AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a small amount of people with this similar problem on this forum but I cannot find them anymore! Whenever there are quick flashes of light either my DST3000 or Sony KP65xBR10W loses picture sync really fast then comes back. It can be VERY annoying. Any one with the same problem?

------------------

Kent Oberlin www.koberlinstudios.com

for HT pics!

[This message has been edited by koberlin1 (edited 05-15-2001).]

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Could be a power supply problem. Sounds like you need a service call. Cheap sets (not yours) are notorious for this as they put in cheap power supplies that can't output enough for explosions, flashes etc.

------------------

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think the people with the problem had either a Denon 2800 dvd player and/or a sampo 34" 16:9...search for either of those and you should be set

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you want a good test case, I recommend the James Cameron film "Aliens." Relatively near the end, there is a firefight in a darkened room that has a great strobe effect caused by muzzle flares. The stobing effect adds a lot of tension, excitement, and "fog of war" to the scene. It is also extremely difficult for televisions to reproduce. On my NTSC set, it just didn't display properly. I'm not sure if it was the MPEG2 decoder in the DVD player unable to keep up or if it was the TV unable to change colors so fast. The TV kept losing verticle sync. Anyway, if your TV & DVD player can play that scene well, you have a pretty good system.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. Thanks guys. Do you think thisd is a common problem with HDTV's in general. I can't even imagine extremely bright flashes or explosions playing back smoothly on any 1080i material...of course I have never seen it successfully done!

------------------

Kent Oberlin
www.koberlinstudios.com

for HT pics!

·
Registered
209 Posts
i used to have this problem with my old (non-HDTV) ProScan set. Dark to bright transitions would cause "Unusable Signal" to flash up briefly - caused by a brief loss of sync. I could always get the sync loss in the Twister DVD. After much usenet research, I finally discovered that it was caused by using a 2 cent capacitor rather than a 5 cent capacitor somewhere in the circuitry.

After many calls to Philips, they performed a free service call and replaced the thing. Bingo! Twister played like a champ.

It wasn't until 2 weeks later that I found another DVD which caused the sync loss again. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif So I guess it's a matter of degree, really.

Bottom line: I don't think this is a problem associated only with HDTV, but rather TV circuitry in general. I guess that entire brands of tv's use the same basic circuit layout, so if one set exhibits the problem, other sets by the same manufacturer probably will as well. I am bummed to hear that the HS10 line has the problem as well, since that is what I bought to replace the ProScan!

dinesh

------------------

DVI/HDCP sucks. DFAST sucks. Boycott JVC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ran the following thread a while ago; http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/012884.html

Neither Sony nor Toshiba were interested in seriously persuing a remedy for the problem, so I wound up returning the DST-3000 for a Sony HD-100 which does not cause the same problem (but has many other disadvantages). After experimenting with several STB's and TV's, it seemed clear that this particular problem is relatively unique to the Toshiba STB-Sony TV interface (and Sampro TV), and that the TV was dropping-out due to a corrupt signal from the Toshiba box.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK. So it could be two things:

1) A cheap capacitor in my set

2) A corrupt signal coming from the Toshiba Box

It sounds like Sony has no intention of fixing this according to ronmusser. The Toshiba box seems to also give me a another problem. Whenever I am watching CBS DT the sound cuts out after about 5 mins and I have re-tune to the CBS DT channel. I thought it might be a local LA CBS broadcasting problem but maybe it is my Toshiba Box. I like the box and it took me forever to choose it. It has NO fan and is sleek looking. My vendor would not accept the box back after 2 months.

I should call my Philips extended warranty plan on the TV and see if they can help. Then I guess I will call Toshiba if it is their box. What a crappy insignificant yet significant enough problem!!

------------------

Kent Oberlin
www.koberlinstudios.com

for HT pics!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, anyone have recommendations on a DVD I could use that has similar flashes. This way I can see if is indeed the Toshiba DST3000 or the TV!

------------------

Kent Oberlin
www.koberlinstudios.com

for HT pics!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The DVD Pitch Black was pitch black for most of the time on my Sony 53HS10, because half the movie was actually extremely bright (intentionally overexposed desert scenes to create an alien world effect), and my 53HS10 would blank out during anything bright. A tech replaced multiple boards and did some soldering and fixed the problem, which is due to bad power capacitors.

Also, the nuke scene in T2 does the trick.

------------------

Abdul

Click to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
My Sony 53XBR300 does the same thing. Occasionally it loses sync, image flashes, diagonal lines flash, it comes back in less than a second with a little green message telling me "DTV 1080i".

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.