AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone…I'm looking at possibly getting either the Sony XEL-1 or LG EL9500 OLED TVs for my bedroom or kitchen since they seem to be coming down significantly in price. I'm leaning towards the LG since it appears to have better specs and a better resolution than the Sony. Here's my question on the LG…as far as I can tell, this TV was never released in the U.S. and was instead released only in the UK/Europe. Will this TV meet NTSC standards here in the U.S.? Does it come with a U.S. or European plug? I'd appreciate any input.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I read the manual for you. It does not mention NTSC, so it's safe to assume it isn't NTSC compliant.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Just about anything sold in Europe should support NTSC/60Hz signals - though you may need to use something of a higher standard than a composite connection, as that can cause problems. I wouldn't count its exclusion from the manual as a lack of support.

The reverse is where you have problems - US displays typically only support NTSC/60Hz content (and now 24Hz) lacking any support for PAL/50Hz.

You may also need a step-up voltage converter. Europe operates on 240V instead of 120V and they may not have power supplies that support 120-240V.

I didn't think either of these displays were available for purchase anywhere though - they have been long discontinued, and I would love to own either.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, everyone. Ultimately, the NTSC compliance isn't a deal-breaker for me since I'd probably mainly use it for playing movies from a USB drive. In any case, I'm still leaning towards the LG if I can find one since the LG seems to have better specs over the Sony. I think the $979 price is still a little too expensive, so I'll see if I can find a better deal elsewhere. Does the LG ship with both European and U.S. power cables, or just European?

·
Premium Member
18,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreaky_d  /t/1520810/questions-regarding-sony-xel-1-or-lg-el9500-oled-tvs#post_24437049

Thanks for the input, everyone. Ultimately, the NTSC compliance isn't a deal-breaker for me since I'd probably mainly use it for playing movies from a USB drive. In any case, I'm still leaning towards the LG if I can find one since the LG seems to have better specs over the Sony. I think the $979 price is still a little too expensive, so I'll see if I can find a better deal elsewhere. Does the LG ship with both European and U.S. power cables, or just European?

No TV comes with both Euro and NA power cables. It's just not done.

TV makers only make version of their TVs for specific countries and they are not designed to be used outside of that country, so the TV will ship with whatever power cord necessary for the country it was made to be sold in.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again, everyone. Has anyone seen BOTH TVs and can you give me an opinion on which would be better with the best PQ? On paper, it looks like the lg wins hands-down.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured I would update this post in case anyone cares…I recently picked up a Sony XEL-1 OLED TV, so I'm going to eventually get around to hopefully answering my own question as to how these two OLED TVs compare. I'll post my observations here when I get a chance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts