AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very basic question and haven't found the basic answer so hopefully someone will respond, please be kind
. I have an old Sony STR receiver and may possibly replace it with something like either of the following:

Onkyo TX-SR604

Pioneer VSX 1016

I have two HDMI sources and one Svideo source. My question is, will either or both receivers allow video switching for HDMI and Svideo to go out over the HDMI output to the display so I would only need one HDMI cable from the AVR to the display? I guess the real question is, are these able to send any video input, whether it's component, composite, HDMI or Svideo out through the HDMI output?

Other AVR suggestions for my situation would also be welcome and appreciated, budget is the $350 range.

·
Registered
12,372 Posts
Sending analog video (480i) over HDMI is possible however make sure your display can handle 480i through HDMI..

Many can not!!

To do this reliably the AVR needs to have a de-interlacer circuit, which converts the 480i to a 480p similar to what most DVD players have.. These AVRs are more $ such as the Yamaha RXV-2700 can do this.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so sending Svideo is different if it is sent over HDMI vs. sending it directly into the panal via Svideo connection? If I plug the Svideo cable directly into the svideo connection on the plasma it works fine, is it correct to say that it would be a NTSC signal which going into the panel via svideo and that's different than 480i which is what it is going over HDMI, is that correct? Or is the display simply able to handle 480i over analog connections.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.