AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading somewhere on this forum about someone mentioning the new line of Toshiba HDTVs (I believe it is the **H81 line right?) coming out the first of August (only 9 days away).

Here's my problem.... I am diving into the HDTV arena and I just got my Best Buy credit card application approved and looking to getting either the Tosh. 56H80 or the 65H80, but am I much better off waiting a week and paying a little more to look at the new **H81's? Also, if its not too much trouble, can I have the technical specs differences (even if its directions to a website, etc) between the **H81 and further new **HX81's coming out in October? If the major difference is just the sound output, I don't much really need the **HX81.

What's holding me back between going ahead and getting either the 56" or 65H80 is Best Buy is offering free ground shipping on all big-screen TVs over $1200 right now... over waiting even this next week to see how much the new line will cost and what kind of upgrades they will offer over the **H80's. BTW, anyone know or have a reasonable idea on what the MSRP will be on the **H81's?

I know some of you are saying that "if I want the best, have to pay for it". While I will agree with that, wouldn't it be nice to save every penny possible? I do want a HDTV, a good one at that, but why not save some cash if possible... especially since I am going to be financing my purchase with a 'no interest for a year' type deal.

Thank you to all in advance for the very helpful info.

P.S. - Unless you can provide very convincing testimony or links to web sites and/or reviews for it, I don't think I can be swayed from Toshiba's line of HDTVs. I have read the forums, the reviews, specs, etc... and everything I have read (and seen in stores) points me to Toshiba.

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by HDTVwannabe (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I have just purchased the 65H80 and before I did this, I was also thinking about the new models coming out. I decided to go with the 65H80 because I figured that I am never going to be able to keep up with technology anyways so why wait. I also hear the price difference is going to be about 2k. I purchased my TV from Crazyeddie.com for $2399 so I could not go wrong with it. Good luck on what ever you decide.

------------------

Juan Ruiz

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too am going to buy the Toshiba 65H... I decided to wait for the new model for a couple of reasons.

1) Lighter weight by about 150 lbs.

2) 3" shallower depth

3) Improved CRT and line doubler

4) Lower price list on the 65H81 is $3400 and the 65HX81 is $3999. My guess is these should be able to be had for $2500 - $3000.

I hope this helps.

Mark

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just read a few messages back on the forum here that suggests that most of the Toshiba **H81 series is already out on the market. This true? I was under the assumption that the **H81's wouldn't be available until the first of August?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Wannabe,

Make sure that you aren't confusing the various model years for the Toshiba TheaterWide line. The xxX81 series was also 2 model years ago and was replaced by the xxH80 series.

I'm fairly certain that the latest displays have not yet been released. In fact the Tosh site doesn't list them at all http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/tv/65H80.html Rumor is they'll be out in 2 to 6 weeks.

[This message has been edited by Curtis (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Curtis,

Forgive me if I am confusing with what I am trying to say, but I know that the **H80 series is out right now and the new line (whichever that exactly is, **H8* series) is listed, by some, with July MSRPs. But I get the general feeling from most forum users and other websites, that the new series of TOshiba's won't 'hit the shelves' until, at least, the first of Aug.

Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lorelevit,

Those are some great pics. Thanks for the link. Best Buy must be slow in getting these new sets (or at least availabe for online purchase), because all they list are the **H80's and even older ones still, like the **H70's, **X70's and **X80's.

Thanks again... can't wait until I get my Toshiba TheaterWide either, just hope I can wait for a new **H81.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another thing that is adding to my haste in whether buying now or waiting a couple of weeks is that this deal Best Buy has for the 'no interest for a year' deal might end with the end of this month, too. There are other financing programs and deals I can probably get set up in-store as well as online offers, but this one figures to suit my needs more than well enough.

Trust me, financing a TV is definitely not the way I want to go, but I just can't afford to pay cash, without some help, for a decent-sized 16:9 widescreen HDTV, now or waiting for prices to drop. This is the only way for me and so I might as well get one now and pay it off, not have to do it later.

