AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new receiver and when I watch HD sat it decodes 5.1 if the show is presented that way. One thing that I don't really like is that when it goes to commercials that are created in 2 channel stereo sound the receiver decodes the two channels and and it plays in stereo, then switches back to DD when the show comes back on.

My old receiver used to keep all the speakers on no matter what...I guess the stuff that wasn't DD was just in pro logic? If I set my receiver to pro logic II movie mode for example, the SD shows or movies and commercials etc are in simulated surround, but will the actual shows in DD still be in pro logic or will it keep them as they are originally in DD?

I just don't want to have to switch the receiver from DD to pro logic if I go from a digital channel to an SD channel to watch a movie for example...

the receiver in question is a sony str dv10...thanks!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Don't use Pro Logic. Pro Logic II, however, is safe to use on both stereo and multichannel signals.

·
Read the FAQ!
36,601 Posts
I don't know that Sony receiver, but most reasonably designed receivers will automatically switch processing according to whether the incoming audio is stereo or multi-channel. Stereo here would also include Dolby Digital 2.0 input.

Pro Logic II (which supersedes the older Pro Logic) "invents" audio signals for center and surround speakers by doing math on the incoming stereo audio signal.

I think all you need to do is turn on PLII as the default audio mode when the receiver is handed stereo audio input. The DD 5.1 stuff will take care of itself automatically.

--Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.