AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping someone one here could help me. I need a big projector screen for our class reunion (so one use). We are projecting videos from the 90's throughout the reunion. What is the best material to use. The reunion is taking place in an old bank barn. Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmillers /forum/post/20892654

I was hoping someone one here could help me. I need a big projector screen for our class reunion (so one use). We are projecting videos from the 90's throughout the reunion. What is the best material to use. The reunion is taking place in an old bank barn. Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

Go to Home Depot and get 3 sheets of Thrifty White Hardboard (12.00 ea.)

Make a Frame from 1 x 6" that is 12' wide by 8' high, with at least 2 cross braces.

Screw the THW onto the Frame around the perimeter and glue onto the Braces.

The Factory edges of the TWH will blend very well together....good enough for your purpose.

For the best possible image for the least amount of effort and expense, consider coating the TWH once assembled with The Sherwin-Williams Duration Satin Extra White via Rolling using a 3/8" Nap Roller. One coat...a light sanding....another coat...and you'll have an excellent, very large Temporary Screen that cost about $70.00 or so, and that will accept either 16:9 or 4:3 formatted images

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/20895198

For a one time use, I wouldn't waste the time or money painting it.

For a one time use where many will view what are very important images to them...it's a worth expenditure in the least.

Besides that, the Raw TWH surface has a degree of Gloss that could result in glare. It's inexpensiveness allows for doing what needs to be done to step up the potential image quality to the next level.

To be really exacting on a suggestion, we need to know what PJ is being used, and how far away from the screen they intend to place it. It would be best to hear back from the OP/TS on that matter.

Besides...I'm dying to find out what a "Bank Barn" is.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus /forum/post/20895908

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_barn

A barn built into the side of a bank or hill!

Such a letdown --- I was hoping it was one filled with cash.

Here's a barn that gobbles up cash.....

I know. I live in it.

(check out that 3 level back deck....)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is too funny about the barn. Here, everyone knows what a bank barn is. I don't know what kind of projector, someone else is doing that part. I also read something about the Roclon (I think that's how it's spelled) fabric. Would that work? The board sounds good though. We can place the projector anywhere we want, it doesn't matter since the barn is so big.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts
Fabric stretched across a Frame...something like a heavy White 4-way Stretchable Spandex is another option. Or simply stretched between the Framing. But any decent fabric will still cost more than just a little bit per yard, might have wrinkles, and will not have anywhere near the reflectivity of the suggested painted Boards.

I betcha someone will wanna take that Big Puppy home anyway. Could even be 3 somebodys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.