AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i'll be getting HDMI extenders for my projector soon and i was wondering what type of cable i should run, cat5e or cat6 utp.

i have a ton of cat5e already but i have a local guy selling 250' of cat6 utp for $50.

i only need about 100' but i don't mind keeping the extra.

which would be the best choice?

thank you for your help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you want 1080p at over 40ft, you need cat6. Else, cat5 is fine for 1080i and lower.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
FWIW, 250' of CAT6 for $50 isn't a very good price. I bought 1000' for $115 several years ago when copper was more expensive.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you're going to be in the house for awhile and not have easy access to re-wire I would go ahead and spend the little bit extra and get Cat6. I'd rather spend a little bit more to have extra capacity and not use it than save a few dollars and be faced with re-doing the wiring if I need it for an upgrade.

I guess you could run a conduit in case you need to re-wire but if you pay for the supplies to do that then you might as well run the Cat6

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
That's not that great. You can buy 500' for $77 here, although you do have to pay shipping:

Parts Express

If you look around, there are probably cheaper prices.

·
Registered
202 Posts
At minimum run two runs of cat5e, two (or more) runs of cat6 would obviously be better - cable is cheap compared to tearing out sheetrock/paint/fabric wall treatments etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the replies. i don't plan on spending that much for that cable, i'll probably see if he can do @20. i was just wondering if i should buy cat6 since i already have so much cat5.

BTW, i need at least 2 runs of 25-30' but will probably do 4.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
So how much are you paying for extenders?

Why not use HDMI cable? They can be had cheap, like $15, if you know not to shop at a box store.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a similar question so thought I would post here instead of starting a new thread... Hope you don't my OP.

I am currently remodeling my master bed and bath which on the second story. I currently have the walls and floor gutted. It's a great time to run any cable for future use. Directly below the master is the family/game/theatre room. That room is already wired with surround, hmdi to FP and Plasma. However, I will eventually want to put in a Whole House Audio system and I may want to run wired internet to the rest of the house.

So my question is... What type of wire should I run (Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6) and how many runs per room? I basically want to "future proof" this since I can run all my cable to where my equipment is downstairs and then just leave it in my attic until I do the final install.

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouscuban /forum/post/18323421

I have a similar question so thought I would post here instead of starting a new thread... Hope you don't my OP.

I am currently remodeling my master bed and bath which on the second story. I currently have the walls and floor gutted. It's a great time to run any cable for future use. Directly below the master is the family/game/theatre room. That room is already wired with surround, hmdi to FP and Plasma. However, I will eventually want to put in a Whole House Audio system and I may want to run wired internet to the rest of the house.

So my question is... What type of wire should I run (Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6) and how many runs per room? I basically want to "future proof" this since I can run all my cable to where my equipment is downstairs and then just leave it in my attic until I do the final install.

Thanks,

Alex

Is your budget so tight that the difference b/t cat5 and 6 will make a difference? Not criticizing, just honestly asking.

Also the BEST future proof thing to do would be run conduit.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedoc2be /forum/post/18325675

Is your budget so tight that the difference b/t cat5 and 6 will make a difference? Not criticizing, just honestly asking.

Also the BEST future proof thing to do would be run conduit.

Not an issue of cost. I'm not sure which is the better cable to run. I plan to run conduit as well BTW.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NP, questions help us all. i would run cat6 tho.

anyway, i don't know what extender i'm going to run but i'm still doing research. any opinions on a good one?

i would run a hdmi but the house is already done and it would be a pita to do that now.

the guy said he would do $35 for the cable but thats still a little high so i guess i'll keep looking.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouscuban /forum/post/18325938

Not an issue of cost. I'm not sure which is the better cable to run. I plan to run conduit as well BTW.

Then run cat6. Run two to each room, even if you don't know why. (Color code them.)

Don't run "plenum" grade. It isn't required, is more expensive, and the jacket is stiff and prone to kink (not a good thing).

·
Registered
400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF /forum/post/18330512

Then run cat6. Run two to each room, even if you don't know why. (Color code them.)

Don't run "plenum" grade. It isn't required, is more expensive, and the jacket is stiff and prone to kink (not a good thing).

Thanks... that helps. I was reading about the plenum grade and it didn't sound like I need it so you've affirmed that.

Running two to each room is not a problem. Would rather run the extra cable and never use it than to wish I had.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
You might also consider running RG6 coax, though perhaps the time for that is past.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF /forum/post/18330567

You might also consider running RG6 coax, though perhaps the time for that is past.

For cable?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Or whatever. UTP (e.g. cat6) must operate in a balanced circuit for good noise rejection. Coax is much better in an unbalanced configuration. Current use would be video or cable/satellite. Not sure what to expect in the future.

I'm using RG-6 for video distribution, and I ran two lines - one white one black - to some rooms that might also be video sources. It's come in very handy.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF /forum/post/18334302

Or whatever. UTP (e.g. cat6) must operate in a balanced circuit for good noise rejection. Coax is much better in an unbalanced configuration. Current use would be video or cable/satellite. Not sure what to expect in the future.

I'm using RG-6 for video distribution, and I ran two lines - one white one black - to some rooms that might also be video sources. It's come in very handy.

Excuse me if this is a basic question but what do you mean by "balanced circuit"?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts