AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just have a quick question as I've recently come over someone selling a 2008 50" Pioneer Plasma very cheap as a parts machine locally, however this is due to the front glass having been slightly cracked when being moved. Mainly is that somewhat that would be repairable, much less at a reasonable cost or is it like I suspect render it as little more then the parts machine its being sold as?

Also sadly they didn't give the exact model number but I am considering asking for more information if it'd be warranted. Ie if its realistically fixable, if not then I'd rather not waste my time.

·
Registered
573 Posts
You'd need a brand new panel replacement which will most likely cost you 5-10x what you pay for the used panel itself, that's if Pioneer even has any to replace it with....

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestar60 /forum/post/20900369

Hi I just have a quick question as I've recently come over someone selling a 2008 50" Pioneer Plasma very cheap as a parts machine locally, however this is due to the front glass having been slightly cracked when being moved. Mainly is that somewhat that would be repairable, much less at a reasonable cost or is it like I suspect render it as little more then the parts machine its being sold as?

Also sadly they didn't give the exact model number but I am considering asking for more information if it'd be warranted. Ie if its realistically fixable, if not then I'd rather not waste my time.

The panel is what you pay a premium for. The rest of the electronics are relatively cheap and while they'll help you if you can find a screen to put in, buying a panel itself from Pioneer would cost you WAY more than just finding a used, working Pioneer. The only way it would be workable would be if you could find another broken set for cheap to go with it that had fried electronics, but a good screen. That's somewhat unlikely though since most people with a Pio know what they have and will opt to get bad electronics replaced rather than trashing the set. Nearly all the broken Pioneers you see are ones with trashed screens and they're pretty much only good for parts for people who have an an otherwise working set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.