AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and would very much appreciate a response to my question/problem.

I recently purchased a Denon 3805 receiver and am waiting on my Samsung HD950 DVD player from TVauthority. I know the DVD player can output SACD audio, but how does it connect to the Denon receiver, or can it? I do not see inputs on the back of the receiver for an SACD connection. Does "optical" transmit SACD multichannel audio?

Also, is the "optical" connection between the DVD player and the receiver able to send 7.1 audio through it?

Thank you SOOOO much for your help.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi

SACD is not output via the Optical or Digital Coaxial Outputs. You'll need to connect up three pairs of analog phono cables to the 7.1 External Decoder Inputs on the back of the Denon.

If you want to connect SACD digitally to your 3805 the only option would be to purchase a Denon DVD player that has Denon Link3. :)

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Yeah, the Denon manuals suck (translated about 6 or 7 times) but the gear is worth the extra effort. The optical or digital coax connection will carry all of your 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 DD/DTS/DDEX signals, but not hi-rez multichannel (such as SACD). You'll need to use analog (RCA) cables between the two units as the previous poster noted, but the trade-off is that you will be using the D/A converters in the DVD player instead of those in the 3805. A nice thing about DenonLink, other than connecting proprietary devices that were "meant to be together", is that you can keep the signal in the digital realm and let the 3805 do the processing and also take advantage of the auto-eq/room correction features of the 3805 (which may or may not be a big deal depending on your setup/environment). For me, and many other members, it's a dealbreaker and that's why there was so much anticipation surrounding the release of DenonLink3 (DL3) which transmits SACD hi-rez digitally to the 3805 for processing. DL3 also carries everything else, including DD, DTS, DVD-A, etc and leaves it in the digital format for the AVR (3805/5805/4806, etc) to process. Not to mention that it eliminates the need for 6-8 additional analog cables in the proverbial hive behind your gear.

Jason

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes, this is a set-up I am close to getting as well. Of course the issue is that for the price to get a DVD player with DenonLink, you could instead buy a Samsung HD-DV950 for eight of your friends! (The 3910 or above)

The other standard was of getting SACD digital would be iLink, with the advantage that iLink is inter-operable between different vendors - at least the two or three that use it, sigh, and those players are also expensive.

The specs on the Audio DACs in the HD-DV950 look good, so the six analog solution might not be bad - I think a few people in the DVD forum here have tried it and are happy. The other side effect is that you can use this method to play SACD in Zone two. The 3805 has the limitation that only analog sources can go to zone two, alas. Anyone know if the 3806 has the same limitation? Or for that matter, has anyone tried SACD into Zone 2, of course only two channels, so not sure what would happen if you played a multi-channel mix.

In my case the Zone two will be ceiling speakers in the kitchen, so might not need the same quality as the mains in the theatre room, but should work, I hope.

Also, as mentioned in other posts, you can get a set of six short cables with RCA connectors bundled together from several cable vendors (e.g. sponsors, BlueJeans, etc.) which might help the cable clutter. Because presumably you want to use the Bass Management in the 3805 for the DVD 5.1 mixes instead of the DH950, so need a digital conenction (eigher coax or optical) too, right? Or should one just go consistenly analog in this situation? Any opinons?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Yeah, I've got Zone 2 powering kitchen speakers where I feed the basic analog L-R from the 3910 into my CD input on the 3805 and use that for Zone 2. I'd love to have eq controls (treble freak that I am), but that won't fly unless I feed a pre-amp signal and use higher-end Zone 2 controls that I'm not interested in doing. For our needs, the Zone 2 (analog, no processing, etc) works great and we don't need an external amp/volume control. Of course, this will be a different story when we put out the deck speakers, but that's another walnut.

Jason

·
Registered
14,745 Posts
Of course, this will be a different story when we put out the deck speakers, but that's another walnut.

Jason[/quote]

Jason I have a 3802 and use a Adcom speaker switch box. I have kitchen and patio speakers hooked up to it works fine. I'm hoping the line-up of receivers coming out will allow for the use of digital sources for external zones.

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.