AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm replacing a satellite speaker that is connected to an old amp I have and my question is, the amp requires speakers with an 8 ohm impedance level, however the speaker I am attempting to connect says this on the back: Impedance: 4-8 Ohms. Does that mean that it has a range of 4-8 Ohms or something?? Sorry I'm a newb to all this!

Thanks a lot!

-Jay

·
Banned
1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexter /forum/post/18309915

Hey, I'm replacing a satellite speaker that is connected to an old amp I have and my question is, the amp requires speakers with an 8 ohm impedance level, however the speaker I am attempting to connect says this on the back: Impedance: 4-8 Ohms. Does that mean that it has a range of 4-8 Ohms or something?? Sorry I'm a newb to all this!

Thanks a lot!

-Jay

If your dealing with the good stuff you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexter /forum/post/18309915

Thanks a lot!

-Jay

There is no telling what it means-or what the manufacturer meant by it. A loudspeaker is NOT a constant impedance and has peaks and valleys. It is the valleys that give the rated impedance number.

I don't know what the dual number means-unless they thought it would be a good idea to state both numbers so people would think they could use it on equipment that was rated for either 4 or 8 ohms.

I would hook them up and see what you have. The worst case is that your amp will run hot and may shut down-or sound bad.

In most cases you will not actually damage the gear.

The only way to find out that the proper impedance rating is, is to do an impedance sweep with the proper test equipment. Other than that-who knows.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts