AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought a Philips 52" LCD HDTV. I wanted to wait for the Vizio LED TV that just came out but this was a good deal at Sam's. This is my first big-screen hdtv and its 1080p. My question is about the quality of the picture. Is it common for the image to be so clear that it loses the film/movie "look". It's almost TOO real. I watched a few Blu-Rays and it looked sorta like a sitcom. I have a 32" Vizio LCD 1080p and it doesn't seem to do this. So is it me just getting used to it or a picture quality problem.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendsetter09 /forum/post/18177519

So I recently bought a Philips 52" LCD HDTV. I wanted to wait for the Vizio LED TV that just came out but this was a good deal at Sam's. This is my first big-screen hdtv and its 1080p. My question is about the quality of the picture. Is it common for the image to be so clear that it loses the film/movie "look". It's almost TOO real. I watched a few Blu-Rays and it looked sorta like a sitcom. I have a 32" Vizio LCD 1080p and it doesn't seem to do this. So is it me just getting used to it or a picture quality problem.

Sounds like what is called "motion smoothing" which is separate from frame rate. Motion smoothing is designed to reduce the jerkiness, or "judder", that occurs when film-based content is displayed on a TV - say, when a camera slowly pans across a scene. Eliminating juddder can make movies look like they were shot with a video camera, an effect you might not like. On some TVs, you can control motion smoothing and the frame rate separately, but on others they are tied together.

I don't know if you can turn off the motion smoothing on your Phillips. If you can, that should solve your problem with film-based content.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts