AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be soon be receiving a Kuro 9G Elite monitor. After break-in, I plan to have it professionally calibrated, specifically the PURE and ISO modes.

In the near future if I plan to drop cable and change to satellite, should I wait for the calibration until after I make the change? Does it matter? In other words, does the source affect the calibration or is the calibration independent of the source (other than it being 1080i, 1080p, etc)?

Hopefully not a stupid question... Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
i would absolutely wait. half the calibration is making sure your source is working properly with the display, and your cable box could be completely different than the new satellite box. i cant get anymore technical than that, but wait.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Calibrators won't directly calibrate for cable or satellite. Those are not reference sources so cannot be realistically calibrated.

What they will typically do is calibrate the tv to a reference HD signal from a signal generator. Since we don't watch generator patterns ... this is just a base line set up ... with the hope that the cable / satellite comes close ... which it will and won't.

About the only gross adjustment I've seen and done between a generator and the cable is finding out that the cable signal is too dark. But then again, sometimes it is too bright.

Regards

·
Registered
2,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/16952176

Greetings

Calibrators won't directly calibrate for cable or satellite. Those are not reference sources so cannot be realistically calibrated.

What they will typically do is calibrate the tv to a reference HD signal from a signal generator. Since we don't watch generator patterns ... this is just a base line set up ... with the hope that the cable / satellite comes close ... which it will and won't.

About the only gross adjustment I've seen and done between a generator and the cable is finding out that the cable signal is too dark. But then again, sometimes it is too bright.

Regards

+1

Several years years ago when you were much more likely to run across a cable or sat box that put out incorrect levels (like 7.5 IRE black at 1080i) or the wrong color space (RGB via HDMI, though that only matters on a few TVs) it would have been more important to wait. But these problems are very rare now. I'd feel safe calibrating now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts