AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd just like to have someone double check my cf before I get to finalizing this new design.

Enclosure will be made out of 3/4" MDF and driver displacement is .25cf x 2. Length is 65.5. I've calculated a couple different ways and the internal volume differs so I want to make sure I'm using the right method.

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1521016/quick-calculation-needed-for-verification#post_24439893

I'd just like to have someone double check my cf before I get to finalizing this new design.

Enclosure will be made out of 3/4" MDF and driver displacement is .25cf x 2. Length is 65.5. I've calculated a couple different ways and the internal volume differs so I want to make sure I'm using the right method.

Thank you.

I'm getting 18.6 cubic feet external volume

16.05 cubic feet internal

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1521016/quick-calculation-needed-for-verification/0_80#post_24439957

Just do a square box for the bottom potion and then second one down for the top two thirds of your pic. You very well might have already? http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/enclosure-volume-calculator/ I'm sure someone can do it by the numbers though.

I did that but the only thing I'm racking my brain on is the extra dimension based on the inside 2 edges not having a side. I added .75 to one side on each but am not sure if that's right lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11  /t/1521016/quick-calculation-needed-for-verification/0_80#post_24439977

I'm getting 18.6 cubic feet

I sure as hell hope not.

I get anywhere between 8.05 and 8.3 depending on the aforementioned mystery side.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1521016/quick-calculation-needed-for-verification#post_24439985

I did that but the only thing I'm racking my brain on is the extra dimension based on the inside 2 edges not having a side. I added .75 to one side on each but am not sure if that's right lol.

I sure as hell hope not.

I get anywhere between 8.05 and 8.3 depending on the aforementioned mystery side.

I just did a quick calc on iphone................external volume

Trapezoid area (b1 +b2)/2*H + rectangle area ( B*H) gives base area.............multiply by 65.5 for length and you have volume in cubic inches......multiply by 1 cf/ 1728 cubic inches and now you have cubic feet.   I don't have my TI-92 on hand.  I do a lot of stumpage with logs so I'm not too far off.

Edit: 

Freaking iphone........................the trapezoidal base was not divided by two.............now getting 11.2 minus approximately 2.5 cf for 3/4 inch MDF and driver

How's 8.7 cf?  I'll go find my calculator.....................phone calculations suck!!!

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's my calc

I added .75" to the height on both boxes as there won't be anything dividing them as one obviously. I'm hoping this is accurate. I get 8.24 total cubes after bracing. That's 4.1 per driver.

That's a little less then my front ones got (4.25 each).

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
No, just do .10 on your thickness and you'll come out very close doing it as I said.. It's a option anyway.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1521016/quick-calculation-needed-for-verification/0_80#post_24440128

No, just do .10 on your thickness and you'll come out very close. You can add that to your number if you like.

You lost me there Steve. Why .1? It's asking for thickness in relation to inches, which would be .75. Am I misunderstanding this?

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Just do your calc with your original drawing split in two. Ok I see what your saying. You are doing it as two units.. yeah you're good. What little we can't calc isn't going to matter.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1521016/quick-calculation-needed-for-verification/0_80#post_24440167

Just do your calc with your original drawing split in two. Ok I see what your saying. You are doing it as two units.. yeah you're good. What little we can't calc isn't going to matter.

Cool. Always nice to have a second pair of eyes check it out.

The only thing I'm debating now is reducing the size a bit to put it under 4cf as I'll be running a bit more power than the fronts are getting.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlinkous  /t/1521016/quick-calculation-needed-for-verification/0_80#post_24440191

5.94 cf without the hole or port internally.

That's not quite accurate as I have an extra "leg" on my design.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
Cool. Always nice to have a second pair of eyes check it out.

I didn't check it out. I know your all to capable. thumbs up

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1521016/quick-calculation-needed-for-verification/0_80#post_24440202

I didn't check it out. I know your all to capable. thumbs up

LOL. I do have my blonde moments though.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlinkous  /t/1521016/quick-calculation-needed-for-verification/0_80#post_24440214

I saw in your original post it did, but then in the screen crab of your calculator you didnt have it. So I thought you were updating the design. But thats how I usually figure out volum is to create the shape, then you group them and it'll show you volume.

The screen grab has it. I built each box separately and combined cf to get a total.

The only thing that's throwing me is the fact when you add .75" to the angled box, it might be inaccurately calculating overall volume due to it's angled design. It's probably not enough to worry about but my ocd...........................

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1521016/quick-calculation-needed-for-verification#post_24440110

Here's my calc

I added .75" to the height on both boxes as there won't be anything dividing them as one obviously. I'm hoping this is accurate. I get 8.24 total cubes after bracing. That's 4.1 per driver.

That's a little less then my front ones got (4.25 each).

Wait a second!  You said height was 23 inches in original post............................................you suckered me!  I'm a human calculator!!!  lol

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11  /t/1521016/quick-calculation-needed-for-verification/0_80#post_24440250

Wait a second!  You said height was 23 inches in original post............................................you suckered me!  I'm a human calculator!!!  lol

Height is 23". Seeing as I was building 2 separate boxes in the calc, I was taking into consideration the two sides that won't be there when combined into one box. So hence adding 1.5" to the total height. That should make my internal volume pretty close to accurate.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmadesign  /t/1521016/quick-calculation-needed-for-verification/0_80#post_24440661

I'm getting 9.04 cubic feet before I subtract the .5 cubic feet for the drivers with no internal braces. One problem I was having is with the dimensions you listed. I'm showing that the 20.5 inch face should actually be 19.98 inches long.

http://s218.photobucket.com/user/Fish_Time/media/subbox.png.html

I think you're right there. I don't have a cad program so I was doing the calc in my head.

After gluing all my sides together I realize I made another calculation error. When factoring in for my double baffle, I didn't take into consideration based on an angled design, I'm going to lose another 1.5" of surface area.
The width and height should have been lengthened accordingly.

At this point I'm just going to forge forward. This is my third box design trying to make this hide behind my second row and I'm not building another at this point. I'll have to run with a single 3/4" baffle and hopefully some extra bracing will be sufficient. I was hoping to flush the drivers more so they wouldn't be as obtrusive, but it is what it is. It's also going to be an extremely tight squeeze between the magnet and the back of the cab. I'm hoping this doesn't present any performance issues.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmadesign  /t/1521016/quick-calculation-needed-for-verification#post_24440661

I'm getting 9.04 cubic feet before I subtract the .5 cubic feet for the drivers with no internal braces. One problem I was having is with the dimensions you listed. I'm showing that the 20.5 inch face should actually be 19.98 inches long.

If I add the volume of the driver................I get what you calculated.

I used my brain................you guys use calculators.................hmmmmmmm.  lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts