Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Optoma HD65

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on my second PJ, having upped from a 4805 to a Samsung 710 last year. Very happy and learned so much in this forum. But having been away for a while, need a bit of quick advice as my cousin, who is neither able to research much not has the time, would like me to get him started when we visit him next week. As he lives a fair distance away and we don't meet much I'd like to get this figured out as closely and quickly as possible.

Time is of the essence as I will be buying the PJ for him at my address and taking it there (July 3). He is so NOT an online guy it's scary, but I love him and he's my best friend in the whole family, and it would give us great joy and bonding to do this together.

He has identified a budget of $1K but it seems for the right pick he might stretch 100-200. I advised him to stay with 720P as 1080 in that budget, even if available (I doubt it) would be risky.

I have not seen his new home yet but he described the basement finished room as about 10' wide by 25' deep, with a suspended ceiling at around 8'. He is currently using the room as a general use area, with a desk and such. I told him he could segregate it and all he'd really need is around 12', or half the depth of the room. He thought he wanted a 50" screen but I sternly told him he HAS to go at least 80" or a PJ is not the right thing for him. (I am currently at 104" at 12' which is great). When we meet I will try to push him in the larger direction.

So the choices, in no particular order and followed by Amazon prices today, are:

Mitsu HC1500 (780)

Sony VPLAW10 (900)

Optoma HD72 (850)

Optoma HD71 (1200)

Optoma HD65 (900)

Now I know there will be favorites and the votes will likely be all over the map based on that. But keep in mind this is a newbie with not much time or technical inclination, who is moving up from like a 32" CRT. (I will be helping to install it and maybe build a DIY screen). So neither expectations nor fiddle factor is extremely high. What does matter is reliability, simplicity and ability to fit into this room, with cost (as in bang for buck) being the great overlayer.

I look forward to your comments.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I voted for the HC1500, although one of the Optomas might be a better choice. An 8 foot ceiling might put the picture a little too low with the Mits. Whatever you choose, make sure it's going to fit in the room, especially the offset angle.

Jim

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dunno if HE is susceptible to RBE. Good point as I am not so didn't even think of it.

Yes the ceiling height can be an issue. Will the Mitsu be too low then? What's the height off the floor, of the bottom of the image, if the Mitsu is hung from 8' (actually less, considering an additional drop unless we can attach the mount to the studs)?

Thinking of the ATDEC mount for him; this is what I use and it's very versatile. It has a minimal drop: http://www.amazon.com/Atdec-TH-WH-PJ...4491504&sr=8-2

·
Registered
1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCK7 /forum/post/14164297

Dunno if HE is susceptible to RBE. Good point as I am not so didn't even think of it.

Yes the ceiling height can be an issue. Will the Mitsu be too low then? What's the height off the floor, of the bottom of the image, if the Mitsu is hung from 8' (actually less, considering an additional drop unless we can attach the mount to the studs)?

Thinking of the ATDEC mount for him; this is what I use and it's very versatile. It has a minimal drop: http://www.amazon.com/Atdec-TH-WH-PJ...4491504&sr=8-2

I know you have to make a decision soon, but you may want to have him take a look at some DLP PJ's at a local BB, CC, etc. to see if he's susceptible. If you have to make a decision without knowing if he's susceptible to RBE you might want to get him an LCD unit.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 /forum/post/14165595

Sharp dt-510 at amazon otherwise go for the Mits for $720

I agree with this. As far as RBE, tell him to go to any TV store and view their largest DLP TV and see if he has any problems. That can be done quickly and will answer the question.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again. I talked to him about RBE and he will try to test for it.

The choices seem to be down to 3 units - Mits 1500, Mits 3000 or Sharp. Very few reviews on the last two it seems. What are the major differences in the two Mitsu units?

·
Registered
108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCK7 /forum/post/14172176

Thanks again. I talked to him about RBE and he will try to test for it.

The choices seem to be down to 3 units - Mits 1500, Mits 3000 or Sharp. Very few reviews on the last two it seems. What are the major differences in the two Mitsu units?

The 1500 is brighter and cheaper. The other two offer more contrast.

For me, it would be simple: if I had the extra cash and didn't need the lumens to light up a gigantic screen or overcome ambient light in order to have a nice picture w/ the lights on or during the day, I'd go w/ the Sharp or the 3000; otherwise I'd get the 1500.

(Note: this is not to say that the 3000 and Sharp are dim or that the 1500 throws a poor picture. The 1500 still throws a nice image and some have said the Sharp is plenty bright.)

·
Registered
437 Posts
I own the Mits HC1500 and have seen several of the others in action. At under $800, I cannot imagine getting any better bang for the buck than the Mits. Unless you can find an HC3000 (discontinued) or Sharp DT-510 (my second choice but I couldn't find a single review at the time I purchased) for the same price, I'd highly recommend the HC1500.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts

I am on my second PJ, having upped from a 4805 to a Samsung 710 last year.

How do you like your 710? I heard it has excellent color reproduction.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCK7 /forum/post/14163686

I am on my second PJ, having upped from a 4805 to a Samsung 710 last year.

How do you like your 710? I heard it has excellent color reproduction.

I like it plenty well. Note that my frame of comparison is a 4805, and that in a different house. That setup's walls were dark, incuding ceiling. Haven't gotten around to painting this one yet but hope to do so before the summer is out. With light walls and white ceiling, perhaps the picture could be a little brighter. But PQ is very very good. Yes, colors are excellent, again using my limited frame of reference (but the 4805 was no slouch, esp in its time).

All that said, the widely-known caveat about QC for this pj applies. My first one was DOA and was exchanged. This one is over 300 hours and doing fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts