AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, have a look at the attached pic i just quickly threw together. Will this technically work? I want to try out running two subs the cheapo way before i order some proper cable from monoprice etc.

Will this simple solution work?

Thanks (apologies for the cheesy pic but im more of a visual guy)...

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
You can put a Y adapter at the output of the AVR and run separate cables to each sub. Or you can run a cable from the AVR to the first sub, put on a Y adapter and run a cable from sub 1 to sub 2. Either way, you need a male to 2 female Y.

In the first method, the male end of the Y would plug into the AVR sub out and one end of each sub cable will plug into the 2 female sockets of the Y. Then the other end of each sub cable will plug into the Low Level or LFE input on the subs. In the second method, a sub cable gets plugged into the AVR's sub out. The other end will plug into one the the Y female sockets. The male plug on the Y will plug into the Low Level input on sub 1. The second sub cable will plug into the second female socket on the Y and the other end will plug into sub 2.

These are both the same to the signal. The just differ in how the cables are run.

·
Registered
446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmfer /forum/post/19569096

Hey guys, have a look at the attached pic i just quickly threw together. Will this technically work? I want to try out running two subs the cheapo way before i order some proper cable from monoprice etc.

Will this simple solution work?

Thanks (apologies for the cheesy pic but im more of a visual guy)...

This is how you will do it even with 'proper' cable from Monoprice.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/19569158

You can put a Y adapter at the output of the AVR and run separate cables to each sub. Or you can run a cable from the AVR to the first sub, put on a Y adapter and run a cable from sub 1 to sub 2. Either way, you need a male to 2 female Y.

yah agreed on where I put the "Y", to do this on the cheap for now, I will put it as seen in the pic. This way I can run 2 shorter lengths to the subs from the Y since my receiver is about 18 feet from the subs. Know what I mean?

I wont have a problem running a component cable or regular RCA to the subs from the Y for now will I? Meaning they will work just fine?

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
yah agreed on where I put the "Y", to do this on the cheap for now, I will put it as seen in the pic. This way I can run 2 shorter lengths to the subs from the Y since my receiver is about 18 feet from the subs. Know what I mean? This is method 2. The lengths of the cables are irrelevant. They just determine if the Y is close to the subs or close to the receiver.

I wont have a problem running a component cable or regular RCA to the subs from the Y for now will I? Meaning they will work just fine? They will be fine. I use component interconnect cables.

THIS is the type of Y I prefer over the molded type. The short leads give you some flexibility and can help fit in dense connector locations like the back of an AVR.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/19569337

yah agreed on where I put the "Y", to do this on the cheap for now, I will put it as seen in the pic. This way I can run 2 shorter lengths to the subs from the Y since my receiver is about 18 feet from the subs. Know what I mean? This is method 2. The lengths of the cables are irrelevant. They just determine if the Y is close to the subs or close to the receiver.

I wont have a problem running a component cable or regular RCA to the subs from the Y for now will I? Meaning they will work just fine? They will be fine. I use component interconnect cables.

THIS is the type of Y I prefer over the molded type. The short leads give you some flexibility and can help fit in dense connector locations like the back of an AVR.

Thanks bud, after reading the way I wrote this thread I realized I could have been more clear. This is caused by the fact I was doing this while on a conference call...LOL.

Anyways, I realize the length of the cable doesnt matter too much, but was just gonna go this way tonight because I have a bunch of shorter 10' or less component cables and RCA's laying around. Then if Im happy with the results, I will grab some cables off monoprice and "neatly" run the cables etc.

Ok thanks again guys, I know what Im doing tonight. The bummer is Im in canada and we dont have any radioshacks anymore...they've all been turned into "the source"

They should still have it though. All i need is the m-2 Female splitter

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmfer /forum/post/19569382

Thanks bud, after reading the way I wrote this thread I realized I could have been more clear. This is caused by the fact I was doing this while on a conference call...LOL.

Anyways, I realize the length of the cable doesnt matter too much, but was just gonna go this way tonight because I have a bunch of shorter 10' or less component cables and RCA's laying around. Then if Im happy with the results, I will grab some cables off monoprice and "neatly" run the cables etc.

Ok thanks again guys, I know what Im doing tonight. The bummer is Im in canada and we dont have any radioshacks anymore...they've all been turned into "the source"

They should still have it though. All i need is the m-2 Female splitter

If you're going to run 3 cables and put the splitter somewhere mid point, then you need something like THIS . All the cables should be Male at both ends. So you run one cable from the AVR to the splitter, then a separate cable from the splitter to each sub.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yah i just reminded myself of that when thinking of where to pick one up. If Im going to put the Y in the middle somewhere I definately need F/M to 2 F/M since all my cables are m-m.

Thanks again. Nice clean simple thread

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.