AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To my fellow AVS bretheren,

I have a quick decision to make. Keep the media rack to the front of the room, or move the media cabinet to the back corner of the room next to the bar area???

What would you do? Have to make this decision in the next few hours as I have the electrician coming on Monday and I am not able to work in the basement tomorrow?

Thoughts? Appreciate any feedback.

Here are the pics of the front of the room where the media rack was going to be, and here are pics from the back (screen will be a 125" AT screen):

Back corner by the bar where I am considering moving the rack:

Here is the actual space next to the bar:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I vote back- equipment lights in the front will be distracting

·
Registered
345 Posts
back

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I'd vote back too - but you'll need to plan for an IR extender, in case you're not already.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
I did mine in the back - much better location than the front, especially with guests. You can change discs, adjust settings, etc. without being seen and/or getting in the image. And I'd echo what others have said about the distraction of lights on the equipment. Turning the rack to face towards the screen just means you're throwing a blue/green glow onto the screen...

I used the Middle Atlantic AXS pull-out rack, which has been great. Highly recommended if you don't have rear access to the rack, wherever you put it.

Good luck,

Jeff

·
Registered
423 Posts
In back. Get a Harmony remote with RF module.

Greg

·
Registered
658 Posts
Back or outside

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Probably too late anyway and it's against everyone elses advice, but I'd vote for front.

I have mine in the front (actually the side wall, but near the front) and would never have it any other way.

In the 6 years I've had my theater, I've yet to have a single guest state that any of the lights were a distraction (you don't even notice them during a movie).

It allows me, however, in my particular seat to glance over if I want and see things like volume level, time remaining on the disc, surround format, etc. It would frustrate me terribly if I didn't have access to that information.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd /forum/post/20846907

Outside the theater, if that is a possibility.

+2 on this one.

Otherwise, the back.

Equipment, whenever possible, should not be located within a theater space. It not only adds noise, but heat to the room, which must then be cooled with noisy air handlers. So, you get equipment and air handler noise - blech.

Yet, if back of the room is the location, make sure you have proper ventilation, and almost as important, good access to the gear stack. A complex system without rear access can be a total nightmare when there are any issues at all.

Of course, the good RF remote is a must!

·
Registered
12,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I decided to move it to the back. It cleaned up the front wall and opened up more options for subwoofer placement along the front wall. The were pros and cons to each option. This room is more of a general family/media room and it is not getting double drywall or green glue. The seating are will be almost 15' away from the media rack so I doubt noise will be an issue. I am adding some cooling and there are two air returns and fresh air getting pumped into the basement along with an A/C register nearby. I am not running big amps or anything that will generate much heat or noise.

I had already purchased a 75' IR extender. But the HDMI cable I purchased may be a tight fit, and I need to order another (longer) subwoofer cable (will be a 7.2 system initially and looking to do 4 subs sometime next year).

Thanks all!

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Ack - I recommend that you run 3-6 pieces of CAT-6 cabling if you haven't already done so. Since there are cat cabling extenders, if you ever run into any issues with your HDMI cable, you can just get a HDMI 1.9 to cat-6 extender and use that instead.

It doesn't guarantee future proofing, but it certainly adds some peace of mind.

If not cat-6 then conduit is a must. Great time to be able to get in and wire the multimedia room to perfection - as well as the rest of your home.

The setup looks like it will be really nice when completed!

·
Registered
12,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated /forum/post/0

Ack - I recommend that you run 3-6 pieces of CAT-6 cabling if you haven't already done so. Since there are cat cabling extenders, if you ever run into any issues with your HDMI cable, you can just get a HDMI 1.9 to cat-6 extender and use that instead.

It doesn't guarantee future proofing, but it certainly adds some peace of mind.

If not cat-6 then conduit is a must. Great time to be able to get in and wire the multimedia room to perfection - as well as the rest of your home.

The setup looks like it will be really nice when completed!

I was planning for 2 runs of Cat 6, but will go ahead and order another 2. Agree with you, better to be safe than sorry. Planning on conduit to the PJ.

Thanks for the advice! Doing most of this DIY, so learning as I go.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Also, if you haven't, cat cabling to the screen so that you can add a Wii sensor bar, or a X-Box Kinect unit. Cat cabling is so cheap, not running it now doesn't even make sense!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.