AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching a DLP for about six months now and thought it best to simply keep my mouth shut and listen to what others here had to say, so here's my first opportunity to really ask a question. I have come across the LT-85 for a price of about $1600 and am about a day away from ordering it. I'll be using it with a Panasonic RP-91 proscan DVD player and standard digital cable for right now. With all the talk about the LT-150, it's really got my interest peaked, but knowing that there is a resolution difference between the two, I have some reservations. I guess my question is, does the lower resolution of the 85 result in more visible screen door on the unit than the 150 would display or are they comperable where progressive DVD is concerned? I think I'm just worrying about nothing, but would sure feel better if I could hear it from someone who actually has or has seen these units. I'm going from a Runco CRT, but it's a fairly old one that was never really state of the art, even when it was new (CPD-750 video grade with no component or doubling and the picture's always been unavoidably dark. I'm just tired of the bulk and constant upkeep). I would have loved to have gotten one of those 150s at the Dell price, but the cash wasn't in place at the time and the newer price is just out of my range. Anyhow, any reassurances you could give me would certainly be welcome. Thanks.

------------------

Cliff

·
Registered
578 Posts
Cliff,

Where did you find the LT85 for $1600? I have an LP340 and am thinking of selling it to get either a LT150 or LT85. At $1600, the LP340 gets Ebayed off tomorrow http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

As far as the screen door is concerned. that is a problem inherent to LCD units. Not DLP.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Screen door is mainly used when describing LCD's. However, you can still see pixel structure on DLP's depending on distance to screen, size of that screen, and native resolution of the DMD chip. I have a 640x480 LCD that is 60" x 80" and I sit only 9 feet from the screen. Yes, I can see screendoor, bigtime! Do I still enjoy it? Absolutely! So what I am trying to say is that you will enjoy a lower res DLP if that's all you're used to. I would check some reviews on the unit on projectorcentral.com, wait for some opinions here, and search the forums before deciding. There may be something about that projector you don't like. That LP340 may be a better bet for you, it comes highly rated from projectorcentral. Good Luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Cliff,

For DVD use there shouldn't be much difference - I have both XGA projectors and a SVGA projector and when using a HTPC the lack of visible pixel structure is excellent on both. I think the big difference will be with HDTV.

Steve Dodds, I believe, has seen both the LT85 and LT150 and maybe he'll comment.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I think it depends more on screen width and seating distance.

I am particularly bothered by screen door, the way some are bothered by rainbows, and I can barely make out pixel structure from my LT150 at 92" wide from 11' back. I haven't seen an LT85, but I have seen a Dreamvision SVGA DLP and the screen door bothered me from 17' back on a 96" wide screen. Doesn't matter the source, fill factor is there regardless.

Even for the little there is on the LT150, I still ordered an ISCO II to get rid of it.

If you haven't seen either, I would suggest you determine screen size, seating distance, and then try and see an SVGA and XGA DLP to see if you can live with SVGA resolution.

------------------

John
My HT Picts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your help and opinions. It looks like I'm going to research a bit longer.

Niggenz,

Here's where I was looking at the LT85: Infinity-Micro

The price is actually more like $1700 (it's $50 higher if you don't do a COD Cashiers Check), but with the way Ebay auctions are going, you could most likely sell the 340 and have a few hundred left over after buying the 85.

Anyway, thanks again all.

------------------

Cliff

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
What John (wireless) said is very true, Cliff.

The screen size and your distance from the screen determine

the image size you will see. As you increase the image size

at some point the screen door (pixel structure) will start to become visible to you (regardless of the source resolution). And as you increase the size of the image further it will become more visible.

When using SVGA DLP's many say they prefer an image size which is equivalent to the viewing distance being 1.5 x the screen width. Others prefer to go no larger than the viewing distance being 2 x the screen width (my preference). It's going to depend on how much you're willing to tolerate screen door to get the picture bigger.

It's a tradeoff.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Quote:
When using SVGA DLP's many say they prefer an image size which is equivalent to the viewing distance being 1.5 x the screen width.
Robert, are you sure you mean SVGA and not XGA ?, viewing dsitance of 1.5x the screen width gives a HUGE picture, usually only recommended for 1024x768 and above.
Quote:
Others prefer to go no larger than the viewing distance being 2 x the screen width (my preference).
but you have the LT150, which is a 1024x768.

Anyhow, Projector Central has a long article about this subject. Their conclusion is that you'll see a difference between 1024x768 and 800x600 for any ratio smaller than 2.5:1.

[This message has been edited by Jones_Rush (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Jones_Rush,

The LT150 is the ninth digital projector I've owned (and the fifth DLP).

My comments above are based on my experience and that of many others who own/have owned the Davis SVGA DLP. And my experience with the LP340 (SVGA) as well.

Last year on the forum there were debates about how big to go on the screen size when using the Davis projectors.

And yes, many were advocating a viewing distance of 1.5x screen width. Read what I said again. My preference when using an SVGA DLP was to make an image size smaller than that (about 2x screen width). I don't like seeing pixel structure. Others who own these projectors are willing to tolerate more screen door simply because they desire to have the immersive effect of a really big picture. Like many aspects of home theater it's a matter of personal taste.

I really liked the Davis. But the primary reason I stopped using it was that it would not make a picture large enough to suit me without visible screen door.

Only Cliff can decide if SVGA will work for him. It would help if he can demo an LT85 to see this with his own eyes.

BTW, some forum members have alleviated the screen door with their SVGA DLP's by adding an anamorphic lens. The ISCO lens has been a popular accessory for many (Larry Davis among them).

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the screen is actually 80" wide and I'll be seated 140" back, so that's right in between at 1.75 times the width. Unfortunately, nobody in my area (Denver) seems to do much with DLP in general, much less the LT85 specifically. I think I may be resigned to ordering one from a place with a good return policy and giving it a whirl. Thanks again guys.

------------------

Cliff

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
A rough rule of thumb for me is the next resolution up in an LCD is close to the screen door for a DLP. If you can take a look at an XGA LCD, it will approximate the effect of an SVGA DLP.

It's rough, but it will give you some guide.

Good Luck!

------------------

John
My HT Picts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.