AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading threads for a while now and still don't have a definitive answer. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I'm building the following system to play 95% rips and 5% Blu-Ray discs that I might want to pop in at any given time

CPU:*Core i3 530*2.93GHz LGA1156,

Motherboard:*GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3*LGA1156 Intel H55 chipset Mini-ITX, Memory:*G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ 2x2GB (4GB Kit)

HDD:*Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS*500GB SATA 3.0Gbps

Case:*Antec ISK 310-150*Mini-ITX, $77.

Windows 7

When reading the "Guide to building an HTPC thread" I noticed to slim optical drives listed in here. I only need a READER. No interest at all in writing.

LG CT21N

Sony Optiarc BD-5730S

1. Are these two still the best to look at or are there other alternatives.

2. What software will I need that will allow me to play back Blu-ray discs from within Media Center?

Thanks for the help

Josh

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshFink /forum/post/19592583

Any thoughts? I already have the other pieces ordered. I just want to order the Blu-Ray

Thanks

I usually go with the cheapest available, (unless of course the reviews are really bad). And it has served me quite well over the years.

Isn't the Sony a BD Burner?
Here check this page ; Asus has an external slim BD drive for $130 AR. You can take it out and use the internal guts.

For software, check the software guide at the top of the forum page.

Paid software like PDVD & TMT have their own plugin for MC. Check out WinDVD too, I don't know if it has a plugin.

Use Media Browser or My Movies as a front end to catalog your movies and for cool visual interface. These programs can also launch your external players (PDVD/TMT/WinDVD) from inside MC.
BD Playback
HD Audio on a PC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.