AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got about 25 hours logged on my new (and first) projector, an SP5000, and the projector shuts down after a warning that it is overheating. I've looked up the LED warning in the manual - it states that I should make sure the vents aren't blocked and also clean the filters. Well, I have nothing obstructing the vents, so I assume the filters need cleaning. I just didn't expect to have to do this after only 25 hours.


Could this have something to do with the new carpet (hence more fibers in the air)?


Also, the manual says to use a vacuum on low power to clean the filters. My vacuum only has one level of power, and it seems like anything but low. Any advice on how I should proceed with this?


Thanks,

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
To start, where and how have you got the PJ mounted? Is it hanging from the ceiling, if so how close to the ceiling? On a coffee table? Is it in a hushbox or enclosure of any sort?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantv
To start, where and how have you got the PJ mounted? Is it hanging from the ceiling, if so how close to the ceiling? On a coffee table? Is it in a hushbox or enclosure of any sort?


I have it hanging from the ceiling. There is no hushbox or any other enclosure. I used the mount that InFocus lists as an accesory. However, I opted not to buy the additional mount extension peice. So, the projector is a few inches (maybe six?) away from the ceiling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
When I spoke to Sanyo on friday about my overheating Sanyo PLV-Z1 projector with overheated LCD panel - which they replaced , they suggested in the future using a hand vaccuum to clean it ... I have yet to try that since I haven't got the PJ back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain
When I spoke to Sanyo on friday about my overheating Sanyo PLV-Z1 projector with overheated LCD panel - which they replaced , they suggested in the future using a hand vaccuum to clean it ... I have yet to try that since I haven't got the PJ back.


Did they speculate on why it was overheating?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
They claimed it was a dusty environment in my case - lots of dust got inside the PJ and obstructed the vents, which caused the overheating ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain
They claimed it was a dusty environment in my case - lots of dust got inside the PJ and obstructed the vents, which caused the overheating ...


I'm hoping that's the reason for mine - that after the carpet is not so new there will be less dust and fibers in the air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Strange.... is it real warm in your room? There may be a fault with your PJ otherwise methinks. No reason it should overheat from new carpet fibres floating in the air I wouldn't think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,402 Posts
Stavo -- Follow the manual instructions to remove the filters. You can use your vacuum with one of the brushes (that will cut the amount of suction). What you don't want is the filter being sucked into the vacuum cleaner, so just be carefull. In a dusty environment, even every 5 hours between cleanings is not unusual (I normally recommend cleaning at least every 40 hours even in a clean room).


If the filter is the polyester fiber type, you can wash it off with mild dishwashing soap and water. Then rinse it thoroughly and pat it dry with a lint free towel (or a hair dryer on low heat, or cold, from about 6" away. Let it dry completely before putting it back in the PJ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, thanks... I'll give that a try. Every 40 hours would be too often for me, though. The way it mounts does not make for easy removal and then replacement. Taking it down and putting it back up is going to take too long for me to clean it that frequently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts
If the filters are the culprit then you would see a large amount of carpet lint when you pull the filters. They should not get that dirty after only 25 hours, but your inspection of the filters will confirm this one way or the other. I suspect it might be something other than the filters, perhaps a bad sensor which is telling the projector to shut down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last night I read through the official (?) SP5000 thread and found quite a few references to this being a common problem with this particular model. Supposedly, it happens on a random basis from time to time.


Now I don't know what to do. Do I go through the hassle of taking it down and cleaning the filters even though it's so new?


I wish there was a way to access the filters without taking apart the whole mounting mechanism.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,054 Posts
The real problem is that since heat rises th PJ will be at least 10-15 degrees warmer than the room temperature, On a hot day I don't use my PJ unless the ac is on and anther easy fix is to mount a small exterior fan to keep it cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I purchased an Infocus SP5000 projector a few weeks ago. After about 50 hours on the projector I can say there is definately something wrong. In a 2 week period the projector has given me the overheat warning 3 times. The projector is ceiling mounted and I have already looked at the filters and they are clean. I put a thermometer on top of the projector (not blocking the vents) and it was a cool 74 degrees. I did notice that the projector will sometimes kick the fans up to high speed and other times it just goes to the warning message and turn off. You don't expect these types of problems with expensive equipment. Now I'm torn between returning it or having it repaired. I like the projector otherwise, but is this something that is more of a design flaw and may not be able to be fixed??? What do you think. Thanks!!!!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top