AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for another Harmony question, but I searched and didn't turn up anything. I would like to purchase an 890, but wanted to know if it will control two setups. Here is the situation:

Living room has tv, dvr, and dvd player

Bedroom has tv, but would use the same dvr and dvd player as the living room by way of running cables from the components to the bedroom.

I know the 890 PRO is capable of this but I would like to save a little money. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Any Harmony should be able to do this if you just create seperate activities such as

Watch TV 1 and Watch TV 2 and use the appropriate devices for each. A concern would be the distance from the RF base if you plan on using the emitters. It may or may not be able to reach the base in the living room from your bedroom.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I thought it would work like that. Living room and bedroom share a wall, so I don't think distance will be a problem.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstang93 /forum/post/12894351

Sorry for another Harmony question, but I searched and didn't turn up anything. I would like to purchase an 890, but wanted to know if it will control two setups. Here is the situation:

Living room has tv, dvr, and dvd player

Bedroom has tv, but would use the same dvr and dvd player as the living room by way of running cables from the components to the bedroom.

I know the 890 PRO is capable of this but I would like to save a little money. Thanks.

I'm having trouble with this very scenario. The 890 wants to turn on the home theater projector in the "Watch TV" activity for the bedroom. The projector is automatically included in the equipment list for the "Watch TV" activity and I don't see how to remove it. It's turned on because it's included in the list. There's no choice there either. Everything in the list gets turned on.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you for some reason can't get the correct tv to turn on (or stay off) when creating a "Watch TV," you can create a utility activity, which will allow ultimate customization. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighting Guy /forum/post/12905356

If you for some reason can't get the correct tv to turn on (or stay off) when creating a "Watch TV," you can create a utility activity, which will allow ultimate customization. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll try that this evening.

I hope this isn't viewed as hijacking the thread because I'm having trouble with just the scenario the op has questions about.

I am very frustrated with setting up this remote. I want control at the next layer down from what it seems to provide. I want to control what gets turned on and it what order and especially the order in which things get turned off. My JVC RS1 requires two button pushes of the "off" button which can be easily set up. The problem is most of the time the loss of the HDMI handshaking that results from the HD DVD player being shut off happens between the "off" button presses, interrupting the "off" sequence. Then I have to turn the RS1 off manually. It would be really nice to be able to insert a pause between the HD DVD player's "off" and the RS1's "off".

I've searched and found nothing. Perhaps I should start a new thread.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm not positive how they work, but you can insert pauses when you shut down an activity. Although I think it would insert it last (and therefore be useless to you), what you could do is insert a pause, and then send the off command to the RS1 again. Then it will all be automated at least. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts