fine. I plan to get a colorimeter anyway to help me calibrate the U2311H's. What meter and software would you guys recommend for calibrating? Will it work for both the TV and monitor too? I don't find the calibrating issue that much of a deal-breaker since I plan to properly calibrate either of the LCD's I eventually buy.
It's actually best to opt for the C580 since you're guaranteed to get the good processor. If you go for the C530, then you may end up with either Trident or MStar processor. I also noticed flicker on the C530 and it much worse when using the internal media player.

The C530 is a good gaming set, but to movies and such it is best to opt for the C580.

As for the software, you'll need a colorimeter that is compatible with HCFR

Quote:
Finally, I've read that you can determine what panel type you have by looking through the vent. What serial numbers should I be on the look out for? I'm reading that the S-PVA panel has better quality, and the MVA is more advanced (Slightly lesser quality but no ghosting) which would make the MVA the most desirable option. Am I correct in thinking that?
A-MVA3 is more advanced than the S-PVA embedded within the C5XX series. But some have reported pillaring. So it is entirely upto you.

As for the model number of the panel, you do have to see through the vent and you'll notice either Samsung (S-PVA) or AUO (A-MVA) logo

Quote:
Also, is it possible to get the MVA panel in either the 32 or the 40, in the UK? I'm not sure how sensitive I am to inverse ghosting, as I have yet to come across it myself.

Sorry for the barrage of questions, hopefully you guys can shed some light.
I did initially hated inverse ghosting but I'm used to it now. It doesn't bother me too much since it only appears in certain areas during motion. But I don't know if the 32" has the same issue.

As for the panel type, UK version do come in both flavors but there's no way to choose

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielo TM
It is best to avoid the 37" models, but you can try it if you wish but make sure to purchase it directly from Amazon UK, so you can easily obtain refund without and fuss.

I find 1.8-2m perfctly fine. It takes a while to adopt but I actually prefer it now.
Thanks.

Regarding the size, I'll do some quick measurements and see if I can fit the 40" in the room (Where I want it to be has a slanted roof, so the 40" might not fit height wise as I'll be placing it on top of an Ikea Galant desk). If I can fit it, I think I'll end up trying both out through Amazon to see which one I prefer.

Quote:
Unfortunately you will notice aliasing on both the Wii and on the X360. Since Wii games are rendered in 640 x 480 without any form AA, the level of aliasing will be highly visible.

Also, going from 0.20-0.25 black to 0.03 (40") will be highly obvious. Games such as Alan Wake will appear as it should on on the C580 with S-PVA panel.
Fair enough, I do notice some aliasing with my current 360 setup but I've gotten used to that. I think I'll prefer the huge increase in picture quality from my cheap CRT to the C580 to care too much about aliasing. As long as it doesn't produce other highly visible artefacts then I'm fine.

Quote:
Telecine judder is when the motion in uneven. Since you're not sensitive to it(judging from be above), you should have no issue with the C580.
I see. I did notice uneven motion, but I figured it was due to an intended shaky camera effect (There was a lot of that in AC). I heard it's easy to tell by looking at a 24p horizontally panning shot, do you know of any test sites or something similar which have clips like these to check?

Quote:
It's actually best to opt for the C580 since you're guaranteed to get the good processor. If you go for the C530, then you may end up with either Trident or MStar processor. I also noticed flicker on the C530 and it much worse when using the internal media player.
I did read about that when looking through the comments in that review you did, I'm sensitive to flicker so I guess I'm pretty much sold on the C580.

Quote:
The C530 is a good gaming set, but to movies and such it is best to opt for the C580.
From what I read the C580 is just as good on the gaming front, so I'll have no regrets on choosing the C580.

Quote:
As for the software, you'll need a colorimeter that is compatible with HCFR
I think I'll have to searc that up, as I'm unfamiliar with that term. On [H]forum, the iOne Display 2 is a highly rated colorimeter, at least for calibrating monitors, would that be of any use for a TV? Out of curiosity, which one do you use?

Quote:
A-MVA3 is more advanced than the S-PVA embedded within the C5XX series. But some have reported pillaring. So it is entirely upto you.

As for the model number of the panel, you do have to see through the vent and you'll notice either Samsung (S-PVA) or AUO (A-MVA) logo

I did initially hated inverse ghosting but I'm used to it now. It doesn't bother me too much since it only appears in certain areas during motion. But I don't know if the 32" has the same issue.

As for the panel type, UK version do come in both flavors but there's no way to choose
Ah. I'm thinking that I'll probably end up with the S-PVA panel, and from then on I'll have to decide if I can tolerate the ghosting. I've never noticed it on anything of my displays before (Although that's just because I like to research like mad before I buy anything
) So I can't tell how sensitive I'd be too it. Good thing Amazon accept returns so easily.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I can't upload any 24p clips as they are copyrighted, but you could try apple trailers

As for the colorimeter, I use DTP94.

PS: If you have any further question, you can always send me a party invite via live. The gamer tag is the same as my username on here

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
I can't upload any 24p clips as they are copyrighted, but you could try apple trailers

As for the colorimeter, I use DTP94.

PS: If you have any further question, you can always send me a party invite via live. The gamer tag is the same as my username on here
If I have any more questions, I'll be sure to do that. Since it's late at night I would probably annoy someone if I did that now :)P) However I do have one more question which will be the last in this thread. Is this the type of DTP94 you used? Not sure about the software you used though.

http://www.integrated-color.com/mm5/...ay+Calibration

Or, was it from Spectracal using CalMAN software?
http://www.spectracal.com/DTP94.html

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The model I have is much older and it has driver issues with certain system. For an example, my new notebook with EFI doesn't allow the DTP94 to install. It will immediately result in BSOD.

So it is best to buy a modern colorimeter.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielo TM /forum/post/19564861

What is this flicker you speak of exactly? You notice it on HDMI too?

I've just came from a retail store and had a look on both a LE46C530 and a LE46C550 (similar to C580). I saw no flicker on the LE46C530. I was leaning towards the C530 because of the design that doesn't have that glass border + the top of the screen is flat, 0 degrees. The C550 has a sloped top. This matters for the Wii sensor bar I like to use on top.

Also how is input lag when comparing both though? Does larger screen size mean larger input lag by the way?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The flicker occurs on certain shades of gray and it seems to be caused by the overdrive. IT also flickers when displaying moire test pattern. Them more info over at AVForum.

However, I don't know if the flicker is present on AMVA panels.

Input lag varies by panel type, size and processor type. So I need numbers.

But I can't tell you if MStar is faster than Trident and vice versa.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielo TM /forum/post/19605769

The flicker occurs on certain shades of gray and it seems to be caused by the overdrive. IT also flickers when displaying moire test pattern. Them more info over at AVForum.

However, I don't know if the flicker is present on AMVA panels.

Input lag varies by panel type, size and processor type. So I need numbers.

But I can't tell you if MStar is faster than Trident and vice versa.

Many thanks for the info. I forgot to check to see if the TV was SQ or AA unfortunately, but I plan to go back there soon and hopefully it'll still be there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts