AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be a long one please stick with me .If you looked at this post please try to help.Ok my builder called and said if you are going to wire now is the time to do it.I was going to try to wire it myself but there is not any more time to learn so I will pay someone to wire for me.I was going to go X 10 but not sure with all the problems I see going on and not sure what system I will use,but will be runing wires,Here is what I want to do,I want to run 3 cameras that can can come on TV ,PJ when I want or if I can work it off a sensor so vcr does not have to run all day, just when motion is sensed. I would like it to work on two both PJ and TV at dirrerent times is fine. What wires from camera need to be done. I want system to turn all lights on,off,dim and macro if I I want to run things on one or so buttons.Can you have it turn on hot tub and how is it done.Did I forget to say I want to work everything on one touchscreen remote without any wires. If I put A/V gear in closet do I just have to run a IR repeater into view as to see signal for it to work.Now if I use a pre amp and amp is there a way to make it work in a different room if just making it work one room at a time I guess I need a IR repeater in that room also.Fill me in I am lost.I want electric screen for PJ to work and PJ to run on marcos also in possable.How will fireplace fit into all of this.If I want to work things on a timer can I. My main concern is to get as much wiring done so if in future it will be there any advice on what to wire and how so I have an idea,and if you have some good ideas I might like I can put some more wire.I wish I knew that I was going to do this before house was wired but you know us NYers we tend to the less imporant things first,lol.I have no time left so please help out a brother that was going to do this by himself but do not have enough time to learn ,Thanks for any input it is imporant to me,Vic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Victor, it's lakemirror from CF. Saw your post and had to reply even if it's not all the help you are looking for.

You ask a lot of questions for one post, man. Think of your project in this way: wire for every contingency now and worry about systems later. You'll want to run all your wiring back to a central point and terminate it there. Once you do that, you can install systems that automate, control, monitor and distribute whatever you need done.

Pull cat5e and rg6 everywhere. 1 of each to every camera location, 2 of each to every television location. Pull 2 cat5e to every telephone/computer location. Cat5e to each bank of light switches in the house. This doesn't even begin an exhaustive list of where to pull wire, your best bet is to pull more than any reasonable person ever would. Also, put empty conduit in for future runs for things your forgot, like from your wiring closet to the attic and to the garage, etc.

Others here and at places like comp.home.automation can help you better than I can. Here's something worth reading, though, about wiring: http://www.swhowto.com/ and http://www.hometech.com/learn/video.html and http://www.wildtracks.cihost.com/homewire/

Good luck, stay in touch.

Tom

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not even be on CF do to trying to learn this before walls went up and I even screwd that up.What do you run for power for cameras.Thanks hope you know more about cigars than A/V aand lighting,lol,Vic.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mmasterg314
I want to run 3 cameras that can can come on TV ,PJ when I want or if I can work it off a sensor so vcr does not have to run all day, just when motion is sensed. I would like it to work on two both PJ and TV at dirrerent times is fine. What wires from camera need to be done.

A simple solution for this is to use the CORE multicams. They have built in audio, IR illumination, and motion sensing. Coupled with the VCR commander that comes with it, you will record events based on motion. The only cable you'll need is a cat5 cable which will support everything, including the power to the camera. Here is a link, although do some surfing, as you can find them much cheaper than at smarthome.

http://www.smarthome.com/7603.html

Coupled with this system, you will need video distribution/modulation. To support this framework, run at the minimum one RG6 Quad Shielded Coax to every room with a viewing device (TV, PJ, PC w/ capture card). If you can, run two RG6's to every room to support separate distribution of Digital cable with Set Top Boxes, or to support source connection of VCR's, Video CamCorders, etc. in other rooms.

Channel Plus makes decent equipment for video distribution.

www.channelplus.com

I want system to turn all lights on,off,dim and macro if I I want to run things on one or so buttons.Can you have it turn on hot tub and how is it done.Did I forget to say I want to work everything on one touchscreen remote without any wires.

For turning on lights and other devices, X-10 is the cheapest way to go, coupled with a decent home automation controller. Depending on the level to which you want to automate will drive the specific type of controller needed. Some to research would be Homevision, Ocelot, Omni Pro, JDS Stargate, and others. If you want touch screen control, you can look into Crestron systems (Big $$$), or you can use inexpensive web enabled devices (Audreys, IPaqs, etc.). You'll likely need an house network, so plan on running at least one Cat-5e to every room for network. While you are at it, run an additional Cat-5e for phone.

If I put A/V gear in closet do I just have to run a IR repeater into view as to see signal for it to work.Now if I use a pre amp and amp is there a way to make it work in a different room if just making it work one room at a time I guess I need a IR repeater in that room also.Fill me in I am lost.

For whole house IR network you can use Xantech devices along with your channel plus gear. The RG6 that you ran to each room can also support IR via injecting the signal along with your Video distribution. You'll need IR receivers in each room, and IR emitters at the headend location for your AV equipment.

I want electric screen for PJ to work and PJ to run on marcos also in possable.

Again X-10 or hardwired outputs to your automation controller.

How will fireplace fit into all of this.If I want to work things on a timer can I.

X-10 and/or your automation/X-10 controller

My main concern is to get as much wiring done so if in future it will be there any advice on what to wire and how so I have an idea,and if you have some good ideas I might like I can put some more wire.I wish I knew that I was going to do this before house was wired but you know us NYers we tend to the less imporant things first,lol.

At a minimum I would suggest:

(2) RG6 Quad Shield Coax from every room to your head end AV closet

(2) Cat-5e from every room to your head end Network/Phone closet

(1) Cat-5 + 1 RG6 + 1 18/2 from every door to your head end Video distribution closet (in case you don't use the Multicams, the RG6 and 18/2 will cover other types of cameras)

(6) RG6 from the exterior of your home to your head end Video closet for FM antenna, Cable, Broadband, Satellite

(2) Cat-5e from the exterior of your home to your phone distributon/security panel for phone and security dialout

If you plan on whole house audio, then you need:

(1) 14/4 speaker cable from your audio AV to a keypad location in each room

(1) Cat-5 cable from your audio AV to a keypad location in each room

(1) 14/2 speaker cable from the keypads to each speaker in each room

If you plan on a security system:

22/4 wire from each sensor location to your security panel

(2) Cat 5 from your security panel to your automation controller if not next to each other

Use Cat 5 everywhere you can think of adding discreet control of devices like Fireplace, Doorbells, HVAC units, Garage Door Openers, Water Heaters (water sensors), etc. so forth.

Run conduit to as many places as possible for all those wires that you forget

I have no time left so please help out a brother that was going to do this by himself but do not have enough time to learn ,Thanks for any input it is imporant to me,Vic.

Unfortunately, you are behind the eightball. This type of planning takes alot of time and cannot be simply answered on a forum such as this. There are simply too many variables involved. You need to know somewhat the types of systems that you anticipate using, the types of functions you'll want, location of equipment, degree of complexity, etc. and so forth.

My best advice to you is as Tom suggested, and pull more wire than you think you will ever need. In general use:

RG6 for video distribution

Cat5e for phone/network

22/4 for security sensors

14/4 and 14/2 for audio

RG6 for line level distribution

Cat5e for general purpose multiconductor low voltage usage and serial communications

18/2 for low voltage power (Security cameras, security alarm horn, etc.)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys wow I was just going to run speaker wire in master bedroom,but did that and family room and some outdoor speakers.I ran some wire for IR relays to 3 areas including master bathroom.Ran wire for 4 cameras to PJ area and TV and put wire For VCR controller in hidden area.That was the best I was able to do today I probably did not run what I should have,I forgot this list home.I have cable ran to PJ,TV and 1 and only computer in house hi speed.I do not think I will go with a controller as they are alot of money for LCD keypads inless they can get hooked up to existing wires.I think touchlinc 4.0 needs to be run to computer and computer need to be on.How do you run touchlinc 4.0 hardwire to where and wire needs to be connected.If the walls do not go up right away and I have a chance to run more wires do you think I forgot some important wires that I might need,I can get a laptop for room to room in house with just one computer.This is all from a guy thats not an audiopile-videopile that was just buying a house and doing HT.This is what you guys are doing to me,making a poor man poorer,lol.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still in need of info,I ran a wire for IR for A/V does that mean I need emitters put on A/V gear,it will look funny being that A/V gear will be in site and might not go in closet is there another way to go about this.Now that I ran wire for cameras and might want one or two in house is it to late or can I use wireless camera to send signal but not have it run on batteries and send it to two tvs and record.To control HAVC system from bedroom do I need a wire ran or can you do it without wires.For a touchlinc 4.0 do you need wire from computer and computer has to be on to use it.For a IR to x 10 converter at smarthome(4040)if I want to use a Pronto it will not run everything in house if not what would I use and how to hook it up.for the leopard how to hook it up and where do you need wires ran to,I do not think I can you wires in house allready.It says you can ues it for independent operation,whats the deal with that and would cameras show up on iy.Wow I know I shoul have starter with this sonner but this was a last second thing.What do you need for a 8 button LCD keypad RS 485 wire and where does it go to computer and does computer have to be on.Thanks for all the help lakemirror,robetmee I wish I would have spoke to much sonner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.