AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both are available at my local big name retailer, the 351 for only $290 (thanks to price matching plus 10% lower) and the Zenith for $249. Which should I grab for the superbowl? I will be using it with my Z2 and I would like to be able to receive SDTV on it as well but I think both do this...

Anyone in favor of one over the other?

Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
I went through 2 SIR-t351's. They have a well known audio dropout problem. The Zenith is OK. I have heard good things about the new Motorola and it is user firmware upgradeable. It can be had for $299. I ended up going with Directv and use the Hughes for OTA now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the 420 but returned it since I couldn't stand the "long" delay it had when changing HD channels. How's the delay on the 351?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Only problem is that each time it is booted up, it comes up in closed caption mode. Temporary remedy is to leave it on. Hope they release a firmware re-load to cure this. This receiver offers aspect ratio selection and format output selection from remote controller. These, i have found, are very handy features. Hurry to your Circuit City. Might find a deal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
ed2day wrote: "What do you consider long? I have the T351 and channel change is about 2 sec. to lock."

About 2 seconds also on the zenith. Maybe that's just the way it is with HD channels (I dunno since I am new to all this HD stuff but have been spoiled with the almost instaneous channel changing via anolog tuners of my Hitachi and Sony CRT's). The 2 seconds seemed like forever...I guess I lack patience :mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a firmware update for the HDT-100 and it fixes the closed captioning problem. It is not being made public yet because it is somewhat technical. You have to hook up a null modem cable and use HyperTerminal and if you do it wrong the unit can be trashed.

The user interface for the Motorola could be improved, but it has worked very well for me. I first bought a SIR-351 but it had the audio dropout problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.