AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a situation where 2 HDTVs in two rooms share a common wall literally a foot apart. I want to use HDMI to one tv and drill a little hole in the wall and go component out + optical out to the other television (via receiver).

Will the A2 output component/optical when there is an HDMI connection or will I have to change menu settings each time I want to use it for either tv?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use both outputs from my A2 to the same TV, a little different but might help you. I prefer to use component out for HD-DVD mostly, due to having a RP CRT HDTV. I have the HDMI hooked up (via HDMI-DVI cable) for watching upconverted SD-DVDs. I have the optical out to my rcvr and HDMI settings to downmixed 2Ch PCM.

I think it should work, but will you just use TV speakers on first one with HDMI, and a rcvr on second Tv (terminating the optical, and carrying on the component to the TV) ? That should work well to get 2Ch audio to the TV via HDMI, and you shouldn't have HDCP issues. Ony limitation is no upconversion of copy-protected SD-DVDs over the component.

There is a section in the manual about how the HDMI and component are tied together and one will be changed according to the other in certain conditions, but I haven't figured out exactly when that would happen yet, and I seem to be getting full 1080i on either one when I expect it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been using v2.5 firmware since Oct 2007. I'm not sure what the player shipped with, but the first I did was throw it on my network and upgrade (though I hadn't had any issues playing, etc). I'm not going to upgrade f/w again until I run into any issues that I need to overcome.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVRoe /forum/post/12912594

I've been using v2.5 firmware since Oct 2007. I'm not sure what the player shipped with, but the first I did was throw it on my network and upgrade (though I hadn't had any issues playing, etc). I'm not going to upgrade f/w again until I run into any issues that I need to overcome.

Mine is at 2.8. I upgraded last night. But I was only able to test component and hdmi simultaneoulsy back when I was at 1.3T. I forgot to test it when I upgraded to 2.5 and 2.7. I will test it later and I will post the results.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awesome! Thanks a lot guys, you've all been very helpful.

so both pictures will output simultaneously--only question is whether I'll have to toggle between HDMI audiio and the optical out.

upconversion of SD dvds isn't really an issue as I have a PS3 to handle that.

Thanks again all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts