AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I tried hooking up my roommates XBOX via composite and analog R/L to the front video in. I got audio to play on my speakers but my TV did not receive a signal.

The monitor out is hooked up via S-video. Thinking it might be that I need a Composite cable running to my TV for the composite input from the XBOX, I hooked a cord up and it works. I thought that the HK 435 had the ability to send out all NORMAL(thats what it says in the manual) video sources out either of the monitor outs(Composite or S-video). Is this wrong?

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489
Today, I tried hooking up my roommates XBOX via composite and analog R/L to the front video in. I got audio to play on my speakers but my TV did not receive a signal.

The monitor out is hooked up via S-video. Thinking it might be that I need a Composite cable running to my TV for the composite input from the XBOX, I hooked a cord up and it works. I thought that the HK 435 had the ability to send out all NORMAL(thats what it says in the manual) video sources out either of the monitor outs(Composite or S-video). Is this wrong?

The video cross conversion feature is in the HK635 not the 435...

Composite IN Composite OUT

S-Video IN S-Video OUT

Component Video IN Component Video OUT

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hm ok, I knew the 635 did component and that the 435 did not, but I wasn't sure about S-video from composite. Hey M CODE do you have the movie minority report?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
OK, well this is very close to a question I had on hook up with my newly purchased AVR-135 (which seems to be a great little unit for the money).

I got all set up with the component switching (HD receiver and DVD player) and that works great.

But I'm trying to add my son's PS2 in the mix using composite video (I have a PJ and I had run 1 set of components and 1 composite). Shouldn't I just be able to plug the PS2 into video 1 (composite video and L & R audio) and then run a composite from monitor out to the PJ? Doing this I get sound, but not video. Also when changing volume or inputs on see the on screen display. I tried the PS2 directly into the PJ with composite and that worked fine so I know all cords are working fine. I know probably rare that I would need the OSD once I get all set up, but just thought it would be easier to route everything through to the receiver rather then having the PS2 directly into the PJ.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well that composite cable should be input into its own input on the PJ. Make sure it is not on a input that shares video with another device/output.

This is what was partway wrong with mine. I tried to hook both monitor outs to video 1. When I did this my TV defaulted to the S-video even when there was no signal.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Quote:
well that composite cable should be input into its own input on the PJ. Make sure it is not on a input that shares video with another device/output.

This is what was partway wrong with mine. I tried to hook both monitor outs to video 1. When I did this my TV defaulted to the S-video even when there was no signal.
Humm, maybe I don't understand. But I did turn off my HD receiver and DVD player and manually changed my PJ to accept input from composite. I know the PJ is set right as I can see the On Screen Display stuff from the H/K (per the manual it will not show on component). I have no S video hooked up.

Now, I'm thinking my PJ MAY be getting confused between the H/K OSD signal and the PS2. But I'm not sure. Also, I'm not sure how, or if there is a way to map the H/K input on video 1 to composite.

As mentioned, I used DVD components on the H/K for my DVD player and video 2 components for my HD receiver and mapped optical audio to them. But, how does the H/K know what type of video you are using for each input? Is it automatic?

I thought the hard part would be all the component/optical stuff, that worked 1st time. And I could do the PS2 directly into the PJ (but my PJ has auto find on source, so if I could get it all hooked thru the receiver, it would be easy for my kids to understand to just mess with the receiver for inputs. Tho I guess essentially the same way if I hook the PS2 directly to the PJ, just loose the OSD of the H/K).

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
But, how does the H/K know what type of video you are using for each input? Is it automatic?
If you have Vid 3(for example) selected, it will use the composite vid 3 input and analog audio input 3. Make sure you have the composite and analog R/L audio connected to the same number input

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
On my unit Vid 3 is the front connections and I tried that as well. I can get audio, but not video. Sure seems like it SHOULD work....I bet I missing something really stupid and easy....

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you should have this -

COmposite cable form receiver's monitor out to TV(make sure these cables go to a their OWN input and not one that is being shared.

PS2 goes into (in this example) video 3 and the audio connections that are lables video 3

select on the receiver "video 3"

Change TV to input which the monitor out goes to

·
Registered
194 Posts
From the way you have described your set up it should be working. My only suggestion would be to try and test the composite cable running from the PS2 to the receiver. Since the projector is showing the OSD we know the cable from the receiver to the projector is working. (And I'll bet that is also the cable you used when you ran the PS2 directly into the projector.) So if you can hook the PS2 to the projector using the other cable you will know that both cables are working. I agree with you about figuring this problem out. You don't want to lose the ability to use your OSD.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Quote:
you should have this -

COmposite cable form receiver's monitor out to TV(make sure these cables go to a their OWN input and not one that is being shared.
I guess I'm not clear on "their own input and not one the is being shared". Let me back up and go through everything:

X-1 projector wired for Component (thru VGA breakout cable) and composite

No S-video wire ran

H/K component out to X-1 component

H/K composite monitor out to X-1 composite (on the X-1 composite is Vid 2 and switching the X-1 to vid 2 allows me to see and use the OSD of the H/K

Toshiba SD-H400 Tivo/Dvd player into H/K Component input labeled "DVD"

Voom HD receiver into H/K Component input labeled "video 2"

2 Optical inputs mapped to these and with the X-1 set to computer switching between the two on the H/K works perfect (with no noticeable loss of quality - my guts tell me there should be, but I don't see it).

On the rear of the H/K I have vid 1 that has composite video in and L & R audio. Using this, I get sound and no picture.

On the front of the H/K I have vid 3 that has composite video in and L& R audio. Using this, I get sound and no picture.

(On both I made sure the X-1 was on Vid 2 and changed the input on the H/K. In all cases I could still see OSD from the H/K as I changed inputs).

As an experiment, I unplugged the composite from the PS2 from the H/K and put it directly into the composite on my junction box. I then got a picture on the X-1 and audio thru the H/K. But of course doing this I loose the OSD of the H/K.

I wondering if the OSD on the H/K is competing with or interfering with the signal from the PS2? I'll go play around some more with it, but I really don't know what else to try. I don't have a long enough S-video even if I wanted to try it (which I really don't want to run another wire anyway).

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
make sure that whatever video you have the PS2 hooked up to isn't set to a component input that is actively receiving a signal. The OSD does not interfere, I got it to work

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Still no go. I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the H/K.

I put the composite out on Vid 2 of the H/K used for VCR's, DVR's and that worked. But of course no OSD.

I hooked everything the way I think it should be hooked up and tried my Satalite box instead of the PS2 and no go.

Basically I can't seem to get any image thru the Monitor out. The OSD works, but I get just a blue screen. I guess I could drag a regular TV in the room and try that to see if my X-1 is the one having the trouble.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.