I hate this... do I wait a couple weeks and take the chance they might not even have the **H81's available yet and lose out on these deals, have to take next best financing program... or buy now and (try not to) worry about all those advanced upgraded improvements that I will have missed out on. I have a feeling that no matter what I decide to do there will always be the "woulda, coulda, shoulda's" to look back upon.

Anyone out there know (for certain) if Best Buy will be getting the new series of **H81's in the next couple of weeks... and how much they will be selling at?? Knowing those answers will help me out incredibly (I hope!).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just ordered the new 50H81 from OneCall. Before ordering I checked with a local Best Buy and they said the 50H81's would be in around August 5th. Their computer said they would be selling them for $2499. I did not ask about the larger ones, as I had made my mind up on the 50 incher. From what I've read in other threads the 50H81 is supposed to be followed by the 57H81 in a few weeks and I think the 65H81 (I think) after that. You may be able to drop in to your local Best Buy and ask them for more detailed info. They were able to pull the info on the 50H81 up very quickly.

On a side note, I would suggest waiting a little while to do more homework on the new models. Best Buy or someone like OneCall will almost always have a financing deal or delivery deal or both going. Make sure you get the right set for you as you will probably be living with it for a number of years.

------------------

Tod Gettys

[email protected]

·
Registered
393 Posts
The problem is, right now, the H80 series is running out of stock all over the place. The H81 series will take over where the H80s left off. As of right now, the H80s are being discontinued, so what you see in stores and online, is what you get. Best Buy's "no interest, no payments for 12 months" deal is designed to help them move inventory--in this case, with new lines of RPTVs coming from Toshiba and other manufacturers, they're trying to unload what H80 sets they have left. I also know that the deal "moves" from department to department, so it WILL come back--the trick is finding out when the next window is on RPTVs. As for the new 50H81, Best Buys vary from store to store for the stock they'll be receiving. You should check with your local Best Buy to see when they'll be getting stock--they should have a receipt date in their computers. You should also check with the store manager about their return policy. All BBs have a 30-day return policy, if you get a H80 set now and decide within 30 days that you don't want it, you could return it in exchange for one of the new H81s when they ARE in stock at BB. This way, you get the financing deal (make sure you check the fine print verify that you can do this) and if you decide to do the exchange, all you have to do is pay the difference. I know this is all kinda sneaky, but us workin' stiffs have to do everything we can to squeeze the most out of our hard earned dollars :)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You should think twice about getting the old model - the new xxHX81 series have new-technology ("Pegasus-II") CRTs and some other improvements like better video amps that supposedly improve resolution. Toshiba's claim is that the new sets have 1600 lines of horizontal resolution vs. 1200 for the old. We all know to take manufacturers' specs with a grain of salt, but when the manufacturer claims it's new sets have 33% better resolution than the old ones then you should pay attention.

Have a look at this PDF document for more information (note: this is from Toshiba Canada and doesn't cover all of the US models, but you should be able to get the general idea of the differences between some of the sets).

·
Registered
572 Posts
Sean,

Thanks for the link. The newest model is the 57HX81 and I agree that it looks like it's worth waiting for. Virtually all of the retail and online stores I have looked at who are offering the 56H80 are out of stock.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok. I think I know what I'm going to do. Just hope it doesn't come back to bite me you-know-where.

I've seen accounts from others (on different forums) that Best Buy will be getting shipments of 50H81's during the first week of August and shipments of 57H81's during the same week or week after.

I believe I am going to settle for the 57H81 afterall. While I would much rather prefer the larger 65H81, I don't think my living room (and viewing distances) will allow it. Also, I will be on vacation the week that the 57H81's should be available for delivery (if shipment dates are accurate), so everything points me in the direction of the 57H81... not to mention the few hundred bucks cheaper the smaller screen will be.

