AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT, NEVERMIND... STEVE POSTED MY ANSWER BELOW. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

question was as follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys,

I'm getting ready to do the Marquee 8000 "Vertical Modification" as diagrammed here:

http://www.etechvideo.com/techtip5.htm

I picked up a gazillion "56k ohms, 1/4w, 5%, Carbon" for $1.50 at Fry's.

Tim at E-Tech advocates Metal resistors. I didn't find any and got Carbon instead. Is this "okay", or am I asking for trouble?

I've got everything laid out and am ready to solder at a moments notice. Please answer before I get too excited and "go to town" on this thing. :p

Thanks,

Ed

· Registered
1,005 Posts
metal film resistors have less noise than carbon resistors. Also, the value tends to be more accurate with metal film resistors, and they do not drift over time as much.

· Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by steve
metal film resistors have less noise than carbon resistors. Also, the value tends to be more accurate with metal film resistors, and they do not drift over time as much.
Thanks so much for the quick answer, Steve.

I'll head out now to the other local Fry's and see if they have it. Actually, I'll check the Marquee Maintenene thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

..... for anything else I might want to pick up while I'm there.

LA... gotta love it. A Fry's on every corner. :D
yes, i'm stretching that just a little, but you get the picture ;)

· Registered
1,325 Posts
If you can,t find the 56K's try strapping more attainable 47K metal films 1/4 watt across each 10K (R41, R47, R52) It might be a little easier overall.

David

· Registered
4,810 Posts
Quote:
I didn't find any and got Carbon instead. Is this "okay", or am I asking for trouble?
Well if you've been reading the "maintenance thread" then it should be obvious that the whole point is to get rid of as many carbon resistors as possible, with very few exceptions. to summarize ; metal= good, carbon=bad:p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.