AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and am a noob to A/V technicalities I suppose but follow instruction and description quite well. I am trying to figure a way to stream media from my laptop to my TV (more so the topbox), but dunno where to start?

I have brighthouse in my condo and have a secure wireless router that is used for internet, phone, fax, and what not. is there a way I can connect through ethernet cable a spare linksys hotspot router I have to the back of my cable box??

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thx

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the cable box doesn't support media streaming. You'd have to get another box to handle that. There's a ton of options out there depending on what your needs are and what you're willing to spend. What type of files are you wanting to stream? How are they encoded? What will you be playing them back on? What kind of inputs does it have? Wired or wireless? Budget? What software will you be using to share your media? Does it need to have other functions like Netflix streaming or Pandora or anything like that? Answer those questions and we'll be able to give you some feedback on what might fit your needs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for input.

Basically would like to just playback avi/mp3/mpeg4/mkv (movie files basically on my comp). No need for anything else just simple as that, just didnt wanna have VGA-to-Component cords along with audio wires running from my laptop to TV.

was thinking of something like an apple tv for windows? But some device ~$60-$80 would be great if that exists. If netflix capable that would be great, if not...no biggie.

Thx again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.