For whom it may concern or for those following "release dates" of the new models from BB or other retail stores... I hear that the 50H81 will be available during the first week of August (8/1) and the 57H81's will be ready to go on or after the second week of August (8/10)... this is from Best Buy, could be different for each individual retailer and e-tailer.

I will be calling my 'local' Best Buy (in Davenport (Quad Cities)) tommorow afternoon to find out for sure when they can expect their shipments of the new 5*H81's. Will report what I find out. I would imagine that most midwest or 'heartland' BB's have pretty much the same shipment dates.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I noticed that the local Best Buy (Porter Ranch, CA) was all out of Toshibas. Also the DTC-100 is labeled clearance and there were none in a box. The Toshiba STB was next to it with several in a box. The salesman said they were now going to sell the Toshiba STB instead. Looks to me like they are planning on a Toshiba push soon. Can't be bad for the HD format.

Rick

·
Registered
121 Posts
The 50H81 will be released the first week of August. Does anyone have any idea about the 50HX81? And, if BestBuy will carry same?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVwannabe:
Trust me, financing a TV is definitely not the way I want to go, but I just can't afford to pay cash, without some help, for a decent-sized 16:9 widescreen HDTV, now or waiting for prices to drop. This is the only way for me and so I might as well get one now and pay it off, not have to do it later.
Dude, don't do it. Financing *anything*, especially consumer electronics, is foolish. I understand your excitement at the prospect of getting one of these sets, but resist the urge. If it takes 6 months to save for it, so be it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, my hopes were raised quite a bit and then dashed (at least momentarily)... I just noticed today that the Best Buy website has the 50H81 available for purchase, for $2499.99. I was thrilled to see that, thinking it is a new addition to their list of available online TVs for me to think about buying. I checked it, after calling my 'local' BB to ask about it and the 57H81 (I'll get to that next)... and it isn't available for delivery in my area (the 50H81 listed on the website) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif , which leads me to believe that my 'local' (Davenport in Quad Cities) or any of the BB's close to my location in eastern Iowa do no have it in stock (yet), either. It raised my hopes to see it available to buy on the website cause I could always use the 50" for a 'fallback plan' if my bid to buy the 57H81 falls through within the next month. I'm sure the 50H81 can't be that far away from arriving at all Best Buy's around the nation (hoping it should be within the next week and a half), but if I have to wait too long for the arrival of the 57's after the 50's, I might just go with the 50H81. 50" of viewable widescreen television is quite a bit bigger than my 27" RCA. I'm rambling so I'll move on to the conversation I had with the guy in the Home Theater dept. at BB...

I called the store up and after 6-6:30 minutes of trying to either get someone from the dept. I wanted to pick up and going through other departments, I finally found a guy from the HT dept. I asked him if he might have a date for when they expect to get either the 50H81 and also the 57's. His response was, "The 57H81? (Yes) I didn't know we were even getting those in so it will probably be quite a while yet before we get them in. (Ok, thanks for your help.)"

So, as you all might be able to guess, the end of that very short conversation doesn't leave a real good feeling about me and the 57's being available anytime within the next month or so (at least locally). I'm not sure because he just mentioned the 57H81 in that he didn't know they were getting them and stupid me, I didn't question "Well, how about the 50"?", so I don't know if he meant those as well.

I plan on going up to said BB this weekend to check with someone there and see if they will check the computer to see about shipment dates for the 50 and 57H81's.

I guess I am getting too anxious (and too worked up) about getting my new TV (whichever I do finally decide upon), but I have this feeling about me that reads something like, "oh, to be so close, yet still so far away." Right now, I figure I have to decide upon which suits me and my situation best... the 50" or 57". Obviously, the first HT-enthusiast instinct is to go bigger, but I will have to really do some measuring about the living room to try and find what size is really best for me.

Whew... I think I better stop typing before the mods ban me for writing a novel on the forum. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/tongue.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.