AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I wanted to clue some people in on a dirty little framing trick I pulled off. I ordered my DW laminate from the Depot, and in a desperate (i.e. lazy) search for frame material, I walked down the insulation isle.

I'm moving out of my house soon, so I needed a non-permanent, functional frame to mount my laminate to. I grabbed a 2" thick, 4'x8' sheet of insulation board, and some of the industrial velcro. I attached the velcro to the laminate (whilst laying on the board), squared up the corners, then peeled the backing off the opposite side of the velcro to secure to the foam. I worked slowly, making sure I didn't lose my corners or border, but it turned out great!

Now I have a "portable" picture I can pick up (total weight=maybe 15-20 lbs) and move out of the room when people (i.e. chicks that don't like stereo equipment) come by to view the house. Once I move, I will permanently mount it to the wall in the new home, but will probably keep the foam attached because it provides solid rigidity to the laminate, yet makes it easy to manipulate by myself.

Anyway, if I get some batteries for the camera, I'll take some pictures if anyone is interested. If not, or if this is old news, then sorry I got excited about my foam

·
Registered
914 Posts
Thank you.

That's a clever and practical way to mount screen material that is 4 x 8 or under while reducing weight.

It would work very well for flexible materials that require rigid mounting such as Parkland Plastics.

John

·
Registered
994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog35 /forum/post/0

Hey all. I wanted to clue some people in on a dirty little framing trick I pulled off. I ordered my DW laminate from the Depot, and in a desperate (i.e. lazy) search for frame material, I walked down the insulation isle.

I'm moving out of my house soon, so I needed a non-permanent, functional frame to mount my laminate to. I grabbed a 2" thick, 4'x8' sheet of insulation board, and some of the industrial velcro. I attached the velcro to the laminate (whilst laying on the board), squared up the corners, then peeled the backing off the opposite side of the velcro to secure to the foam. I worked slowly, making sure I didn't lose my corners or border, but it turned out great!

Now I have a "portable" picture I can pick up (total weight=maybe 15-20 lbs) and move out of the room when people (i.e. chicks that don't like stereo equipment) come by to view the house. Once I move, I will permanently mount it to the wall in the new home, but will probably keep the foam attached because it provides solid rigidity to the laminate, yet makes it easy to manipulate by myself.

Anyway, if I get some batteries for the camera, I'll take some pictures if anyone is interested. If not, or if this is old news, then sorry I got excited about my foam

I'd be interested in some pics

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I know, I need to get the pics up. I've had a hellacious couple weeks trying to sell my house, and I'm just forgetting. I'll try and get them up soon. Sorry about that.

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts
Great idea.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Does the velcro or insulation come in bigger sizes? Sounds like a great idea, but I'm looking at a 5x8 or 5x10 laminate. Also, what are your opinions on the laminate being larger than the insulation and velcro? Do you think it would still hold nice and snug like your equal size does?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Huh--I just arrived at this independently myself.

I am making a screen for our church for liturgical movie nights (showing "Prince of Egypt" in a few weeks). I had been using photography paper (see the discussion on photog paper in the DIY screen section), but wanted something a little easier to use--something I could just pull out of storage and pop up on a wall.

So I was wandering down the aisles in Home Depot when I came across this foam board (sound familiar?). It's very stiff, and very flat and has a great surface. I am either going to tack a piece of photog paper to it or paint it. I will likely tack some photog paper to it, making it super easy. Instant screen.

I just have to put it on the wall, and will likely use the velcro for that, assuming that the velcro can be peeled off afterward from the wall.

I am also considering using this material for my outdoor screen as well--four 4x8 sheets side-by-side. I will likely paint this material and use gaffers tape to fill the seams. But this stuff is so light, yet apparently so durable, I think it will work great for that (assuming it doesn't get blown over by a sudden gust of wind!)

Great minds think alike!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.